IMAGE RESOLUTIONS AND RESIZING

AlyZen Moonshadow

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
I’ve been asked many times by friends and acquaintances about image resolutions and the resizing of images on the iPhone, and how this affects print quality, with particular emphasis on sites such as RedBubble, Zazzle, FineArtAmerica, deviantArt, etc.

In plain English - what resolution should you set your images, to sell as quality prints etc on these sites?

RedBubble’s minimum size guide is:

Greeting Cards: 1300x900 pixels (1 megapixel)

Matted Prints: 1800x1260 pixels (2.5 megapixels)

Laminated, Mounted and Framed Prints and Stretched Canvas:
2400×1600 pixels (4 megapixels) for the small print
3240×2160 pixels (7 megapixels) for the medium print
3840×2560 pixels (10 megapixels) for the large print

Posters:
2500×3500 pixels for the smallest print 3500×5000 pixels for the medium print 5000×7100 pixels for the large print

Calendar images:
2182x1906 pixels for the months and
2371x2875 pixels for the cover

Clothing: exactly 2400×3200 pixels (and the file must be a PNG)

Zazzle’s resolution guide is:

150ppi (pixels per inch) for apparel, aprons, bags, hats, mousepads, and ties.

200ppi for mugs, drinkware, calendars, cards, keychains, magnets, postcards, and all stickers.

300ppi for custom postage. 100 ppi for photo enlargements/prints, and posters.

In case you’re confused, as RedBubble speaks in terms of pixels whilst Zazzle speaks about ppi…basically, to see what the maximum size your image can be without pixellation or blurring, divide your pixels by the ppi. So, for example if your original image is 4800x3600 pixels, dividing this by 300 ppi (the industry standard for quality prints) gives you a maximum size of 16x12 inches. Zazzle claims to be able to print good quality at right down to 100ppi - so if this is true, then a 4800x3600 pixels image at 100ppi will give you a maximum size print of 48 x 36 inches. I haven’t tested this out myself, so I can’t say if the quality is as good as claimed. RedBubble, on the other hand, states that at 150ppi, pixellation or blurring may start to happen.

FineArtAmerica has a print size table, which unfortunately doesn’t fit here. Here is the link: http://fineartamerica.com/create-art-online.html Their table has a number of errors in it, though…however, the general rule of thumb is - FAA wants your images to be at least above 1800x1800 pixels.

deviantArt has a great explanation of image resolutions, and a chart showing maximum image sizes at 150ppi and 300ppi. It also claims that clear prints can be gotten from as low as 100ppi. Again, the chart won’t fit on this page, so here is the link: http://help.deviantart.com/132/

I generally go by what I call the “Rule of 300”. For convenience, I like to resize my final images on Iris Photo Suite at 1200x1600 pixels if it’s portrait or landscape, and at 1200x1200 pixels for a square format. The iPhone 4 saves at a default of 1936x2592 pixels, which, as you can see, is not easy for calculating print sizes (it comes to about 6x8 inches maximum at 300ppi). Saving at the resolution I choose means the image takes up less space on my iPhone 4, allowing me to store more images in its memory bank…I’ve had 6000+ images on my iPhone 4 without any problems with storage space.

I’m not sure of the mechanics of it, but resizing the image larger, for example, from 1200x1600 pixels to 3600x4800 pixels on the iPhone 4 (using Iris Photo Suite) before transferring it to the computer, does not seem to affect the sharpness or quality of the image. I think this could be because the pixels are there all right, just compressed, and resizing the image upwards just makes them expand a little more. (Similar to creating a Zip file, perhaps, which compresses the information, but allows it to be de-compressed or Unzipped at the receiving end without loss of information). It’s NOT the same as resizing a low-resolution image to a high-resolution, where there are not enough pixels to go around, so the pixels explode outward into empty space, causing pixellation and blurring. Like I said, I’m not an expert, but this is my theory, it works for me just fine, so if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it! ;-)

I’ve read on some photography sites that resizing of a photo should be done BEFORE attempting any modifications to the image. This may hold true for traditional Photography, I’m not a photographer so I can’t comment on that. However, the way I process my iPhoneography images is, I tend to run them through at least 3 if not more Apps, before finalising them. The way I look at it is, each time I add a filter or effect, I’m effectively adding more pixels to the mix. When I’m done processing, the “pot” will be so full of pixels that resizing it larger should not cause pixellation or blurring. And that’s why I always Resize LAST.

Hope this helps! :)

Nice thread,
I'm relatively new to iPhone (3 months). Out of interest, are there any apps which would
Enable me to shoot in 'raw' on iPhone and are there any 'raw' processing apps for the iPhone?

Hi Gareth, I found this link http://sites.google.com/site/iphotoraw/
which might help. There might be other Apps out there, but Photoraw seems to be the best.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Aly, but it looks like iPhotoRaw is just a viewer for RAW image shot with other cameras, not a shooting app, which I think Gareth was after. To my limited knowledge I don't think there are any apps that shoot native RAW as yet - but I'm happy to be proved wrong. :)

You're probably right, Richard, I just looked up "Raw for iPhone 4" and this link came up. I'm not a photographer or a techie, but I felt the link might have further details or info that could help Gareth.

richardcb said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, Aly, but it looks like iPhotoRaw is just a viewer for RAW image shot with other cameras, not a shooting app, which I think Gareth was after. To my limited knowledge I don't think there are any apps that shoot native RAW as yet - but I'm happy to be proved wrong. :)

Actually, Richard, I just remembered where I'd come across RAW before while App surfing. There IS an iOS App that supports the processing of RAW images, but only via the iPad/iPad2, though. It may be that RAW images eat up too much space for an iPhone to cope with, as otherwise with Snapseed being a universal iOS App now, the developers would not have stated "requires iPad or iPad2".

Gareth, the App is Snapseed. To access its RAW function though, you'll need a Camera Connector Kit to transfer your photos. So, while this may not answer your question fully about an iPhone RAW processing or shooting app, we're halfway there if you have an iPad/iPad2. :)

Actually, Richard, I just remembered where I'd come across RAW before while App surfing. There IS an iOS App that supports the processing of RAW images, but only via the iPad/iPad2, though. It may be that RAW images eat up too much space for an iPhone to cope with, as otherwise with Snapseed being a universal iOS App now, the developers would not have stated "requires iPad or iPad2".

Gareth, the App is Snapseed. To access its RAW function though, you'll need a Camera Connector Kit to transfer your photos. So, while this may not answer your question fully about an iPhone RAW processing or shooting app, we're halfway there if
you have an iPad/iPad2. :)

Great stuff, have SnapSeed on my iPad2, connector I ordered from a store in Johnnesburg SA.
Will take looksee. Much appreciated. 

Very interesting Aly. I think that you have solved a problem for me. My niece wants one of my photos as a graduation present. She picked one from the iPhone 3 that was heavily processed and at a low resolution. ( approximately .5 MP. The site where I want to print requires a min of 1 MP for their smallest print. I will have to try Iris and see if it can resize this for me. if anyone knows of other methods, I would love to hear about them as heavily processed phones on the iPhone tend to be small in size.

Mobitogers may be interested in this FL company called Fracture. They print your photo on glass. Here is a link to their web site. http://www.fractureme.com/about

Reed said:
Very interesting Aly. I think that you have solved a problem for me. My niece wants one of my photos as a graduation present. She picked one from the iPhone 3 that was heavily processed and at a low resolution. ( approximately .5 MP. The site where I want to print requires a min of 1 MP for their smallest print. I will have to try Iris and see if it can resize this for me. if anyone knows of other methods, I would love to hear about them as heavily processed phones on the iPhone tend to be small in size.

Mobitogers may be interested in this FL company called Fracture. They print your photo on glass. Here is a link to their web site. http://www.fractureme.com/about

Reed, try Perfect Resize 7 (previously known as Genuine Fractals). It claims to be able to enlarge up to 1000% without loss of pixels or blurring. There's a 30 day free trial, it's available as an Adobe add-on, or via Apple Aperture, or as a stand-alone programme. Might do a better job than Iris.

If your image was shot using the iPhone 3G the resolution will be only about 1280x720 pixels. Only slightly more for the 3Gs. If you're still using the iPhone 3 and Iris, Iris may restrict the maximum number of pixels allowed. It seems to recognise the iPhone specs. My iPhone 4 and Iris will allow a max 4800x4800 pixels, if I try 5000 it tells me that's too much.

You're a life saver Aly! I finally figured out how to resize in Iris and now all my photos are BIG. 

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

Another question:

I was wandering around the iphoneart gallery and they mentioned that images should be at least 300 DPI for best printing . I did some searching and found this but I am still not sure about the PPI ( above ) the DPI . I get Pixels but I think I'm missing something:confused: . So here's the question : If you have an heavily apped image that is 4200 x 3100 pixels...what PPI or DPI will give you the best professional print let's say at 8 x 10 ?

I'M ALL CONFUSED! How do you get an image's pixels 4200x3100 on an iphone? I haven't done any printing yet but am looking into it (slowly) and have lots of questions - where to print, how much to charge, editions, size, ... on and on...?
so any info on where to look for answers would be cool.
THIS HAS BEEN AN AWESOME THREAD!!

I'M ALL CONFUSED! How do you get an image's pixels 4200x3100 on an iphone? I haven't done any printing yet but am looking into it (slowly) and have lots of questions - where to print, how much to charge, editions, size, ... on and on...?
so any info on where to look for answers would be cool.
THIS HAS BEEN AN AWESOME THREAD!!
Yeah Brett ! That's me too...so what I did was to send a completed image to myself. Then ( according to iphoneart suggestion ) the site seems to be offline right now or I would give you the link, increased the resolution from 72 to 300 dpi..using perfect photo suite ( their suggestion - free demo). They suggest that increasing dpi NOT be done on your iphone but on a desktop for best printing resolutions. Ok, so I did that and when I looked at the pixel size again..it was that large !!!:eek: So I don't know head or tails right now. What do sites want ( iphoneart etc...) and what's good to send to a graphic printer ? I don't think I have any work yet that I can see printed on a poster :confused: but after reading ppi then dpi...yep I'm confused too ! :D

PerfectResize and the PerfectImage suite is terrific, PC or Mac. They have a newer version just released, and I am avoiding looking at the promotions about it. The 30 day free is a generous offer. It caused me to buy ther version that I have.
I'm on an iPad 2 & 3, and find I go to Big Photo iOS for pads, pods and phones, both to check resolution, to upsize images made through ShockMyPic and other apps, and to avoid the laptop almost entirely. Filterstorm has an upscaling tool, too.
Could anyone tell me if I should get Iris, when I use Laminar, Filterstorm, Snapseed, PhotoWizard, Luminance, PerfectlyClear,Photogene, PhotoToaster, ect. in my photo editing folder. I keep seeing gorgeous images that many of you are making, in which you have applied the use of Iris. I know the capabilities of each of these apps, but what would Iris add?

PerfectResize and the PerfectImage suite is terrific, PC or Mac. They have a newer version just released, and I am avoiding looking at the promotions about it. The 30 day free is a generous offer. It caused me to buy ther version that I have.
I'm on an iPad 2 & 3, and find I go to Big Photo iOS for pads, pods and phones, both to check resolution, to upsize images made through ShockMyPic and other apps, and to avoid the laptop almost entirely. Filterstorm has an upscaling tool, too.
Could anyone tell me if I should get Iris, when I use Laminar, Filterstorm, Snapseed, PhotoWizard, Luminance, PerfectlyClear,Photogene, PhotoToaster, ect. in my photo editing folder. I keep seeing gorgeous images that many of you are making, in which you have applied the use of Iris. I know the capabilities of each of these apps, but what would Iris add?

Thanks Carolyn, I just downloaded Big Photo ( don't know why I don't have it )...so what you're saying is that you can raise the resolution using ipad and skip desktop. But is dpi/ppi a personal choice for resolution or is there a # that you should finish your images in consistently ? :)

I have all the apps that you mentioned above...I use Filterstorm and Iris for resizing but not the dpi/ppi thingy...

Thanks Carolyn, I just downloaded Big Photo ( don't know why I don't have it )...so what you're saying is that you can raise the resolution using ipad and skip desktop. But is dpi/ppi a personal choice for resolution or is there a # that you should finish your images in consistently ? :)

I have all the apps that you mentioned above...I use Filterstorm and Iris for resizing but not the dpi/ppi thingy...
Yes, I mostly avoid the MBP in favor of my iPad. The iPad is much more fun.
I have gotten surprisingly good prints from low resolution images, using my Epson, and good paper, but I would rather work with larger image sizes. Work and save at the best resolution possible, rather than resizing, if you want to print. That said, when I need to upscale an image Big Photo does a good job. It works best up to 200%, but I have pushed it farther, with success. PerfectResize gives you even more leeway.
I do print from my MacBook Pro, and my wider printer when I am making an "art" print, and I have a cheap wireless Epson printer, which I use from my iPad. It makes decent prints, but with less control. DPI/PPI and target size matter when you know how you want to use your images. A huge part of the value of digital image making is developing your eye, your skills, and vision -- think about the technology when it serves your purposes todo so, but don't let it get in the way of your fun and visual explorations.

Back
Top Bottom