iPad2

Mary

MobiLurver
Real Name
Mary Sherman
Device
Onsite
Project Page
So, I really want an iPad so I can actually get a better grip on what the image looks like after processing. Do you guys use your iPhone first and then app it in the iPad?

iPhone only here as well. Has caused a few probs in the past, with images being too dark on a computer monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

I have an ipad coming next week, with hope of doing the same as Mary but not really sure how practical the transfer of images across to the ipad for processing will be?

As most know I am a rather lazy iPhoneographer and do not, generally, do an awful lot of processing, using Hipstamatic a lot helps that... :)

However, on those occasions I do decide to do a bit more I have recently taken to using my iPad2 to do the work and fire them off to MobiTog and other social sites - especially since the recent PhotoGene update ( my all time fave app!)... ;)

Transfer between the two is awesomely easy since iCloud, though it was not so hard before!... :)

I say go for it, you will not regret it for so many reasons... :D

From MiPhone4S via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D

Welcome back Veevs, great to see you posting again, I hope your life is slowly getting back in order... ;)

I'm interested why you don't just use PhotoStream for transfer between iDevices?... :D

From MiPhone4S via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D

Thanks Rog :D By Photostream do you mean iCloud? I tried it but I am one of these people that freaks out with too many photos on my devices! I like to keep the bare minimum and when I used iCloud I just didnt like every single photo showing up everywhere and not being able to delete them - call me weird lol!

My process is to take photos with iPhone - I then use Photo Transfer to transfer them to my PC. From there I go through the photos, delete the unwanted ones, file the wanted one. Then I use Photo Transfer to transfer the photos I want to edit to the iPad. May be a bit long winded but it helps me manage my photos in some sort or order lol!

Do I make sense?

I use iPad2 for detail work, mostly use the app Photo Fx Ultra. Also prefer to view images on iPad before posting

I usually edit on my iPad unless it is a simple edit or I want to use an app that is not available for my iPad. (I have the iPAd 1 - no camera - so some apps won't install on it.) I love Photostream. At first I was like Veevs and was overwhelmed with the images being everywhere, but now I really like the flexibility. I have read that the next IOS version will have the ability to delete from your Photostream.

I have an iPad2 and sometimes I like to edit on it or to review the editing results on a bigger screen.
I'm a bit obsessed with image quality and Photostream in iOS reduces the quality of your shots :mad: so it's useless for me.
I often use the App Photoshare (it's free !!) that allows you to send photos via bluetooth without scale down quality.
If you have your iPhone and iPad connected on the same Wi-Fi network I really suggest you Phototransfer (as the welcome back Vivi :D said!!).
It's a bit expensive but you can transfer a lot of shots at the same time and photos are not reduced in quality:rolleyes: . You can also create a new album in the app and transfer 100 shots in this album at the same time... and fast because you are using Wi-Fi.:)

I have an iPad2 and sometimes I like to edit on it or to review the editing results on a bigger screen.
I'm a bit obsessed with image quality and Photostream in iOS reduces the quality of your shots :mad: so it's useless for me.
I often use the App Photoshare (it's free !!) that allows you to send photos via bluetooth without scale down quality.
If you have your iPhone and iPad connected on the same Wi-Fi network I really suggest you Phototransfer (as the welcome back Vivi :D said!!).
It's a bit expensive but you can transfer a lot of shots at the same time and photos are notreduced in quality:rolleyes: . You can also create a new album in the app and transfer 100 shots in this album at the same time... and fast because you are using Wi-Fi.:)

Thank you Fabio :inlove: It's good to be back :D Photo Transfer you can also transfer via Bluetooth which I have used and works really well!

Veevs said:
Thanks Rog :D By Photostream do you mean iCloud? I tried it but I am one of these people that freaks out with too many photos on my devices! I like to keep the bare minimum and when I used iCloud I just didnt like every single photo showing up everywhere and not being able to delete them - call me weird lol!

My process is to take photos with iPhone - I then use Photo Transfer to transfer them to my PC. From there I go through the photos, delete the unwanted ones, file the wanted one. Then I use Photo Transfer to transfer the photos I want to edit to the iPad. May be a bit long winded but it helps me manage my photos in some sort or order lol!

Do I make sense?

Welcome back Vivi!!

Oh my, we are just the same!!! :lmao: :D

I have iCloud set up and I can't tell you how annoying it is to have my Camera Roll + Photo Stream on my iPhone! And every single photo is in there and can't be deleted. :mad: Many photos may have 5-10 versions leading up to the final.

I do it the exact same way as you and put just the final images on my iMac (and sometimes the original), and then into organized folders. I never use iPhoto any more because to me it's a very discombobulated way to get photos on my Mac. I use the same transfer app as you and it's easy peasy cool & breezy. ;)

Fastcomet said:
It's a bit expensive but you can transfer a lot of shots at the same time and photos are not reduced in quality:rolleyes: . You can also create a new album in the app and transfer 100 shots in this album at the same time... and fast because you are using Wi-Fi.:)

I had no idea the IOS in photostream reduced the quality! :mad: Hopefully They'll fix this. I also didn't realize about creating a folder in the app...great tip Fabio!

I've thought about getting an iPad but for now it seems a frivolous expense, and if I did get one it would be at least the 3rd version.

I really like the fact that I do everything on my iPhone. I love being able to say, yes that photo was created entirely with my iPhone! I think it might "feel" different somehow on the iPad. More like computer work... less "organic", if that makes any sense?

I use my first gen iPad for all editing! So much more 'hands on'. I still organize them into iPhoto though, I like all the pictures in one place. I feel there is so much more editing possibilities using apps on the iPad than using my iMac. I too, did not know the photo stream reduces quality. I am downloading the app mentioned above for sure! I would recommend that you wait and buy the iPad 3 coming out in the next 2 months. I will be replacing my 1st gen iPad for the 3! Also, most of the time i use the iPhones standard camera for the pictures. Sometimes, I use Hipstamatic. I would rather edit in post than have the camera app add effects live.

Thanks everybody for all your input, this really helps a lot!! I've been loving the iCloud for the ease of the images automatically being transferred on my PC; but yes, that Photo Stream...I too may have several images leading up to the final. I thought the Photo Stream pictures are only held for 30 days. I think I'll give Apple a call and get the scoop. Thanks again everyone!!

Mary said:
Thanks everybody for all your input, this really helps a lot!! I've been loving the iCloud for the ease of the images automatically being transferred on my PC; but yes, that Photo Stream...I too may have several images leading up to the final. I thought the Photo Stream pictures are only held for 30 days. I think I'll give Apple a call and get the scoop. Thanks again everyone!!

Oh, if you do get Apple will you post what they tell you? Thanks! :)

Photo Stream holds up to 1000 photos - they cycle out when you add new ones - the start up screen in iPhoto does say 30 days - wonder which is which?

I also didn't realize that the size was reduced in Photo Stream - makes sense, but it never occurred to me.

If you have it enabled on your computer in iPhoto you can do a quick review in a larger size, so that is helpful.

Oh, if you do get Apple will you post what they tell you? Thanks! :)

Okay...A visit with Apple...
....WITH iCLOUD ACTIVATED WITH YOUR iDEVICES...
*Photo Stream images stay on your device for 30 days. (they stay in your iCloud forever). They are automatically "pushed" to your iCloud, your other iDevices as well as your laptop or desktop. You can DELETE images from your iCloud, thereby taking them off your iDevice (s) by going to iCloud.com, signing in with your Apple account information, click on your name up at the right hand corner and it will take you to another window that simply says, "Reset your Photo Stream" and Voila!! your images are deleted! They will NOT be deleted from your laptop/desktop. Once you go through the "Reset" process, you can then go to your iDevice; go to Settings and scroll down to iCloud, scroll down to Photo Stream and turn it off. It will tell you all your images will be delelted. You will still have whatever images remain on your Camera Roll to do with as you please. Then, you can turn the Photo Stream back on, if you wish to stay connected through iCloud. (whew!)
*Resolution - the images get "pushed to all devices at a resolution of 2041x1536 and if I'm not mistaken, that's pretty darn close to the resolution of the apple camera. Frankly, I don't see this as a huge concern and especially if you have a 4S.

Anyway, hope this helps everyone!! Thanks for this conversation, it's been beneficial for me.. I have to say the Apple tech support folks have been pretty great!!

Questions?

Mary said:
*Resolution - the images get "pushed to all devices at a resolution of 2041x1536 and if I'm not mistaken, that's pretty darn close to the resolution of the apple camera.

Thank you for this!! Very helpful!! :)

I think I'll still use the transfer app because I always resize my images in Iris to 4000xwhatever (I know, I'm such a techie! Ok, I'll try to speak in layman's terms so everyone can understand me. LOL)... so the 2041x1536 is smaller resolution.

Great info, Mary. I just checked the size of some hipstamatic photos in my photo stream and they are 2448 x 2448, so full size. My Camera+ and 4S camera shots are showing 3264 x 2448, so those are full size too.

Great info, Mary. I just checked the size of some hipstamatic photos in my photo stream and they are 2448 x 2448, so full size. My Camera+ and 4S camera shots are showing 3264 x 2448, so those are full size too.
Thanks Leslie!
Okay, so does this mean that the image in photo stream on our device is the original size but wherever it's getting "pushed" to is when the smaller resolution take place? Sorry to belabor the point; where are you determining the resolution size? The only place I can is in Photoshop, on my laptop. Now I'm finally understanding the importance of keeping the image at it's fullest for optimum clarity. A secondary question for me is, does the image lose pixels if I take it through several apps until the finished image? Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom