IPad 4

jseye

MobiStar
Real Name
John
Thinking very seriously about acquiring an iPad 4, but funds (and a big, big welcome to the "new now" from the Austerity Masters! Cue applause track.) are limited.

Anyway . . . a question to the iPad savants of Mobitog:

Is 16 GB enough to handle a reasonable handful of apps - assuming archival storage is located in Dropbox - or is 32 GB the drop dead line for real functionality on an iPad?

I realise this is kind of a loaded question, but would appreciate your input.

R'gds,

John

Thinking very seriously about acquiring an iPad 4, but funds (and a big, big welcome to the "new now" from the Austerity Masters! Cue applause track.) are limited.

Anyway . . . a question to the iPad savants of Mobitog:

Is 16 GB enough to handle a reasonable handful of apps - assuming archival storage is located in Dropbox - or is 32 GB the drop dead line for real functionality on an iPad?

I realise this is kind of a loaded question, but would appreciate your input.

R'gds,

John
IMO, I would get the absolute maximum you can afford. Since there's so much stuff you can do on an iPad, even beyond photography (movies, books, games, etc.) you wouldn't want it to fill up quickly. I probably wouldn't get anything less than a 64GB...

I agree with RoseCat, get as much space as you can afford. I had a iPad2 with 32 gig and it was always full so when I decided to get a iPad3 I got 64 gig, of course Apple 6 months later brought out the 128gig. My 64 gig runs mostly full so if the 128 had of been available I would have got that. No such thing as too much space :)

At this point I think like Leslee that I would wait for the iPad5.

I agree with RoseCat, get as much space as you can afford. I had a iPad2 with 32 gig and it was always full so when I decided to get a iPad3 I got 64 gig, of course Apple 6 months later brought out the 128gig. My 64 gig runs mostly full so if the 128 had of been available I would have got that. No such thing as too much space :)

At this point I think like Leslee that I would wait for the iPad5.
Exactly what I plan to do, Larry!

RoseCat (& Lzed) -

Eeyup . . . I know that mo' memory is way better, but so would be having mo' money.
As it is, my use of it would be strictly for creation of the three P's; prose, poetry and photographs. And, of course, Internet bizness. I am not a small screen video/movie person at all.
From your experience, would my intended usage lower the GB horizon at all?

R'gds,

John

RoseCat (& Lzed) -

Eeyup . . . I know that mo' memory is way better, but so would be having mo' money.
As it is, my use of it would be strictly for creation of the three P's; prose, poetry and photographs. And, of course, Internet bizness. I am not a small screen video/movie person at all.
From your experience, would my intended usage lower the GB horizon at all?

R'gds,

John
Hmmm.... I am still sticking with my minimum 64GB, as photo apps are sure to fill it up also. :sneaky: If you can't afford that much then I definitely wouldn't go below 32GB. :thumbs:

Best of luck and keep us posted!

While I had a 32gig iPad 2 I decided it wasn't enough but if I really had to it can work, just means you have fewer apps and photos, I wouldn't even consider a 16 gig, didn't a couple years ago and the old adage still applies. Price also comes into play but only you can decide what suits both your needs and the price your willing to pay. Good luck.

I bought the 128g a couple of months ago. A birthday present to myself. I was going to wait until the new one came out but the money was burning a whole in my pocket plus I was getting a bit of eye strain with my 64g ipad 2 so I thought the retina display would be helpful, which it is. Now I just download apps with gay abandon and take heaps of photos as I don't have to worry so much about storage.

One more question - when Apple rolls out the iPad 5 (theoretically in October), how much of a discount is there likely to be on the iPad 4 product line, and how quickly?

R'gds,

John

One more question - when Apple rolls out the iPad 5 (theoretically in October), how much of a discount is there likely to be on the iPad 4 product line, and how quickly?

R'gds,

John
Probably not nearly as much as you or I would wish, but there will be an excellent second hand market from those who will be upgrading which may well produce a bargain if you keep 'em peeled... :rog:

I bought the 128g a couple of months ago. A birthday present to myself. I was going to wait until the new one came out but the money was burning a whole in my pocket plus I was getting a bit of eye strain with my 64g ipad 2 so I thought the retina display would be helpful, which it is. Now I just download apps with gay abandon and take heaps of photos as I don't have to worry so much about storage.
Me, too. I leapt into the iPad 4/128G WiFi. I was constantly maxing out my 64G iPad 2 and 3. The very strange thing is that before I received an iPad 2 as a gift from my very kind uncle, I thought the iPad was just another pretty face– beautiful, seductive, an intriguing idea, but probably just a superficial fad. My opinion is very different now. I am about to have my sixtieth birthday, this week. Any excuse will do for a raincheck for the next iPad.

Isn't the roll-out of the the product on September 10, this year? The Apple Store is heavily discounting refurbished goods, now.

Back
Top Bottom