ISO

rflaum

MobiStarter
Real Name
Randy Flaum
I'm very new to the smart phone cameras and wondering what dictates the ISO. Is it the phone itself or the camera app? Is there any way to change ISO? With all the technology that Nikon. Canon and others have done sending speeds up to 6400 with nice results I assume the phones can do this too. Can somebody fill me in on this? Thank you

rflaum said:
I'm very new to the smart phone cameras and wondering what dictates the ISO. Is it the phone itself or the camera app? Is there any way to change ISO? With all the technology that Nikon. Canon and others have done sending speeds up to 6400 with nice results I assume the phones can do this too. Can somebody fill me in on this? Thank you

It depends on what camera app you are using. Some camera apps are more technical than some. Slow Shutter gives you much more control than most camera apps I have. I am not sure of the options 4g gives but there are some pretty cool camera apps that will possibly give you what you need.

There is certainly no way to adjust ISO in the native Camera and, given the functionality of various camera apps it is quite likely they will handle ISO settings in a fundamentally different mode to the iPhone itself... :cool:

All iPhone models dictate the ISO settings internally, I haven't come across an app to control ISO manually yet (still looking!) but there is a useful commentary and iPhone comparison on this in this useful blog > Jawsnap's Blog

I purchased Mattebox which is quite good (from what I've found so far) - it tells you what ISO settings are being used and has some cool features. I'm still quite new to it so wouldn't 100% recommend it as a replacement to ProCamera but it's looking pretty damn good.

As Rog mentioned though, you cannot change the ISO. Dakini Goddess, Slow Shutter actually fakes decreasing the shutter speed - from what I know, it actually takes a video and then stitches the images together - in saying that I have had some pretty impressive results from it. I'm just gutted it can't do full res (you get the resolution of HD video).

I purchased Mattebox which is quite good (from what I've found so far) - it tells you what ISO settings are being used and has some cool features. I'm still quite new to it so wouldn't 100% recommend it as a replacement to ProCamera but it's looking pretty damn good.

As Rog mentioned though, you cannot change the ISO.
Crikey bob Allan, MatteBox is rather expensive for a camera app... :eek:

And the developer even acknowledges in the write up that the ISO, among other things, is currently impossible to control manually, yet... :D

Yeah expensive I know but I like the fact that you can, with the half shutter, force the white balance lock.

It's still an iPhone camera so I never believe anything that says I can adjust ISO/aperture manually.

See, all these posts here are making me want to run, far & fast! :sneaky: LOL.

This is the part of photography I DIDN'T like when I had my SLR, and what I LOVE about iPhoneography is that I don't need to deal with it. :D

I think I take photos rather intuitively... If adjustments need to be made I have a whole slew of apps to tweak with. I don't really need/want to know the tech details on why the photo needs tweaking, I just tweak by sight/feeling.

I'm sure purists out there will cringe... sorry!

(now lemme get the heck outta here before I get hives) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

I'm with you Cat I very nearly chucked my DSLR out the window several times biggest waste of 1500 grrr I get better shots from my 150 Ixus and my shock horror mobile phone lol.

The more I had to think about settings the less I was focusing on the subject of the photo... I much prefer point shoot and process!!

I want to thank everybody to help me understand my phone better. I tend to shoot a lot in low light and like pushing my equipment to the limits.

I want to thank everybody to help me understand my phone better. I tend to shoot a lot in low light and like pushing my equipment to the limits.
I reckon you are welcome RNdy... ;)

Questions like this actually help us all to learn a little more about our iPhones and iPhoneography, whether we like it or not... :D

I warm heartedly recommend NightCap for low light photography. Can't set ISO, but can set exposure. I leave it on auto, and it produces crystal clear, bright images every time. Almost non-existent noise in the dark areas. Just don't shoot into a light source, it will clip your highlights.

Can't wait for the new version of MatteBox. Use it for day time pics.

Back
Top Bottom