St. James Cathedral

Mathue

MobiStarter
Real Name
Mathue Totten
Device
I took a little walk today while waiting for a friend to finish an appointment. I love the look of old churches and cathedrals. I took several different shots but I liked this one best. Taken with my iPhone 6splus native camera app and edited with Snapseed. My first foray into architecture photography. Let me know what you think.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1453518321.241204.jpg

I like this. And congrats on a new foray !

I'll be interested to hear what some of our experienced architectural shooters croppers and perspective-ears have to say. I'm particularly curious to hear about the crop - if there's an argument for more or less 'sky' in this kind of image.

And how gorgeous is that blue against the gold of the stone ?!

Nicely done. I think your selection of how much of the building to show works very well here, a part that still gives the impression of the whole. (I tend to include too much in situations like these.) Did you frame this all in the camera or crop it some later. (I'm a crop-it-later kind of guy because I find it hard to get things right on the spot.)

Nicely done. I think your selection of how much of the building to show works very well here, a part that still gives the impression of the whole. (I tend to include too much in situations like these.) Did you frame this all in the camera or crop it some later. (I'm a crop-it-later kind of guy because I find it hard to get things right on the spot.)

Thanks for the complements!
I ended up cropping this one in post processing but when I took the photo I tried to get the cathedral to cover roughly a third of the grid squares on the screen. So the final crop was pretty minimal.

I like this. And congrats on a new foray !

I'll be interested to hear what some of our experienced architectural shooters croppers and perspective-ears have to say. I'm particularly curious to hear about the crop - if there's an argument for more or less 'sky' in this kind of image.

And how gorgeous is that blue against the gold of the stone ?!

Thank you! I too love the gold of the cathedral against the blue sky! I tried to follow the rule of this when it comes to sky vs subject. This one seemed to work although I think the proportion is a bit off...

Another shot of St. James Cathedral from a different angle. Taken with my iPhone6splus native camera and edited with Snapseed. Let me know what you think?

*I wasn't sure if I should just add another photo to the first thread or start a new one for this photo. Maybe someone can advise?

-Mathue

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1453590348.109460.jpg

Another shot of St. James Cathedral from a different angle.

*I wasn't sure if I should just add another photo to the first thread or start a new one for this photo. Maybe someone can advise?

-Mathue

As it pleases you, Mathue.
I must say from my own PoV I quite like to see different shots of same subject in the same thread - for easy comparison.

PS: I like this one, too!

Nice work here, too. I think both shots look good, all the technical stuff in order and well laid out. The first one is my favorite of the two because it's a quirkier view (and I like that).

Wonderful composition, and it's nice to see the beautiful details up close.

I agree with Jen about seeing the different versions in the same thread.... it kind of tells a story. I'd be happy to merge the threads if you'd like. :thumbs:

Wonderful composition, and it's nice to see the beautiful details up close.

I agree with Jen about seeing the different versions in the same thread.... it kind of tells a story. I'd be happy to merge the threads if you'd like. :thumbs:

Thank you!
If you want to merge the two that would be fine. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom