Max Power - MaxCurves

WOTANICUS

IOTM WInner - Sept 21
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
Well since Jerry flagged this beauty up, I have had time to look under the hood and have a play with it. I was helped along by Jerry's marvellous walkthroughs for the app, which are sorely needed, unless your familiar with curves and some of the less well known imaging modes.

See here:
On the face of it, I assumed I would get a Curve editing suite similar to whats available in LRM or Snapseed, for powerful, but limited tonal variation. Growing up with Photoshop from v2.5 back on the Mac, ive always found Curves and to a lesser extent Levels to be my go-to editing choice. Recent apps have veered away from the more technical aspects of image manipulation in favour of dumbed down quick fixes, for speed and to satisfy the demands of the soc med crowd.

MaxCurves takes the basic concept of Curve adjustment (read Juryjones tutorials for an excellent insight) and applies it to all the major editing approaches seen in most apps - Saturation, Luminance, Light, Detail - if you can edit it, MC has a curve for it.

On top of this, it come pre-loaded with over 25 preset schemes, maybe three of which are gimmicky, the rest practical and useful. It also allows you to create your own Presets, which can also be exported as Photoshop LUTs (look it up, its quicker!) and can export images directly to Photoshop.

If that wasn't enough, MC keeps on giving with a powerful camera, with a 6x zoom and a host of pro controls. You can also shoot with any preset too.

It appears to be able to import RAW files too - although thats on my to do list, my only ask is the ability to shoot and save in RAW, like Hipsta.

But for the pocketmoney price, it delivers enough power that I could easily walk away from Photoshop and possibly the free version of Lightroom, as MC outperforms both programs by a country mile.

Its unfortunately IOS only by the look, but if you have an iphone, or even better an Ipad - you need this app.

Below are a couple of out of the camera shots with MaxCurves, using the 'Forest' preset and no further editing, as I like my images moody and heavily coloured sometimes, but MaxCurves will adapt to the tastes of every phoneographer with ease.

572B7019-74A6-480F-9443-FA571C09DE09.jpeg
BBB3A433-7621-48A6-9679-2FAF6EC53420.jpeg
5F45FB9A-4C73-4CA8-94F7-3E3B1D3A29CA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom