Stackables - how to B/W

Mik

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Michael
Device
iPhone X
I want to show you how easy it is to make images into B/W with Stackables. See, why it can be fun.

First we start with an colour image. I use my iPad, but you should be able to follow along on your iPhone. You see on the left side that we have one first layer, called Layer 1, lying on top of our image. This is always the default when you first loaded an image.

image.jpg

As we don't need a texture layer in this tutorial we now change the type of the layer to a filter (the red star on top tool bar shows the button to tap). So just tap the "filter" button. On the right side you now see the available filters. We leave it as it is for now. These filters change the colours of the image. There are some B/W filters down the filter list, but we want to use an alternative way which gives us more control over the result.

image.jpg

We add another layer (bottom left), choose "sliders" as layer type (top tool bar) and select the first one called "Color Adjust" from the right tool bar. The image should look the same as before. The new layer is called "layer 2". (Funny, eh :) )

image.jpg

Now we came to the B/W part. With layer 2 still selected, choose "saturation" in the bottom tool bar and drag the slider all way to the left. There you have it, B/W! But wait, there is more...

image.jpg

Select layer 1, the filter layer, and then, in the right tool bar, select any of the other filters and see how this will change the B/W image. Depending on the original image colours, the filters vary in their results. And there is even more...

image.jpg

You want some colour back? Ok, select layer 2 again and in the right tool bar, tap on the bottommost button. It should read "Normal" (the default here). Now the right tool bar shows the so called "layer styles", like Overlay, Soft Light and so on. Layer styles change the way, how the selected filter/texture/whatnot from the left tool bar is interacting with the image. Of course it is more complex than that but I won't tell you now. :) Just step through the layer styles and see the effects they do on the image.

image.jpg

One last thing. You can add more layers, like another "slider" layer, choose the type "grain" (yeah!) and choose the layer style called Overlay. With the slider on the bottom you can further adjust the intensity of grain. I used a B/W setting as described earlier and not the colour setting from above. But you can add grain to any image as you like. It's best to keep the grain layer at the end (that is the bottom) of the layers list.

image.jpg

I hope, you had fun with this small tutorial and you are able to understand my bad english. There is so much more you can do. Maybe I have some more time in the following weeks to address some of the other cool features.

Thanks to Stackables and to iColorama (to put the red stars in there).

Wow, this is like a great magazine article ! Thanks so much for taking the time to create this 'article', especially with all the great screenshots.

I will be trying this on my iPad later. Stackables really is a very flexible app !

I want to show you how easy it is to make images into B/W with Stackables. See, why it can be fun.

Thanks Michael for the tutorial! Well done indeed! That is the great thing about Stackables - it is very versatile and user-friendly, addicting, and most of all... fun!

Wow! and Thanks! for this fabulous tutorial! Looking forward to trying this out.

Perhaps MobiPeeps should post up Before/After shots here showing the transformation to B&W? :thumbs:

First we start with an colour image. I use my iPad, but you should be able to follow along on your iPhone. You see on the left side that we have one first layer, called Layer 1, lying on top of our image. This is always the default when you first loaded an image.

View attachment 56279

As we don't need a texture layer in this tutorial we now change the type of the layer to a filter (the red star on top tool bar shows the button to tap). So just tap the "filter" button. On the right side you now see the available filters. We leave it as it is for now. These filters change the colours of the image. There are some B/W filters down the filter list, but we want to use an alternative way which gives us more control over the result.

View attachment 56281

We add another layer (bottom left), choose "sliders" as layer type (top tool bar) and select the first one called "Color Adjust" from the right tool bar. The image should look the same as before. The new layer is called "layer 2". (Funny, eh :) )

View attachment 56282

Now we came to the B/W part. With layer 2 still selected, choose "saturation" in the bottom tool bar and drag the slider all way to the left. There you have it, B/W! But wait, there is more...

View attachment 56283

Select layer 1, the filter layer, and then, in the right tool bar, select any of the other filters and see how this will change the B/W image. Depending on the original image colours, the filters vary in their results. And there is even more...

View attachment 56284

You want some colour back? Ok, select layer 2 again and in the right tool bar, tap on the bottommost button. It should read "Normal" (the default here). Now the right tool bar shows the so called "layer styles", like Overlay, Soft Light and so on. Layer styles change the way, how the selected filter/texture/whatnot from the left tool bar is interacting with the image. Of course it is more complex than that but I won't tell you now. :) Just step through the layer styles and see the effects they do on the image.

View attachment 56285

One last thing. You can add more layers, like another "slider" layer, choose the type "grain" (yeah!) and choose the layer style called Overlay. With the slider on the bottom you can further adjust the intensity of grain. I used a B/W setting as described earlier and not the colour setting from above. But you can add grain to any image as you like. It's best to keep the grain layer at the end (that is the bottom) of the layers list.

View attachment 56286

I hope, you had fun with this small tutorial and you are able to understand my bad english. There is so much more you can do. Maybe I have some more time in the following weeks to address some of the other cool features.

Thanks to Stackables and to iColorama (to put the red stars in there).
Excellent mini tutorial Mik! Thanks for putting it together and sharing it with the community. :notworthy:

We are always amazed by new and unique ways Stackables is being put to use! :eek:

Thanks Mik! That's a big help. I have been working on some BW from a recent trip and was looking for a better way. Kurt

Stackables is my new BFF :rolleyes: - I was still toying with ImageBlender and Fusion something, but we're exclusive now :)

Cat ImageBlender was one of my first apps when I first got my first iPad - remember when there were about six editing apps in the Apple store? And I've always been perfectly happy with it. It's a big thing for me to send a favourite app out to pasture in the Cloud, sotospeak. It's just that Stackables, well,you know .. :oops:

I want to show you Of course it is more complex than that but I won't tell you now. :) Just step through the layer styles and see the effects they do on the image. I hope, you had fun with this small tutorial and you are able to understand my bad english. There is so much more you can do. Maybe I have some more time in the following weeks to address some of the other cool features.

Mik 1. I'm looking fwd to the next episodes! 2. Your English is awesome :notworthy: :) 3. I am an untraveled Australian and very uneducated in architecture. I've not seen a building like the one in your tutorial! What is it? (I imagine I am gone only person in the world who does not know its name :oops:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks to ALL for your kind comments.
zenjenny: To see this building you have to visit Berlin, Germany :) It's the GSW Building, a German real-estate company. I saw it for my first time in July when I visited Berlin. It's near Checkpoint Charlie.

Back
Top Bottom