Ios 6.0.1?

Yeah, they kinda sneaked that one out. However, it was already installed on my new...cough...iPad mini when I got it early this morning. :cool:
Aaannndddd... :rog:

I did play with one on Wednesday and was rather impressed tbh, although I am seriously disappointed they did not include the Retina screen... :barf:

Aaannndddd... :rog:

I did play with one on Wednesday and was rather impressed tbh, although I am seriously disappointed they did not include the Retina screen... :barf:

I only powered it up 20 mins. ago - give me a break! :p

Re Retina - I honestly don't miss it. If you were looking at an iPad 3 screen and then switched straight to an iPad mini then, of course, you'd notice a difference. But the smaller screen seems to 'compress' things more and gives a very acceptable viewing experience. That a Retina min is on the way there can be little doubt but for now this'll do nicely.

The real plus factor is the handling. The mini is so small and light it's a joy to hold. They've even included a 'thumb detection' feature so that if you're holding the mini in one hand and using the other hand to swipe and tap the screen, your thumb will not register. Really useful because the margins of the frame are so thin it's easy for a thumb to stray onto the active part of the screen. Pure Apple genius!

I only powered it up 20 mins. ago - give me a break! :p

Re Retina - I honestly don't miss it. If you were looking at an iPad 3 screen and then switched straight to an iPad mini then, of course, you'd notice a difference. But the smaller screen seems to 'compress' things more and gives a very acceptable viewing experience. That a Retina min is on the way there can be little doubt but for now this'll do nicely.

The real plus factor is the handling. The mini is so small and light it's a joy to hold. They've even included a 'thumb detection' feature so that if you're holding the mini in one hand and using the other hand to swipe and tap the screen, your thumb will not register. Really useful because the margins of the frame are so thin it's easy for a thumb to stray onto the active part of the screen. Pure Apple genius!
Kah, call yourself an iPad fanboy... :rog:

Actually, I cannot argue with you, or other pundits, that the smaller screen will help make up for the lack of Retina - my gripe is based on the fact both the iPhone and iPad 3rd Gen have it and it is not clever of them to omit it from this new entry, imhgo... :barf:

Especially as the price couldn't stand to be much higher anyway, otherwise it is both impinging on entry level iPad 2 and moving further away from the competition - just seems like penny pinching to me... :D

But I still want one... :zip:

Actually, I cannot argue with you, or other pundits, that the smaller screen will help make up for the lack of Retina - my gripe is based on the fact both the iPhone and iPad 3rd Gen have it and it is not clever of them to omit it from this new entry, imhgo... :barf:

Especially as the price couldn't stand to be much higher anyway, otherwise it is both impinging on entry level iPad 2 and moving further away from the competition - just seems like penny pinching to me... :D

I feel your pain, fellow iPad fanboy... :lol:

Me,too.

Yeah, they kinda sneaked that one out. However, it was already installed on my new...cough...iPad mini when I got it early this morning. :cool:

Odd, mine didn't :D Maybe yours is newer than mine. Just installing 6.0.1 on it now.

I've had a play with it though while it was restoring all my apps and stuff. It's an odd device somehow.. it isn't all that much smaller than an ipad, but it seems like it is. The screen doesn't feel too small though - you're basically getting the exact same experience as the big ipad, but condensed.

I can't say I'm missing the retina screen much either - and I've been working on an ipad 3 all morning. It's obviously not as pleasurable, but it's nowhere near as bad as going to an ipad2 after an ipad 3. (I've actually got all 3 out next to me, just missing the 4... anyone have one spare? :D)

Actually, does anyone have an ipad 4? Or will get one soon? I could do with an app testing on one - I'm 99% sure it'll work fine, so it wasn't worth buying yet another ipad, but it'd be great to remove that 1% doubt :) If you have one email me, chris (at) interealtime.com and you'll get a free camera app - all you need to do in return is see if it works OK :)

That would have been sweet. But it would have been a completely different device then.. or a bad one.

They could probably have put a 12MP camera in there, but to get a big camera into a tiny space means compromises - either image noise would be awful, or you'd get lens distortions, or whatever. I'd take a decent 5MP image any day - and image quality is actually very good.

Alternatively they could have made the camera a lot bigger. That means either having a lump in the tablet to house it (urgh!), or making the whole thing a lot thicker (and it's wonderfully proportioned as it is).

I reckon what they need to do is make a device smaller than this - maybe 5-6" - with a much bigger sensor (12MP+ and physically bigger so we get good image quality too). Then give it a proper lens mount, a couple of buttons, and call it an iCamera or something.

Back
Top Bottom