The Architecture/Design Thread

lazaro

This thread is for those MobiPeeps who love and/or take photographs of architecture and design.

It's a great passion of mine that I'd love to share and so here we can post and discuss our images and techniques for taking them.

Any kind of architectural/design photographs in any style are welcome, from modernist monstrosities to the abandoned, 100 year old water cistern rusting in a field, if you're passionate about physical form, structure and its relationship to nature, or you're just curious, please post and discuss.

Best,
L

maximillian.jpg

Concrete and Steel Interior - Venice, California

Last edited:
This thread is for those MobiPeeps who love and/or take photographs of architecture and design.

It's a great passion of mine that I'd love to share and so here we can post and discuss our images and techniques for taking them.

Any kind of architectural/design photographs in any style are welcome, from modernist monstrosities to the abandoned, 100 year old water cistern rusting in a field, if you're passionate about physical form, structure and its relationship to nature, or you're just curious, please post and discuss.

Best,
L
@lazaro - What a superb idea for a project Laz... :notworthy:

I reckon this is going to be one to watch... :D

Since I can't edit posts after likes are received (thanks guys!) some more info as I go along here that will hopefully not bore you:

-The "Venice Interior" is circa 2011. It was shot with 645pro and edited in snapseed. It's a private residence by a private architect that I'm very fond of and was lucky enough to spend a night drinking in. It has a strange feel: on one hand, especially when you first walk in, the elegant touch of the aesthetic dandy, on the other (especially as you get more drunk) it starts to resemble and feel like you're in the hull of a russian nuclear submarine. I guess that's why they call it post-modern.

-The "Closed Laundromat" can be found in a strip mall on the corner of melrose avenue and vine street. It's circa mid 1970s. It was shot with Pureshot. My fiancé persuaded me to not edit it (she dislikes editing and has better taste than me.) Most importantly, yes, in the past, I've done my laundry there. I stumbled in after a dinner in the neighborhood where the conversation had taken a turn for the unamusing and I needed to find something to amuse. The kind woman cleaning the place thought I was absolutely nuts to want to take pictures, but she let me as long as I didn't screw up the freshly mopped floors. I did my best.

-The "White Stairs" are from a duplex in the hills of echo park that I pass regularly. They are Spanish. Most of the buildings this area of Los Angeles were designed in the 40s, 50s and 60s, especially with the outpouring of people from the east coast of the U.S. at that time, especially artists, creatives, architects, etc. looking to make a post-war go of it on their own terms, so that's my assumption. It's run down, but the steps, which, after close inspection, I believe are original, show the glory it once was.

I'm going to keep posting here, but please feel free to join in with buildings, places, objects you love, how you shot them, and any story or information behind them you care to share. I would love to see at the world around you that captivates you.

Best,
L

Last edited:
image.jpg

Apartment Building with Art Deco Tile Wall - Wilshire Boulevard at MacArthur Park, Los Angeles, circa 1930-40s.

Shot with 645ProMKII. Edited with filterstorm N and camera bag.

A lot of dilapidated originals in East Los Angeles, before the city's rich and white moved west towards the ocean and hills in the 50s. While much of east Los Angeles is still very much low income, gentrification is rapidly changing the landscape. These buildings will soon either be renovated, earthquaked or demo'd as the poor and immigrant populations are forced to move further east and south.

This is a wonderful series. I really like the way you've used applications to bring out the interesting areas of each building.

image.jpg

"Feeling Romantix?" Glendale California Warehouse by the 5 freeway, circa early 1980s.

As "the valley" of Southern California is well documented as ground zero for the international adult film industry (and one of the great American gifts to the world, for better and worse,) this is one of the last hold outs of the brick and mortar adult video stores to be found in North America now that the free and "private" internet has supplanted this once thriving industry. I imagine that unless they diversify, this landmark too will soon go the way of the whale.

The primary colors, especially the blues, reds and yellows, are crass and lush, and I love the corrugated iron walls and painted out windows at the top which only add to the glorious seediness of what would otherwise look like nothing more than a storage center for grain or auto parts. The old Town Car sedan parked out front adds to the perfection; I couldn't have drawn this scene up more authentically with a production designer.

This photo was taken with 645ProMKII at around noon on a Tuesday not too long ago while my dog and I were stuck in traffic.

Last edited:
"Feeling Romantix?" Glendale California Warehouse by the 5 freeway, circa early 1980s.

As "the valley" of Southern California is well documented as ground zero for the international adult film industry (and one of the great American gifts to the world, for better and worse,) this is one of the last hold outs of the brick and mortar adult video stores to be found in North America now that the free and "private" internet has supplanted this once thriving industry. I imagine that unless they diversify, this landmark too will soon go the way of the whale.

The primary colors, especially the blues, reds and yellows, are crass and lush, and I love the corrugated iron walls and painted out windows at the top which only add to the glorious seediness of what would otherwise look like nothing more than a storage center for grain or auto parts. The old Town Car sedan parked out front adds to the perfection; I couldn't have drawn this scene up more authentically with a production designer.

This photo was taken with 645ProMKII at around noon on a Tuesday not too long ago while my dog and I were stuck in traffic.
@lazaro - This iMage is an excellent illustration of the beauty of 645 Pro MkII's absolutely gorgeous capabilities Laz... :inlove:

I'm sure @Mike Hardaker will be pleased and, hopefully, impressed it is being used to such great effect... :D

@lazaro - This iMage is an excellent illustration of the beauty of 645 Pro MkII's absolutely gorgeous capabilities Laz... :inlove:

I'm sure @Mike Hardaker will be pleased and, hopefully, impressed it is being used to such great effect... :D

@Venomator I couldn't agree more. @Mike Hardaker is the most brilliant and consistent developer in the world of mobile photography and I'm grateful for his work, how far he's pushed the art and craft with his technogical innovation, and the quality of images it's allowed us all to capture at an affordable price. Absolutely honored when he supports my work and always happy to support him and jag.gr. I do believe they will go down in history as the Leica of mobile photography. Perhaps not the most commercial, but constantly pushing the quality of mobile photog to new heights.

IMG_9547.jpg

Spanish Shadows - Elysian Park, Los Angeles, date unknown. An old part of town bordering Dodger Stadium, so I assume it's original (1920s-30s) and refurbished. The afternoon light against the white stucco and through the ovals is stunning, the shadows are distinctly South West: intense and mysterious in their profound contrasts - even in Autumn; they immediately call to mind the work of Weston, Rivera, O'Keefe and others of that era of early 20th Century South West Modernism. The constant play between light and shadow (with little medium tones) is one of the benefits of living here as it constantly surprises and stuns.

Shot with Pureshot, Processed with Alt Photo - Red Sensitivity to bring out some subtleties lost in the darkness and light.

camelmissioninkodakelitecolor200.jpg

"whoah wallpaper..."
carmel mission inn, carmel california

walking into a hotel room you stopped at because there was nothing left in town, and being greeted by this, um, amazing blue neon shell designed wallpaper, was really something. for those of you familiar with the early work of the writer Joan Didion, I refer to stylistic flourishes such as this as the school of "California Grotesquery," fortunately it is solely indigenous to this region of the universe.

snapped with vividhdr and processed with Sony DxO Kodak elite color 200.

Last edited:
View attachment 45324

white stairs and garden - echo park/los angeles

photo shot on vividhdr (lively), cropped in snapseed, posted in AltPhoto Kodachrome
Gorgeous!!! :inlove:

View attachment 45456

Boarded Wood Shack, Silverlake California
Shot with pureshot, processed with filterstorm neu
Really like this shot....
View attachment 45522

Fabulous colors, lines and shapes.

I'm always drawn to colors, lines and shapes... I'd say 90% of my NYC shots have that in common (I have to really force myself to include people in these shots...I'm always waiting for them to get OUT of the frame, lol.) Here's a trio I took recently while walking through the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. All Hipsta.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Florence+Robusta

I'm always drawn to colors, lines and shapes... I'd say 90% of my NYC shots have that in common (I have to really force myself to include people in these shots...I'm always waiting for them to get OUT of the frame, lol.) Here's a trio I took recently while walking through the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. All Hipsta.

View attachment 45630 View attachment 45631 View attachment 45632

Florence+Robusta

I love these, and the neighborhood, when I 1st lived in NYC Chelsea was my 1st hood...much different, more like BKLYN a couple yrs ago. It's also one of my favorite hipstamatic combos, along with Jane/Robusta.

I particularly like 1st images design and the children's center tiles. I imagine the 1st is relatively new and the children's is ol' school original 1970s Chelsea.

I'll be in NYC for December, interested to see what happens photographically as all my learning has come in the open, lonely spaces of SoCal and the west. Be interesting to see what happens when that sensibility and the worlds most dense and frenetic environment collide. Expecting some wild awkwardness, but so be it.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Everything changes, except the Los Angeles's Fairfax Farmer's Market. I never liked it, always found it tacky, until my fiance, who's half northern italian, showed me how to squint my eyes, forget that the Price is Right and Access Hollywood are filmed mere feet away, and pretend that I was in an old European market. It does have everything, and it does bring all sorts of people together in the middle of LA, and that is a bit of a feat. I can see the colors now, faded pastels, nearly Mediterranean, and how not since the 60s have they changed the tables, chairs and stalls...and now, what I once found utterly tacky, I have a great feeling for, and I hope they never do change it.

This was taken on a lonely, hot tuesday late morning in September, hard shadows, heavy contrast, heat, people trying to get out of the heat, thus the notorious LA emptiness in the middle of a busy market.

It was shot with pureshot, slightly cropped and contrasted with snapseed, and filtered with alt photo's fade all in hopes of capturing the feeling of heat, old world color and pictoral loneliness that only LA can afford in its own unique way.

(if you're on a pad, landscape mode will provide fuller detail.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom