New Olloclip lens (macro only)

Darren@RI

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Developer
Real Name
Darren
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 3.19.23 AM.png

It's called 3-in-1 macro - note that, its not the 3-in-1 lens that featured a wide, fisheye and macro. This guy features 3 different macro lens functions with better optics and more magnification than offered by the previous 3-in-1 and latest 4-in-1 (fisheye, wide & 2 macros).

http://www.olloclip.com/3-in-1-iphone-macro-lens/

I have been using the Olloclip 4-in-1 and Olloclip Telephoto/Circular Polarizer on my iPod Touch 5th Gen - very pleased indeed.

Whilst I absolutely love the ōlloclip system and the ease of use flexibility it gives you, I was among the original KickStarter supporters, I am a little surprised and frustrated they did not just make the ōlloclip body with screw on attachments to take a range of lenses... :rog:

Surely, rather than having to have three or four bodies, it must be doable to have a single body and a variety of inter-changeable lenses to screw into it?... :sneaky:

Perhaps our friend @Patrick O'Neill, from the developers, might pop in and let us know why I have got it all so wrong... :D

Damn it all. Now I have to buy another product. I have every previous one. Essentially only for the macro effects. Gotta do it

Totally agree with you Rog @Venomator!! While I'd love to have the polarizing Olloclip and now this new Macro Olloclip I simply cannot afford to keep paying another $70 every time they introduce another awesome new product that, of course, I would LOVE to have!! I just recently sold my old 3-n-1 to help buy the new 4-n-1 and I'm really enjoying the 2 macro options and the amazing quality of this new one! And now hopefully someway I can get this new macro Olloclip......while I'd like to have the polarizing one, it would be the least used as I love using the macros!!

It seems if the company would produce them in a way that separate lens could be purchased and attached as they become available they'd actually make more money in the long run! It would be cheaper for the consumer to buy a new lens here in and there as they could afford it. So the company would steady make more money from their already loyal consumers......customers would be able to slowly but surely add new lenses to their collection instead of, like most people are doing just keeping and using the one they have and not bothering to pay another $70+ to buy another product that's already so similar to what they have. Or pay $70 for a lens that's specialized to only shooting macro because that's quiet an investment to make to shoot only 1 type of picture. Or to pay so much ($100+) for the polarizing/telephoto lens....that to me is the most ridiculous when I just apply polarizing filters with apps and don't really have need for telephoto in most places. But if I was able to buy each new lens on my own time, at a much cheaper price, and attach them to the base I already own.....I would totally do that!! In a heart beat! Seems like a very logical and smart thing to do Roger! I do wonder why this option hasn't been developed?!! Bc as it is now for me, I will just have to add the 2 specialized Olloclips to my "maybe one day" wish list because spending that much money on another Olloclip just isn't an option. So many other company's offer ways to interchange individual lenses, either with magnetic options, or a phone case attachment, etc and the cost is just sooo much cheaper! I know you're paying for quality but that makes Olloclip something out of reach for so very many, very talented, iphoneographers......so at least the cheaper lenses are still there for them to try. And you can get some decent, good, cool pictures with the cheaper lenses....better then nothing at all!
Would love to hear from the Olloclip developers! To know if this has been discussed, or could possible be available in the future?!

Zanthomendoza 15x macro Huemore.JPG
I'm eager to get this new triple-macro lens set — only slightly regretting that I just bought the 4-in-1 lens set to replace my much-beloved 3-in-1 set. The 4-in-1 seems noticeably better in quality of image than the 3-in-1, so I'm happy about that.
I also carry the 2X telephoto. I love it, often having it on the phone all the time. The slightly longer length gives a noticeably different view than the normal lens of the iPhone. I especially like that if I focus in the distance, especially a little off to the side of centre, I get a quite pleasing softness/blurring of the image. Up close I achieve a stronger bokeh and softness with the telephoto.
I'm not much impressed with the polarizing filter. It does work, but weakly at best. I much prefer the Trygger polarizing add-on, though it doesn't work with other lenses …
I'm an amateur botanist. Closeups are dream-makers for me. So I'll almost certainly buy the new triple macro lens the first time I see it 'in real life'.
Am I mad at Olloclip for frequent unannounced updates to hardware? … What? … Are you goshing me? … Jeez, for the price of all of these Olloclip products, I couldn't even approximate the cost of a macro lens for my DSLR! … And I carry them in my pocket! As far as I'm concerned, quality innovation is to be encouraged, even if it costs me a few weeks worth of lattes at my favourite coffee shop.
Today's macro, a 15x shot of lichens on Spartan apple tree in my back yard: Xanthomendoza fallax, yellow with marginal soredia; Phaeophyscia orbicularis, greeny-grey with terminal rhizomes. Iphone5, Huemore, edited lightly with Snapseed, full un-cropped image.

Couldn't agree with you more Rog!! I absolutely love my original Olloclip, but they really should have one body and the ability to purchase any lens which could attach to it. While I'd love to have all these different lenses, there's no way I'm purchasing them all separately like this. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom