Official Apple Event Discussion Thread: More toys : ipad mini

Delta

Pretty poisonous...
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Delta
What do you think ? Announcement today. They say Apple might not stream this..so you have to check the blogs...event to start around 1:00 PM est.

Should be interesting - with amount of storage and power suggested - it could be a iphonegraphers dream machine:rolleyes: - small in size - portable - with lots of storage !

Screen shot 2012-10-23 at 9.02.44 AM.png

Exciting! Hope you dont mind the slight title tweak Delta - give us somewhere to collectively discuss todays Apple Event!

If the price point indications are true, I will be dissapointed. Apparently the base model iPad mini is to be around $329 - not a good enough saving on the iPad 3 for me...

I am doing an airport run whilst the event is on, but if anyone would like to take up the mantle of posting as it happens info into this thread, it would be hugely appreciated!

There will be a live stream on Apple TV (there's a new app on there called Apple Events). So there may be other streams too...

Awesome - Cheers Mike!

Hope we can get some discussion going here too - the iPhone launch event prompted awesome chats here on Mobitog!

What do you think ? Announcement today.
Thanks for the heads up D... :D

And there will, indeed, be live streaming online, too:
Thank you for the info and the linky Mike... :thumbs:

Awesome - Cheers Mike!
Hope we can get some discussion going here too - the iPhone launch event prompted awesome chats here on Mobitog!
You still going the MiniPad route then Sir Smooth... :whistle:

Sorta goes with your mota... :rog:

Exciting! Hope you dont mind the slight title tweak Delta - give us somewhere to collectively discuss todays Apple Event!

If the price point indications are true, I will be dissapointed. Apparently the base model iPad mini is to be around $329 - not a good enough saving on the iPad 3 for me...

I am doing an airport run whilst the event is on, but if anyone would like to take up the mantle of posting as it happens info into this thread, it would be hugely appreciated!

No problem Smooth :D

Yeah..$ 329 is not great price..I was looking for a price that began with the number " 2"

Yeah..$ 329 is not great price..I was looking for a price that began with the number " 2"

If the rumours concerning the Euro price are correct, then I think you'll get that. If the entry Euro price is €249, as has been claimed, then you can bet your, er, bottom dollar that the US price will not be a direct conversion of that (roughly $322 at today's rate). There are two reasons for this:
  1. US-based suppliers tend to gouge foreign markets while looking after the domestic market (or that's what it generally feels like, anyway…)
  2. More importantly, the Euro price will include a purchase tax called VAT, which varies from EU country to EU country but is generally in the region of 20%
So the net cost of a €249 device is actually €207.50, which is about $279—and that's not far off what you can expect to pay if the Euro price really will be €249.

Many commentators seem to have forgotten that quoted prices in the US exclude any local sales taxes, whereas those in the EU must, by law, include VAT when targeted at consumers (B2B prices can be, and generally are, quoted ex-VAT).

I'm just not a big fan of this iPad Mini... Is it a big iPhone? Is it a small iPad?? It just seems weird to me... :alien:

I think it will appeal to the Kindle market, or maybe people will buy it for their kids as it would fit into their hands better.

I think it will sell like hot cakes, even at (>cough<) $329. I think people will buy iPod touch for their kids, and iPad Mini for travel. Me, I'll probably get my parents one for Christmas...

I think you are right ! The pricing :confused: makes me a little loopy... it's cute...this will require much pondering...:whistle: . I want the 64g with wifi ...but if there's not Wifi available where you are..then :zip:...when you add cellular...:eek:. Oh well...I've got until Friday at dawn o'crack to figure this out...:alien:

Bit late to the show, but did I catch an iPad 4th Gen moment... :(

I know someone who will be getting an iMini... ;)

But the 13" Pro with Retina is floating mine right now... :D

From MiPad (3) via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D

I think you are right ! The pricing :confused: makes me a little loopy... it's cute...this will require much pondering...:whistle: . I want the 64g with wifi ...but if there's not Wifi available where you are..then :zip:...when you add cellular...:eek:. Oh well...I've got until Friday at dawn o'crack to figure this out...:alien:
I don't worry about cellular because I'll always have a tetherable cellphone with me if I don't have WiFi...

Feeling a little bit burned and a little bit disappointed. A 4th generation already? Seriously? Those of us who invested in a 3rd gen back in the Spring thought we had a least a year before our iPads were made obsolete, but seven months? C'mon! :angry: Still, the upgrade is not enough to make me want to trade up yet.

iPad mini? Love the form factor but it's a big step down from a Retina iPad (if you have one). I'm trying to see how it could fit into an iphoneographer's workflow between iPhone and iPad. It would be easier to carry around in the field for sure but, again, the screen resolution is a problem. I'm tempted but, having just been burned by Apple once today, I don't want to get a mini now and then see a Retina version released six months. :mad:

Evening all. Thanks for the superb info in thread.

My humble opinion - underwhelmed and sympathetic to those who are miffed.

iPad Mini - lower resolution that Nexus 7 and Fire, but beautiful looking. But why (oh why!) would you talk so much about how much better it is than Android competition then stick a carp screen in it?! I get the impression they are hoping to not sell too many, win some Kindle customers, and try to retain as many people on the full size ipads as possible. Do not even get me started on putting in just the A5 chip, when the Nexus trounces all over this with its quad core...

iPad 4th Gen - massive swing and miss from Apple. Very not cool to release essentially a speed upgraded version of the previous model just six months later. Some Apple stores reportedly offering to swap '3' for a 4 if purchased within last 30 days.

Not good Apple. Not good.

Evening all. Thanks for the superb info in thread.

My humble opinion - underwhelmed and sympathetic to those who are miffed.

iPad Mini - lower resolution that Nexus 7 and Fire, but beautiful looking. But why (oh why!) would you talk so much about how much better it is than Android competition then stick a carp screen in it?! I get the impression they are hoping to not sell too many, win some Kindle customers, and try to retain as many people on the full size ipads as possible.

iPad 4th Gen - massive swing and miss from Apple. Very not cool to release essentially a speed upgraded version of the previous model just six months later. Some Apple stores reportedly offering to swap '3' for a 4 if purchased within last 30 days.

Not good Apple. Not good.
Agreed all round, Matt. Apple have also broken one of their golden marketing rules, i.e. keep it simple. Potential Apple Store scenario:

Customer: I'd like an iPad please.

Apple acolyte: Certainly sir/madam. Which one?

Customer: There's more than one?

Apple acolyte: Oh yes; there's the iPad the iPad 2 and the iPad mini.

Confused customer: Which is the best one?

Apple acolyte: Well the iPad has a better screen, the iPad 2 is cheaper and the iPad mini fits in your hand.

Frustrated customer: But isn't the iPad 2 better than the iPad?

Apple acolyte: Oh no, sir/madam. The iPad 2 is older, slower and has a lower resolution screen...just like the new iPad mini.

Baffled customer: Eh?

Android agent: Follow me sir/madam, we have a few tablets that may interest you....

And the rest is history.

iPad mini prices in Apple Store:

Wi-fi only 16Gb - £269.
Wi-fi only 32Gb - £349.
Wi-fi only 64Gb - £429.

Wi-fi + cell 16Gb - £369.
Wi-fi + cell 32Gb - £449.
Wi-fi + cell 64Gb - £529.

.....I hope this isn't the future of things to come, post-Steve Jobs. :(
Double agreed but, to be fair, it's a very different market now to when Jobs was in his prime. Then Apple pretty much had the field to themselves. Now there is serious competition from all sides. In a way I can see why they felt they had to cover all their bases, as it were.

Back
Top Bottom