IMAGE RESOLUTIONS AND RESIZING

Yes, I mostly avoid the MBP in favor of my iPad. The iPad is much more fun.
I have gotten surprisingly good prints from low resolution images, using my Epson, and good paper, but I would rather work with larger image sizes. Work and save at the best resolution possible, rather than resizing, if you want to print. That said, when I need to upscale an image Big Photo does a good job. It works best up to 200%, but I have pushed it farther, with success. PerfectResize gives you even more leeway.
I do print from my MacBook Pro, and my wider printer when I am making an "art" print, and I have a cheap wireless Epson printer, which I use from my iPad. It makes decent prints, but with less control. DPI/PPI and target size matter when you know how you want to use your images. A huge part of the value of digital image making is developing your eye, your skills, and vision -- think about the technology when it serves your purposes todo so, but don't let it get in the way of your fun and visual explorations.

This all good stuff Carolyn and Delta - Dpi is easy for me to do as I catalogue most of my images in Light Room and I often have to resize scans of my artwork (to lower res) for the web and digital entries.
My Epson is ok but I know the difference. May work with a local printer here when I am ready. Don't really see the point in poster size work anyway.
Can't wait to get an ipad so I can actually see what I'm doing.:)

Pixels are for screen resolution and Dots are for printed materials. The surface that you are printing on will have an impact e.g. If printing to good quality paper I would always aim for 300dpi but with rougher surfaces you can get away with less. On fabrics I aim for 150dpi but you can sometimes go with less if the fabric is coarser or more open weave or if the image does not need to be as sharp, think grunge or lots of variation in the image. I have Perfect Resize on my notebook and have found it works well. Photoshop has a resizer built in but it is fairly limited IMO. I always try and work with the best quality image (size/resolution) I can to start with as it is easy to scale down later but harder to scale up.

Pixels are for screen resolution and Dots are for printed materials. The surface that you are printing on will have an impact e.g. If printing to good quality paper I would always aim for 300dpi but with rougher surfaces you can get away with less. On fabrics I aim for 150dpi but you can sometimes go with less if the fabric is coarser or more open weave or if the image does not need to be as sharp, think grunge or lots of variation in the image. I have Perfect Resize on my notebook and have found it works well. Photoshop has a resizer built in but it is fairly limited IMO. I always try and work with the best quality image (size/resolution) I can to start with as it is easy to scale down later but harder to scale up.

Ahhh thank you !!! I suppose , before I app anything, I should check the pixels and dpi...up them if necessary then app...makes sense..as you said, easier to scale down than to scale up !

Back
Top Bottom