How accepting are you of camera distortion?

"Now the question is: if it was you having your portrait made, would you want the wide angle version? Of course not. No one would."

You're right. But let's guess that unfortunately there's still the majority of those selfie people out there who don't care and like it not to have to deal with DOF (a benefit of wide angle lenses), right? :)

@ Android users
"Toolwiz Photos 8" offers lens correction. Well, TBH - I haven't checked that option. But the app is worth a look anyway! :alien:

FundyBrian
I had a try and tweaked the window section of your wide angle shoot with Snaapseed's transform-option.
IMHO it went fine while it might have add some more distraction. If you want to discuss let me know and I'll post it.
I appreciate your interest in this topic. The distortion of the window frame isn't really the main topic of the example but I think it further demonstrates the amount of distortion in the image, but I'm sure it could be minimized in something like SKEW. My main interest was in demonstration how much a person's face goes out of shape when using a wide angle lens.
The lens corrections don't negate the effects of wide angle distortion. They correct for such things as chromatic aberrations, corner exposure vignetting, and barrel distortion. Adobe Lightroom Mobile also does this but the results are difficult to see on a small screen.
The depth of field at ƒ2.2 on an iPhone lens is quite amazing. In fact that is often a problem, leading to using such apps as Tadaa to create a shallow depth of field effect.
I really enjoy using wide angle lenses and taking advantage of the distortion for dramatic effect. If you are a wide angle lens enthusiast you soon enough discover when the wide angle works magic and when it wreaks havok upon the subject matter.

Back
Top Bottom