The iPad mini for photographers

Great link. Thanks for sharing. My fiance has an iPad mini and it's great for photography. Camera quality is good and so much easier to handle out in the field.

Run to the iTunes Store and get Michael Hardaker's 645 Pro or PureShot. I love both of these, yes I did buy both. 645 Pro I use when I want to see all the information or use a different format like 6x6 or 16:9 etc. PureShot is a simpler app to use and is great for quick pictures. His apps save in jpeg (less compression than the std app so a little better quality), high jpeg which is the highest quality for jpeg. The last two are tiff images. 645 Pro has a compressed version or an uncompressed version. PureShot only has the compressed tiff. Space for me is not a big issue so I have been using pretty much only tiff and 645 Pro is always set to uncompressed. Of coarse as there is less compression the file size goes up.

So far I like my iPad 3 and the camera is decent. Mine is a 64 gig and if I had of had the option of 128 back then I probably would have gone that route. There are an amazing amount of great apps available. This site has led me to some new apps that I didn't know about and it's a great place to ask questions.

Agreed, Larry, the iPad 3 has a superb camera and I have had some great results from it. However, compared to the iPad mini, lugging that around is like carrying a field camera (and there is a very good app that makes it actually look like an old wooden plate camera!). The trade of is, of course, the slightly lower quality of the iPad mini lens and screen. However, I am sure all these problems will be resolved by the end of this year.;)

Yeah I really like the size of the mini and may well of bought one instead of the 3rd gen but the mini at that time was still rumour. But I don't regret the 3rd gen, I love the screen on it and so far have never had issues, but then my 2 keeps plugging along. I played with a mini for a few hours at Christmas and really didn't want to give it back. Who knows I may go buy one :) but will wait and see what they do for next gen.

FieldCam is another of Michael Hardaker's and I have heard good things about it too. But because 645 Pro does everything it does...

Taking mine isn't too bad and now that I can mount it my Manfrotto tripod, no more shaky pics.

Back
Top Bottom