Mandarin

Dragonfysh

MobiStarter
Real Name
DOUGLAS J MOTIJOL
Snapped with iPhone 6+, edited with Snapseed.
What do you guys think? What I should look for when shooting something like this? Hopefully I'll get some feedback from the oldtimers. [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1453149845.129151.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I really love the light and color in this, and the contrast with the totally dark parts. It's a beautiful shot.

Since you asked, my nit-picky advice would be to look carefully at your crop and perspective. With such a symmetrical composition, making sure your vertical and horizontal lines and perspective are straight, and that the crop is even on both sides can really add to the effect. Apps like Scrwt and Skew are great for this.

I'd also be curious to see what a portrait ratio crop, extending the black space to a full 2/3 of the composition (rule of thirds) might look like. It might overwhelm the image, or it might make it pop even more!

Wow, I really love the light and color in this, and the contrast with the totally dark parts. It's a beautiful shot.

Since you asked, my nit-picky advice would be to look carefully at your crop and perspective. With such a symmetrical composition, making sure your vertical and horizontal lines and perspective are straight, and that the crop is even on both sides can really add to the effect. Apps like Scrwt and Skew are great for this.

I'd also be curious to see what a portrait ratio crop, extending the black space to a full 2/3 of the composition (rule of thirds) might look like. It might overwhelm the image, or it might make it pop even more!

Woah!!!! Now that's a very useful advise!!! Thanks !!! I'll be applying those to my next picture. Thanks Fotolumos! [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Beautiful colors, especially at night. I really love night time photography with dark blacks and bright highlights. Definitely take Tara's advice! For a photo that's aiming to be symmetrical, it REALLY helps when vertical and horizontal lines are straight -- which can be done with any editing app, even a native one. Good work Douglas.

I go along with Tara and Cameron -- the color, the light, and the contrast make a striking image. Snapseed's Transform option will also let you straighten your photos and adjust the vertical perspective. (I usually use SKRWT to adjust perspective because I already had it, but Snapseed 2 works very well for this, and I use it sometimes, too.)

Why not try out some other crops and tweaks of this photo and post them here in the same thread?

night-time shots are difficult, esp with a phone camera. but this is lovely well done.
I personally don't think every shot needs to be perfectly straight, but in this case I do agree with everyone else, straightening would be beneficial :) oh and maybe crop the negative space at the top some.

Back
Top Bottom