Print Sizes

justntym

MobiStar
I have someone inquiring about selling some of my work. I am thinking of print no bigger than 8x10. Is there a specific file size or pixel count I should be aware of when printing?

If you have used the native camera or a replacement that save at the highest resolution like Camera + or ProCamera 8 then you should be fine at that size. There is a free App 'PhotoSize' that tells you the exact pixel dimensions and out put size of your image. I'd also recommend the app 'PhotoCheck' which lets you see how your image will look at several sizes plus zoom in to the exact size it'll be printed to judge the output quality.

Hope this helps....

I usually do my prints at 300 dots/inch (which means an 8x10 print would be close to the max from my iPhone 5s) -- that setting works well on my Canon Pixma Pro-10. With some images, you can sometimes get away with less, perhaps down to 200 dots/inch. Or you can "up-rez" the image with an app like Big Photo, though again, that will work OK with some images and not so OK with others.

A dark and moody image printed on a fine art paper with a bit of texture can probably get away with fewer dots/inch than an image printed on glossy black&white paper that needs to be sharpsharpsharp.

Hi terse,

How u make ur photos into 300dpi? As i know, everytime i check my photo taken by various apps at iphone, its says 72 dpi only [emoji29]

I ever use a photoshop desktop with image size feature, change the width/height dimensions and change the dpi value. Is that the correct way to produce a max quality photos? Or not?

Which app do u use at mobile?

Thanks for replying.

Hi terse,

How u make ur photos into 300dpi? As i know, everytime i check my photo taken by various apps at iphone, its says 72 dpi only [emoji29]

I ever use a photoshop desktop with image size feature, change the width/height dimensions and change the dpi value. Is that the correct way to produce a max quality photos? Or not?

Which app do u use at mobile?

Thanks for replying.
I answered most of this in my reply to you in the PureShot thread just now. (Probably should have done it here instead. Oops.)

I haven't done any printing direct from mobile. There doesn't seem to be any way to do so that gives you full access to all the printer settings, like ICC profiles for paper and such. I may give it a try at some point, but right now I do it all from Photoshop. So I'll do all the editing of my mobile photos on my iPad and then transfer them to my desktop and do the sizing and printing there.

I answered most of this in my reply to you in the PureShot thread just now. (Probably should have done it here instead. Oops.)

I haven't done any printing direct from mobile. There doesn't seem to be any way to do so that gives you full access to all the printer settings, like ICC profiles for paper and such. I may give it a try at some point, but right now I do it all from Photoshop. So I'll do all the editing of my mobile photos on my iPad and then transfer them to my desktop and do the sizing and printing there.

Hehe yeah i just ask u here and there...

But, is that my way is correct? I wish my photos are larger than the size of printing i want. But sometimes it is not.

So, is it right to Image Size and put the dimension in height/width and dpi as i want?

Edit: just read ur post at Pureshot thread [emoji28]

Sorry if i copas herr ur post there. Is it oke?

sck, I meant 8x10 or A4 or smaller. To get anything like A3/13x19, you have to uprez, which doesn't always work so well.

So far, I've done all my photo printing in Photoshop on a desktop. First thing I do is open the photo, go to Image Size, turn Resample off, and set the dpi to 300. (That changes the dpi without changing the pixel dimensions.) Then, if the print size after this change is not what I want, I turn Resample back on and set the new print size. That change will uprez or downrez the photo as needed, changing the pixel dimensions of the image.

How if i choose Resample on in first place? Will it be diff result with ur steps above?

How if i choose Resample on in first place? Will it be diff result with ur steps above?
No, if you know you want to or have to Resample, then you might as well do it right off. The result will be the same. One problem with resampling, particularly upsampling, is that you can lose sharpness, so I try to avoid it if I don't need it.

I don't usually have a set print size in mind when I go to print a photo. So I set the dpi to 300 with Resample off just so I can see what the print size will be in its "natural" state, and if that seems big enough, then I don't have to worry about resampling.

I always end up doing at least a couple of trial prints anyway, to get the color right, try different papers, and so on. If I decide I need to make the print bigger, it's not a problem.

Reactions: sck
No, if you know you want to or have to Resample, then you might as well do it right off. The result will be the same. One problem with resampling, particularly upsampling, is that you can lose sharpness, so I try to avoid it if I don't need it.

I don't usually have a set print size in mind when I go to print a photo. So I set the dpi to 300 with Resample off just so I can see what the print size will be in its "natural" state, and if that seems big enough, then I don't have to worry about resampling.

I always end up doing at least a couple of trial prints anyway, to get the color right, try different papers, and so on. If I decide I need to make the print bigger, it's not a problem.

Nice nice explanations [emoji4]

Thanks a lot. I will try it.

Btw, actually i want to print my children portrait, b/w portraits precisely. So, i think its not as complex as color, maybe.

Edit:
One more thing, what kind of printer do u use? Inkjet/laser/or?

I have a color laser printer, lowend version i think, from HP. But till now, I can't find a proper paper to use. The most i used that ever successfully is fine art paper 150gr.

I use Filterstorm to resize and the images save hi-res. As far as I know that should be enough for printing?

Nice nice explanations [emoji4]

Thanks a lot. I will try it.

Btw, actually i want to print my children portrait, b/w portraits precisely. So, i think its not as complex as color, maybe.

Edit:
One more thing, what kind of printer do u use? Inkjet/laser/or?

I have a color laser printer, lowend version i think, from HP. But till now, I can't find a proper paper to use. The most i used that ever successfully is fine art paper 150gr.
We've got two inkjet printers, a Canon Pixma Pro-10 (pigment inks, 13x19) and a Canon MP990 multi-function (dye inks, 8.5x14). I've never had a color laser, though, so no idea about paper for that.

B/W has its own complications.:D

Reactions: sck
We've got two inkjet printers, a Canon Pixma Pro-10 (pigment inks, 13x19) and a Canon MP990 multi-function (dye inks, 8.5x14). I've never had a color laser, though, so no idea about paper for that.

B/W has its own complications.:D

Eh, i just realized if inkjet printer from Canon have many kind of ink. Or did u replace them? What its original ink, pigment or dye ink?

Eh, i just realized if inkjet printer from Canon have many kind of ink. Or did u replace them? What its original ink, pigment or dye ink?
Some printers use pigment inks, some use dye inks. I'm not totally sure, but I don't think you can switch from one type of ink to the other in a single printer. Office, home, and multifunction printers generally use dye inks (sometimes with extra black pigment ink just for printing text). Higher-end photo and fine art printers usually use pigment inks.

Dye inks are usually brighter when printed. Pigment inks are usually more archival (last longer without fading or color-shifting).

Better photo printers usually have more different color inks. Instead of the usual cyan, magenta, yellow, and black (CMYK), they'll likely have from 6 to 12 ink colors for more accurate and subtle blending. All the same, an old workhorse multifunction printer like the Canon MP990 (CMYK plus gray dye inks) can print very good photos, especially on gloss or semigloss paper.

Some printers use pigment inks, some use dye inks. I'm not totally sure, but I don't think you can switch from one type of ink to the other in a single printer. Office, home, and multifunction printers generally use dye inks (sometimes with extra black pigment ink just for printing text). Higher-end photo and fine art printers usually use pigment inks.

Dye inks are usually brighter when printed. Pigment inks are usually more archival (last longer without fading or color-shifting).

Better photo printers usually have more different color inks. Instead of the usual cyan, magenta, yellow, and black (CMYK), they'll likely have from 6 to 12 ink colors for more accurate and subtle blending. All the same, an old workhorse multifunction printer like the Canon MP990 (CMYK plus gray dye inks) can print very good photos, especially on gloss or semigloss paper.

Oke, u open my mind.. for a long time i just know inkjet printer with "inkjet inks", whatever it is haha.... i have to find out which one i use

I use Filterstorm to resize and the images save hi-res. As far as I know that should be enough for printing?
Probably, yes. Or Big Photo. But if I need to resize in order to print (rather than for some other reason), I do it in Photoshop on my laptop since that's where I print from also. Photoshop seems to do a slightly better job in resizing than the mobile apps do.

Probably, yes. Or Big Photo. But if I need to resize in order to print (rather than for some other reason), I do it in Photoshop on my laptop since that's where I print from also. Photoshop seems to do a slightly better job in resizing than the mobile apps do.

Hi terse,

Just tried to edit in mobile, but resize in desktop for printing. And yes, because the biggest one i print only 8R or as big as A4, iphone 5s camera resolution is adequately for me when set to 300dpi (with note: not too much cropping)

Back
Top Bottom