Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
14May2013
I really thought we were going to get a nice sunset but turned out to be kind of so, so. First image was a crop from Pureshot. Second and third was playing around with the app Magic Hour. I like both edited versions, third has a grunge added to it.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368803827.130514.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368803856.524308.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368803883.014998.jpg

16May2013
Pretty nice sunset last night, these are all unedited PureShot
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368804167.527723.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368804198.879800.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368804227.476069.jpg

Another nice sunset so I decided to try something completely off the wall. I took pictures in Pro HDR, True HDR and HDR3. I also have some in KitCam, Pure Shot, Hipstamatic and Oggl. I will put up the HDR images. I tried getting the settings as close to the same between them. I left all three in auto mode and let each app pick the exposure points. Ie trying to see the difference between the apps. All were taken one right after the other to minimize light changes at sunset.

Pro HDR
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368847605.825355.jpg

First thing I noticed was how much brighter and more yellow it was. Easy to tell this one because its screen is slightly different aspect ratio then the others, the house on the right side is clipped off.

True HDR
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368847833.889503.jpg

At lot more colour and as I mentioned screen aspect is wider than Pro HDR

HDR3
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368847954.402385.jpg

This one was a bit of a surprise, much flatter looking then the other two almost like the saturation is lower although I tried to get all the settings the same. I think a lot of the difference is also how the app picks exposure points so next will be to try manual and set them as close to the same as I can.

I thought it was an interesting comparison, what do you peeps think?

You know, it's always a matter of personal preference. My choice is the True HDR. The Pro HDR may be more natural, but it loses some detail in both highlight and shadow.

Yes I know a lot comes down to personal choice I like HDR that is more realistic, others I know love that over the top look.

As I said I will try it again in manual mode and try and get exposure points at the same points in the different apps. Each app has it's own way of coming up with those exposure points so try to minimize it as much as possible.

My little idea of comparing all the true HDR apps might take more time then I thought and I don't know yet where I'm going to put it (I don't have a web site of my own. What I might do is put in a blog where people can comment and do it in smaller groups. Because most of the apps don't have exif data I have to try and keep everything written down so I don't get completely mixed up...

Larry you should start a blog, I have two one for the jewellery I make and sell and the other for photos. It started off as a photo a day blog but I got a bit slack so it's now a "once in awhile photo" blog. But the beauty is with Blogger they have an ipad app so it's easy to blog from that, your photos are right there instead of transferring to a computer and then blogging.

Also, Larry, I would be proud to have you guest post at "enthusiasm noted". I would love for some conversation to be sparked over there, now that I'm starting to actually gain some readers.

Also, Larry, I would be proud to have you guest post at "enthusiasm noted". I would love for some conversation to be sparked over there, now that I'm starting to actually gain some readers.
Will have to work something out, I like the idea of posting to an established location and it may help you as well. Might set up a blog also as Davinia suggested, can't hurt to have the same info in both places.

The wife was talking about driving out to BC for a month or so and leave early next month so how much of my project I will get done I don't know. However it will give me some pretty country to try HDR on. We go to a small (no services) campground, nice and quiet and lots of trees and river beside us and with mountains all around. Nice place to kick back and relax with friends. I can run the generator so power isn't an issue but no Internet while we are there. Last year after camping there we drove to Kelowna where my brother lives and got a campground, while it claimed to have Internet it was mediocre at best.

Another pretty sunset, all day it has been heavy overcast this morning with only a few breaks then it cleared up until 4:30 or 5:00 and looked like we would get more rain instead a few drops of rain then the clouds broke up a bit. I will post two pictures, the first is from 645 Pro with it set to 6:17 aspect. The second was taken with HDRCamera Pro by Harold Meyer it takes 3 pictures and merges them and currently sells for $2.99. Then I used PhotoToaster to add the border (Black Brush) and texture (Canvas)
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368939263.157923.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368939276.131424.jpg

26 May 2013 Sunset
All HDR3 bumped saturation a touch, dropped brightness a touch, the image is very close to what I can see. The second picture is run through CamDream and not touched otherwise. Quite like the Orton Effect!
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1369625495.377923.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1369625601.389680.jpg

I must make people think I'm a bit off my rocker. I take my lawn chair outside our front door, set up the tripod with the iPad. One couple walked past and I overheard the lady ask the guy with her "what's he watching?" Comment on it's own is innocent enough but it's the tone of her voice :D most are quite friendly...

My next door neighbour made me real jealous today. They just picked up a '79 MGB. Beautiful car and one I have lusted over for many years. Run's, drives, body is really nice condition, interior needs the seats to be recovered and he was working on brakes this afternoon. He thinks one axle seal is seeping a little so will get the parts and fix it. He already has a early TR6, a 60’s Midget that he has been welding new body panels on, then it goes to get repainted and he has a Spitfire that is waiting to be restored! Will try and get some pics of the new toy...

You've posted elsewhere about your tripod for your iPad, right? I seem to remember someone posting. I don't have that setup, but wish I did.
For some reason, I'm not happy with Cam Dream. I can't remember why, though. But I can reproduce, fairly closely, the effect. The picture below is half and half. On the left, I took the original through Photoshop Touch. I duplicated the layer, did a 10-pixel Gaussian blur, blended the blurred layer in Overlay mode at 70% opacity. On the right, your version through Cam Dream. There is a difference, since you can see the dividing line, but there isn't much of one.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1369628173.833498.jpg

As for your friend: some of us restore cars, and some are appwhores! ;)

You've posted elsewhere about your tripod for your iPad, right? I seem to remember someone posting. I don't have that setup, but wish I did.
For some reason, I'm not happy with Cam Dream. I can't remember why, though. But I can reproduce, fairly closely, the effect. The picture below is half and half. On the left, I took the original through Photoshop Touch. I duplicated the layer, did a 10-pixel Gaussian blur, blended the blurred layer in Overlay mode at 70% opacity. On the right, your version through Cam Dream. There is a difference, since you can see the dividing line, but there isn't much of one.
As for your friend: some of us restore cars, and some are appwhores! ;)
Tripod mount for the iPad.
This is my current setup.
http://www.mobitog.com/index.php?threads/iPad-on-a-Tripod-(my-setup).11955/
FundyBrians setup.
http://www.mobitog.com/index.php?threads/iPad-tripod-mount,-lens-hood,-viewing.12392/

You did a good job matching the Orton Effect. Maybe if Brian sees it he will like it too. CamDream only has the one effect but it is free and while you have to put up with ads they don't bother me a lot. It's very fast and as I said I quite like the effect. I like that you can send photos to or from both King Camera and CamDream. If you don't want adds $0.99 will get rid of them. I wish they would have simply added the effect into King Camera rather than a separate app but they didn't I will copy how you did the effect and may try it on our trip if I find time. If I find a nice place out in BC for pictures I will try to get to my HDR comparisons. Right now I have Pure Shot set up for bracketed shots so it doesn't take long to take them. Most of the HDR apps will let you load images.

I have been a car nut all my life, my son is following in my footsteps in that regard, he say's that because I was always tinkering with cars at he liked helping me it was sort of natural for him. Having a mechanic also works for us as he helps me with cars or the Motorhome. Even motorhome's is rubbing off on him. He almost bought a 35' last year, the owner had a fire and burned part of the harness but his insurance company decided to get it fixed which in the end cost them almost $30,000, for a ten year old motorhome that you can replace for around $20,000 now. Right now he is thinking about a 70's GMC motorhome. I don't find it odd that I am an AppWhore :D I have been into computers, cameras etc all my life to and I used to collect computers. I used to have an Amiga video setup for titling and editing. For me 'collecting' which some might call hoarding :) is second nature. With apps it's to easy as they generally, for photo apps, pretty small and they don't cost a lot, besides it keeps me busy with something I enjoy...

Sunset 28May2013
Really nice sunset tonight.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1369797775.474156.jpg
Hipstamatic, Tejas Lens, Ina's 82 Film, Jolly Rainbo 1/2Flash
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1369797895.190705.jpg
645 Pro

Anyone know what this shrub is? It's in our back yard but I have no idea what it is, will try to get better pictures tomorrow
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1369798081.891316.jpg

Sunset 28May2013
Really nice sunset tonight.
View attachment 37823 Hipstamatic, Tejas Lens, Ina's 82 Film, Jolly Rainbo 1/2Flash
View attachment 37824 645 Pro

Anyone know what this shrub is? It's in our back yard but I have no idea what it is, will try to get better pictures tomorrow
View attachment 37825
These are all great... really like the Hipsta/Tejas shot. That shrub looks so familiar...not sure of the name though. :confused:

Clearer picture of the shrub. Blossoms don't last long, last night the thing was nothing but blossoms, this afternoon probably half are on the grass.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1369867309.036301.jpg

This is my crab apple tree right now. Not sure why one branch has pink flowers while the rest of the tree is white.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1369867412.440631.jpg

Both done with 645 Pro

I really like the Lomora image. Great hues and tnes. :)

By the way Larry, how did you get your Hipstamatic lenses and films into Oggl?
You have to be a paid member, once you are you can add them just one item at a time.

Go to main screen and in the bar with icons for portrait, sunset etc, pull that bar to the left and click on the "+" it will change the screen and near the top there should be "Get More Gear" tap on it and you should get a screen with all the Lens Boxes and Films. If you select any one box it opens another screen with the lens or film a description and sample images. If you have the lens or film it will have a yellow circle with a check ark on the left side. If you don't have it it has a grey circle with a downward facing arrow on the right, tap on it and it will load the lens or screen and turn yellow with the check mark. You can download everything except the film OG which will tell that it is not done yet. Doesn't take as long as I thought it might but download times may be slower if their servers are busy, I only had a couple where it took longer. They say that there will be an easier way to import coming.

They are still talking about having a share to Oggl feed in Hipstamatic but no import from photoroll and you will not be able to alter the images.

Back
Top Bottom