• No miracles have occurred, so MobiTog will be closing its doors here on June15 and moving to Discord. Please see updates in the MobiTog Closing thread, including a link to join our Discord server.

Kodak - a reflective moment

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Device
iPhone 12 Pro
Taking a moment out of our headlong rush into digital wonderment to feel sad about the news that Kodak has just filed for bankruptcy protection. Starting out in photography it literally defined my world. It was a colossus that lead and innovated - the Apple of its day? It seemed inconceivable it would ever not be around.

Now, suffering from years of mismanagement and bad decisions, it has been laid low. Hopefully it can still pull its irons out of the fire but it will never be the force in photography - the market it single-handedly created - it once was.

richardcb said:
Taking a moment out of our headlong rush into digital wonderment to feel sad about the news that Kodak has just filed for bankruptcy protection. Starting out in photography it literally defined my world. It was a colossus that lead and innovated - the Apple of its day? It seemed inconceivable it would ever not be around.

Now, suffering from years of mismanagement and bad decisions, it has been laid low. Hopefully it can still pull its irons out of the fire but it will never be the force in photography - the market it single-handedly created - it once was.

Defined my teenage years of using the brownie and click and toss cameras. My Minolta sits gathering dust. Here's what I still have, gathering dust.

image-387590312.png
image-387590312.png

image-2935592296.png
image-1178841102.png

klassklown0 said:
Defined my teenage years of using the brownie and click and toss cameras. My Minolta sits gathering dust. Here's what I still have, gathering dust.

You could sell those, Nancy, to collectors of antique cameras. They'd fetch a princely sum!

sdgareth said:
a bit of a weird feeling when I think of "no more kodak" :alien:

Yeah...it is weird. :( I remember our instamatic with those square bulbs you snapped on top. I loved that camera.

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

Yeah...it is weird. :( I remember our instamatic with those square bulbs you snapped on top. I loved that camera.

yeah I remember those, could use it 4 times and then throw it away, used to give all those leaky light images

Oh my, Flashcubes - a flash of light and a smell of burning plastic! :D Did you go beyond the Instamatic into 110 film cameras and the dreaded Kodak Disc Camera?

Oh my, Flashcubes - a flash of light and a smell of burning plastic! :D Did you go beyond the Instamatic into 110 film cameras and the dreaded Kodak Disc Camera?
I remember my Dad had one, also the cameras with fold up bellows and Polaroid that spat the image out the front.

Don't think I ever seen a disc camera. My old man had that huge heavy 8mm silent movie camera, still got the reel of footage

RoseCat said:

Oh, I do too! A true passing of an era.

sdgareth said:
yeah I remember those, could use it 4 times and then throw it away, used to give all those leaky light images

Oh right, it would twirl!! And you get one flash per side of the cube! :D Totally forgot that...

richardcb said:

YES!!!! I had some weird camera with 110 film and that's what I brought with me on my 2 month backpacking trip to Europe! :mad: Never had the Disc camera tho.

Back
Top Bottom