Official Apple Event Discussion Thread: More toys : ipad mini

Joanne at TheAppWhisperer asked me for my views on iPad mini, so I had a long think and decided that I'm actually pretty excited about it from an iPhoneography perspective. More here:

(I'm also quite keen on it as a reason not to buy a Kindle, too—I really detest the "classic" Kindle UX, but I would appreciate something smaller and lighter than my current iPad for reading books, and I can live without Kindle's stellar battery life…)

You know, schools, especially elementary school may benefit a lot from the mini - a first grader can work easier with a mini than the big pad..so perhaps we'll see more parents and schools purchasing them.
But, arguably, they can work just as easy with a Nexus 7 at less than half the price. Which, of course, is where the work Apple's put into iBooks as a text book platform (rather than a me-too Kindle Store clone) really starts to look pretty creative, from a business perspective…

But, arguably, they can work just as easy with a Nexus 7 at less than half the price. Which, of course, is where the work Apple's put into iBooks as a text book platform (rather than a me-too Kindle Store clone) really starts to look pretty creative, from a business perspective…

exactly :sneaky: not to shabby !

Like Mel, I'm ticked...just received an iPad3 as a gift, a few short months ago...what??? they've improved it & released a new one???:confused: Don't even see the iPad3 in their line up???
Agree the mini would be extremely useful for kids, schools, etc...but at that price? If I had the $$$'s it'd be cool for easier handling & photography but like so many I have to choose between "want or need". :cool:

I bought my iPad a couple of weeks ago after talking to the salesperson in the Apple store. He told me exactly what was coming (faster processor and the new-style charger) and basically said that, unless i needed the faster processor now, to go ahead and get the third-generation one, then consider the new model out in spring, which would be more of a redesign. This will work out great for me because when the next generation comes out, husband will upgrade from iPad 1 to mine, and I'll get the new one! Win-win situation!!! :)

Sent from my iPad using MobiTog

If you got the iPad in the last 30 days from an apple store, some are replacing free of charge with the new model when out apparently...

Smooth said:
If you got the iPad in the last 30 days from an apple store, some are replacing free of charge with the new model when out apparently...

I will have to check into that!

I bought my iPad a couple of weeks ago after talking to the salesperson in the Apple store. He told me exactly what was coming (faster processor and the new-style charger) and basically said that, unless i needed the faster processor now, to go ahead and get the third-generation one, then consider the new model out in spring, which would be more of a redesign.
An Apple employee actually told you there'll be another new iPad coming out next spring? Wow, is he still working there? :zip:

mahoganyturtle said:
Mel is not happy! Mel only just bought the ipad3! *stomps foot and goes to pout in the corner*

Me not happy either :throws toys out the cot:. Like Mel, me bought new iPad only 3 months ago!! Grrr!!

On a more mature note, the new iPad, iPad Mini, iPod Touch use the new smaller charger. So, more money to buy replacements, cos the old style chargers won't work. The new Mac apparently has a screen only 7mm thick, that's incredible. However, to give customers this super thin screen, the DVD drive had to go, so you'll have to fork out more money to buy an external DVD drive. Not a good move, Apple.

I think, and I know I'm not the only one, that Apple have overplayed their hand in trying to secure the market in the wake of Steve Jobs' passing. Apple's trying too hard and overdone it, and rather than make the brand an even stronger icon, customers are being turned off by the recent shenanigans against Samsung, Apple's arrogance, and the overload of new devices.

I would be tempted to buy the iPad Mini, but only because it's (slightly) more affordable than the iPad or iPhone5. However, I've just bought little Jack a Samsung PC for his birthday (31st Oct), so I don't need any more gadgets. I already have a Kindle Fire, and now we have a Mi-Fi dongle, I can access the internet on it while on my daily train commute to work. Same with my iPad.

If anything, I would be interested in the Samsung Galaxy SIII or the Note (new Note coming out soon!) :)

Me not happy either :throws toys out the cot:. Like Mel, me bought new iPad only 3 months ago!! Grrr!!
On a more mature note, the new iPad, iPad Mini, iPod Touch use the new smaller charger. So, more money to buy replacements, cos the old style chargers won't work. The new Mac apparently has a screen only 7mm thick, that's incredible. However, to give customers this super thin screen, the DVD drive had to go, so you'll have to fork out more money to buy an external DVD drive. Not a good move, Apple.

I think, and I know I'm not the only one, that Apple have overplayed their hand in trying to secure the market in the wake of Steve Jobs' passing. Apple's trying too hard and overdone it, and rather than make the brand an even stronger icon, customers are being turned off by the recent shenanigans against Samsung, Apple's arrogance, and the overload of new devices.

I would be tempted to buy the iPad Mini, but only because it's (slightly) more affordable than the iPad or iPhone5. However, I've just bought little Jack a Samsung PC for his birthday (31st Oct), so I don't need any more gadgets. I already have a Kindle Fire, and now we have a Mi-Fi dongle, I can access the internet on it while on my daily train commute to work. Same with my iPad.

If anything, I would be interested in the Samsung Galaxy SIII or the Note (new Note coming out soon!) :)

I couldn't have said it better, overall my disappointment with the way Apple is heading is starting to really get to me. (from what I've read and heard, this sentiment is sure spreading) Time will tell. :whistle:

Personally, I have never been one to follow brands too much but rather look at what my needs are and what represents the best value at the time. I had been looking at the iPad mini for my daughter for Xmas but I am disappointed in the screen resolution, especially as Apple has priced it as though it is a premium product. On top of that, after this new iPad 4 release as an iPad 3 owner I can't trust them and wonder if they won't suddenly release a mini with a better screen in the near future. Consistency is an important value and knowing that they HAD a yearly upgrade cycle one could plan purchases accordingly. As they have been improving the screen quality across the board, to release the mini with it's current resolution is a step backwards for a brand that prides itself on delivering a premium user experience.

richardcb said:
An Apple employee actually told you there'll be another new iPad coming out next spring? Wow, is he still working there? :zip:

I know! I was shocked! I was also impressed that he was spot on with what the changes to the fourth generation were to be... :)

Decision made, daughter is getting an iPad instead of a mini. I just think she will get more out of it and it will last longer with the hi-res screen and faster processor. The screen res was the tipping point.

It's amazing how much bad press the screen res of the iPad mini is getting. Don't forget that only about eight months ago people were, if not happy, then accepting of the iPad 2's screen res. OK, so that's the res of the mini, but don't forget that the screen is smaller so the pixels will appear more tightly packed. In fact one journo who got a hands on with the mini at last week's Apple Event wrote that text looked very good on the small screen.

I'll let you know in two weeks when (if?) my iPad mini arrives (yes, I'm a weak-willed iPad fan). :)

iPad mini in my hands! It's small but perfectly formed. :D
Agreed, I played with one on Wednesday and was rather impressed with it... :notworthy:

It may be on my pressie list for Jill, although as she is also getting a new Nintendo with the Prof Layton new release, she may not have too much time to MiniPad... :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom