MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Dee
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
Due to a catastrophic Data Drive crash, which held my photos, and unfortunately not backed up on my Carbonite account (long story)... I decided after a lot of thought to buy an iMac on which I will run Windows 7 with Parallels as I was reluctant to move to Windows 8 just yet and... no I am not a convert, I like both operating systems, each for different reasons.

SOOOO, I would like to "hear" thoughts about the best photo organizing tool whether Mac or PC. I have Adobe Lightroom 3, and have used Picasa and iPhoto extensively... I am considering jumping to Aperture but just cannot make up my mind.

Can Aperture help me out with this? I really like the ease of uploading photos to Flicker from iPhoto and seemingly able to edit/replace the photos locally even though they are online.

I am scrounging through old hard drives and online locations hoping to get back as much of my tens of thousands of photos as possible, but would like to have a way to keep duplicates to a minimum.

Any input would be appreciated! :D
Thanks in advance.

Good luck. I do backups the old fashion way ... External hard drive backed up regularly and kept at my work. It is nice to know that I have some photos backed up through Facebook and Flickr but I should also probably get more organized. :-(

So sorry to hear of your problems with your poota failure and back-up issues D, that really sucks and I feel for you... :(

I am wondering why you would go to the trouble of ruining a perfectly sound iMac by dumping Windows of any sort on it though... :eek:

Especially if you already have experience of iPhoto and are considering Aperture - both fabulously smooth and dedicated Mac apps... ;)

I would definitely recommend the largest Time Machine you can get to back up your stuff - it is amazing and just works and best of is totally automatic, a superb fit and forget peace of mind... :D

I am wondering why you would go to the trouble of ruining a perfectly sound iMac by dumping Windows of any sort on it though... :eek:

To make it better ;)

I have used both for many years and they both have issues from time to time. I haven't find a perfect solution yet.

To make it better ;)
Not at all - one would just get a Windows machine for that purpose and a Mac for everything else! Adding pseudo non-native 'operating' systems to any computer just increases the risk of things going wrong, or malicious buglets invading one's space... :rog:

I, too, have used both for more years than I care to remember - the PCs and Windows based laptops were always providing challenges from blue screen crashes to malware to invasions and unknown issues of one sort or another.

Whereas the Mac's I have used exclusively at my home and home office, for nearly 10 years, I am able to count the issues we have experienced on just one hand - and Apple's support and after sales, in my humble experience, just cannot be beat... ;)

I have also used Parallels on a Mac machine because one of my clients used networking solutions that had not caught up with the world of Mac, other than that I would never recommend anyone uses it just for normal day to day working, it complicates things unnecessarily... :zip:

But, I recognise each to their own and once you've made your bed I hope you sleep in extreme comfort on it:D

Good luck. I do backups the old fashion way ... External hard drive backed up regularly and kept at my work. It is nice to know that I have some photos backed up through Facebook and Flickr but I should also probably get more organized. :-(
Yes, an odd chain of events, was cleaning up my backup routine... initialized my external drive to get a clean backup, and then found my Carbonite was not up-to-date.
:mad:
I I disconnected the external with hopes of maybe un-formatting it, and have my data drive in the freezer... sometimes, strange as it sounds, could revive it one last time.
Trying everything I know before I pay $$$ to have data recovery done.
Thanks!

So sorry to hear of your problems with your poota failure and back-up issues D, that really sucks and I feel for you... :(

Especially if you already have experience of iPhoto and are considering Aperture - both fabulously smooth and dedicated Mac apps... ;)

I would definitely recommend the largest Time Machine you can get to back up your stuff - it is amazing and just works and best of is totally automatic, a superb fit and forget peace of mind... :D
Thanks Rog! I do have my MacBook Pro with a 2GB Time Machine backup attached... so I do have the past two years' backups of my photos there, it's the previous. I did find however, my account at Fototime.com, although expired has many years of some of my faves....
As far as "ruining" the Mac ;) I already run Parallels on my MacBook Pro, the business world is just not ready for Mac. Not only that, I need brain food all the time, two years ago I bought my MacBook (my first Mac) as Windows no longer was a challenge after 20 years.
I do have LightRoom on both, but after watching classes on it, still feel iPhoto is much easier, as is Picasa, especially when it comes to sync'ing with Social Media.
Now, as far as forking out the $$$ for Aperture, is it worth additional features?
Thanks again Rog, I value yours and everyone else's opinions!! :)

Thanks Rog! I do have my MacBook Pro with a 2GB Time Machine backup attached... so I do have the past two years' backups of my photos there, it's the previous. I did find however, my account at Fototime.com, although expired has many years of some of my faves....
As far as "ruining" the Mac ;) I already run Parallels on my MacBook Pro, the business world is just not ready for Mac. Not only that, I need brain food all the time, two years ago I bought my MacBook (my first Mac) as Windows no longer was a challenge after 20 years.
I do have LightRoom on both, but after watching classes on it, still feel iPhoto is much easier, as is Picasa, especially when it comes to sync'ing with Social Media.
Now, as far as forking out the $$$ for Aperture, is it worth additional features?
Thanks again Rog, I value yours and everyone else's opinions!! :)
Assume you mean 2TB Dee? Time Machine can cope with multiple computers and will cycle through once full to always keep the latest back=ups, but you probably already know that... :rog:

As for Aperture, whilst I simply love the iPhoto solution myself that will just keep getting better, I suppose it depends entirely what you want to use it for?

But at a meagre £55 here, I don't think it is that much $$$s for an awesomesauce piece of software... :D

I recently bought Aperture after evaluating trials of that and Lightroom. Aperture works seamlessly with iPhoto - you can switch back and forth if you want to use slideshow, create cards etc with iPhoto. So easy.

Yes, an odd chain of events, was cleaning up my backup routine... initialized my external drive to get a clean backup, and then found my Carbonite was not up-to-date.
:mad:
I I disconnected the external with hopes of maybe un-formatting it, and have my data drive in the freezer... sometimes, strange as it sounds, could revive it one last time.
Trying everything I know before I pay $$$ to have data recovery done.
Thanks!

Wow Dee ... I'm so sorry. I hope you are able to retrieve some of the older photos. Major sadness. :-(

Venomator said:
Assume you mean 2TB Dee? Time Machine can cope with multiple computers and will cycle through once full to always keep the latest back=ups, but you probably already know that... :rog:

As for Aperture, whilst I simply love the iPhoto solution myself that will just keep getting better, I suppose it depends entirely what you want to use it for?

But at a meagre £55 here, I don't think it is that much $$$s for an awesomesauce piece of software... :D

Lol! I yes, 2TB... EARLY... :)
Thanks again!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Forum Runner

http//about.me/MsDee

lkbside said:
I recently bought Aperture after evaluating trials of that and Lightroom. Aperture works seamlessly with iPhoto - you can switch back and forth if you want to use slideshow, create cards etc with iPhoto. So easy.
Sweet! I thank you... ;)

http//about.me/MsDee

mwolfer said:
Wow Dee ... I'm so sorry. I hope you are able to retrieve some of the older photos. Major sadness. :-(
Have a box of old hard drives... Going to hope many could be on them... And, I put the bad drive in the freezer in hopes... ;)
Thanks...

http//about.me/MsDee

OH HAPPY HAPPY DAY!! :thumbs:
After my persistence... I revived that dead drive... 4 days later, I've recovered most of my photos!! :D
Now to re-think my backup strategy :coffee:

That's great Dee ! The freezer trick usually works ! I have to admit that I am Mac...anything Mac...I run a 2TB Time Machine, and a 4TB wireless backup. Periodically, I go to my iphoto library where I dump all images from my iphone and ipad - and export them to my remote drive then delete from iphoto. Time machine still automatically backs up s0 I always have a copy. I would go with a remote backup solution...4TB at least. Even if your hard drive crashes...you still have backup NOT on your desktop. :D Oh and I have a G4 Tower that I keep for real emergencies...:lmao:

Good that you were able to recover most everything. I back up photos to DVD data discs but is a carry over from the old PC days and needed them from time to time.

I have iPhoto, Aperture and Lightroom but I find myself using Aperture most of the time. I had been using iPhoto more since I got the iPad and I have the iOS version of iPhoto but now I am using 645 Pro and PureShot it is easier to use Aperture. iPhoto, no matter what format the picture is comes up as a jpeg, the original is there, just hidden. Aperture on the other hand doesn't do that so the tiffs come up right away as tiffs.

Although I have a iMac and don't use pc's a lot anymore my work dictated that was using Autocad. I have other cadd programs but always seemed to have problems converting file so I do have parallels and have the latest PCM version of Autocad. Again I have slowed down with that side because there is a Mac version again. Only downside to the Mac version is that the interface ui is just a bit different to the PC one.

OH HAPPY HAPPY DAY!! :thumbs:
After my persistence... I revived that dead drive... 4 days later, I've recovered most of my photos!! :D
Now to re-think my backup strategy :coffee:
WHOOHOO!!!! :dancing:

WOW...you are GOOD. I'm duly impressed at your tech skills. :applause: :notworthy:

Back
Top Bottom