iPad2

I looked at the photo info in iPhoto to see the size of the pix in my photo stream. I don't see that option in the photo app on the phone. Perhaps another app shows info?

Some editing apps retain the full image size and some don't. Maybe we can start a thread reporting in what we discover when using specific apps.

I think the Apple guy was a bit inaccurate on the size, at least as far as the 4s photos go. Resolution is probably is lower for earlier iPhones. They are being "pushed" to the other devices through the "cloud". I don't see how the resolution could vary.

I looked at the photo info in iPhoto to see the size of the pix in my photo stream. I don't see that option in the photo app on the phone. Perhaps another app shows info?

Some editing apps retain the full image size and some don't. Maybe we can start a thread reporting in what we discover when using specific apps.

I think the Apple guy was a bit inaccurate on the size, at least as far as the 4s photos go. Resolution is probably is lower for earlier iPhones. They are being "pushed" to the other devices through the "cloud". I don't see how the resolution could vary.

Good idea, I don't want to over analyze all this but it's most important if and when one wants to print images out; that's when we want the best resolution. Thanks for your feedback Leslie!

This is a shot taken with my 4S using the standard camera application.

image-1628726596.png

The screenshot of my iphone using the app Photology shows the GPS info and 8Mpixel as resolution.
This shot use 4.4 MByte of disk space on the iPhone.

image-3478320472.png

This screenshot on my iPad photostream shows the same photo with 3Mpixel as resolution.
So the resolution and the disk space have been reduced and a lot of info has been lost.
It's like having this shot taken with an old iPhone 3G.

image-3705070927.png

I don't know why the time of this shot is different, probably because of the different timezone in the original shot.

Sent from my iPad using MobiTog

wow!! pretty drastic reduction in resolution from iPhone to iPad...makes me wonder about getting the iPad for the want of a bigger area when
processing images; good food for thought-thanks!!

wow!! pretty drastic reduction in resolution from iPhone to iPad...makes me wonder about getting the iPad for the want of a bigger area when
processing images; good food for thought-thanks!!

This is if you want to use photostream but using the app phototransfer the image will be at the same resolution of the original shot!

After noticing distinct resolution reductions on photos from my recent ski trip that I edited or just saved to my iPad, I did some more experimentation.

A photo taken either with the 4s camera or camera+ experienced the same reduction when passed through the iPad:

original photo 3264 x 2448 - 1.8 mb in size - when saved to iPad through photostream reduced to 1920 x 1440 - 410k

original photo 3264 x 2448 - 1.8 mb in size - when imported through photostream via iPhoto on the mac kept ts original size of 32 3264 x 2448 - 1.8 mb

So, now I am definitely looking into the phototransfer app as I prefer editing on the iPad, but had no idea the size reduced that much.

After noticing distinct resolution reductions on photos from my recent ski trip that I edited or just saved to my iPad, I did some more experimentation.

A photo taken either with the 4s camera or camera+ experienced the same reduction when passed through the iPad:

original photo 3264 x 2448 - 1.8 mb in size - when saved to iPad through photostream reduced to 1920 x 1440 - 410k

original photo 3264 x 2448 - 1.8 mb in size - when imported through photostream via iPhoto on the mac kept ts original size of 32 3264 x 2448 - 1.8 mb

So, now I am definitely looking into the phototransfer app as I prefer editing on the iPad, but had no idea the size reduced that much.

Thanks Leslie! Definitely check out photo transfer; very user friendly, down loads/uploads super fast. I'm surprised Apple doesn't just change
the photostream resolution...there's no reason to lose resolution!

Back
Top Bottom