Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
image.jpg

https://www.tineye.com

'TinEye finds exact and altered copies of the images that you submit, including those that have been cropped, colour adjusted, resized, heavily edited or slightly rotated. TinEye does not commonly return similar matches, and it cannot recognize the contents of any image. This means that TinEye cannot find different images with the same people or things in them'.

I noticed on Pixite Apps' IG page that they're 'checking uploaded images via Tineye'.

Do y'all know about this? I'm used to discovering such things a year or two after they've become old news.

Bit like 'Turnitin' plagiarism checking software? Great if it can help stem the tide of image theft. I recall recently a Mobi-member found his own image submitted to a photograph site under someone else's name.

In a lesser but still annoying crime I found one of my images featured in Dubble's 'Awesome Dubbles' thread under two other people's names. (But then again I've found signed copies of well-known published photographers' work on Dubble, it seems to be a free-for-all there)...

I've heard DeviantArt is a hotbed of theft/infringement of copyright.

TinEye is free for non-commercial use: you can plug an image in to a search engine on the home page, and it will trawl 84.6 billion (and counting) images looking for a match. In about ten seconds. smh :rolleyes: :confused: :)

What's the received wisdom on protecting your images/copyright? I know watermarks aren't considered useful in that regard (maybe they protect from honest thieves). Is it a matter of 'you want to post your images online, you accept the risks of theft'? Something else?

Wow...that would be cool to test that app out. [emoji106]

I've sort of come to grips that if anyone wants to steal an image that's been uploaded anywhere online, there's not much we can do to prevent it. Unless we're able to catch the thief, we don't even know it's happening.

Maybe one way could be to ONLY upload images to Flickr, then ONLY share them to other sites via Flickr. I'm certainly not that organized/consistent.

Wow...that would be cool to test that app out. [emoji106]

I've sort of come to grips that if anyone wants to steal an image that's been uploaded anywhere online, there's not much we can do to prevent it. Unless we're able to catch the thief, we don't even know it's happening.

Maybe one way could be to ONLY upload images to Flickr, then ONLY share them to other sites via Flickr. I'm certainly not that organized/consistent.

What does Flickr do that protects copyright?

What does Flickr do that protects copyright?
You can set it so that no one can download hi-res versions except for you... I think there's also an option to put a watermark on the images when someone clicks on it (not sure about this)... You could also make everything private so only you see the images, but I'm not sure if you could share to other social media that way?

But this is just for "stealing" images. To truly protect/copyright images? Unfortunately probably need to print them all and sign them and then take them out of anything on the web...

Just saw this... seems everyone has this same issue.

http://www.diyphotography.net/bing-...-copyright-infringement-improve-image-search/

BING TAKES SMALL STEP TO PROTECT PHOTOGRAPHERS FROM COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT; IMPROVE IMAGE SEARCH

April 11, 2015 · Tiffany Mueller

It appears internet search engine Bing and Getty Images have come a long way since Getty filed a lawsuit against Bing last year, accusing Bing of a “massive infringement”. Now, seven months later, the two have announced a partnership which both companies hope will provide Bing users with “image rich” content and internet browsing. In a press release relating to the partnership, Getty Images Senior VP of Business Development Craig Peters explained:

“With our new partnership, Microsoft will use Getty Images’ latest API innovations and our award-winning visual content to take search experiences to a new level. Our technology teams will work together to create beautiful, engaging applications and services for Microsoft users with licensed content and attribution for photographers and other content creators.”

Stemming from the partnership, Bing has also announced several improvements in the search engine’s image search capabilities. These improvements are aimed at raising awareness to copyright and Creative Common laws, with the hopes they will reduce infringement cases.

While many of the improvements announced in Bing’s latest press release revolve around purchasing products, they are also slowly adding in some reverse image search capabilities, making it easy for users to quickly identify where a specific image has been used on the web. You can test drive the improved feature, here. It’s certainly not new technology, but having it built into the search engine may be a nice feature to have.

As for helping with copyright, Bing will still provide the source page and image metadata with each image search. They also suggest the update will make it easier for users to learn more information about an image, in case they may want to “buy a poster of the scenery.”

“Even before you scroll down, in the middle of the bottom bar, you’ll now see the most relevant description of the image that we can find on the web to help you learn more about it.”

The wording is somewhat vague, which leads one to believe (perhaps) more could have been done, but baby steps are still steps. It will be interesting to see what else Bing and Getty have to offer as this latest update is expected to roll out over the next coming weeks.

Glad some services/sites starts to take this seriously. It's an infected issue and worth discussing into oblivion.

I sure have tons of opinions but will save them for later, just saying that I will follow this thread.

And, btw, Instagram's one of the most unprotected sites out there. I once closed down my first account, got the idea to save every pic I've uploaded, found a free online service for doing just that - save all pics as a zip file. All good and well, but I saw another option that gave me the creeps: save every photo I've liked, 1-500 (at a time)...

Btw 2, this very, lovely, site itself isn't protected either. On my iPad I can save every pic I'm viewing. o_O

So, as much as we all love to show our best stuff and get feedback, maybe the best option is: don't put your best stuff online (other than watermarked miniatures no one can hardly see at all), because even the insanely overpriced, snobbish Photoshelter have had massive leaks, and maybe still do (yes, on torrent sites you can find big .rar files with more than 1k stolen pics).

:angry:

Last edited:
Glad some services/sites starts to take this seriously. It's an infected issue and worth discussing into oblivion.

I sure have tons of opinions but will save them for later, just saying that I will follow this thread.

And, btw, Instagram's one of the most unprotected sites out there. I once closed down my first account, got the idea to save every pic I've uploaded, found a free online service for doing just that - save all pics as a zip file. All good and well, but I saw another option that gave me the creeps: save every photo I've liked, 1-500 (at a time)...

Btw 2, this very, lovely, site itself isn't protected either. On my iPad I can save every pic I'm viewing. o_O

So, as much as we all love to show our best stuff and get feedback, maybe the best option is: don't put your best stuff online (other than watermarked miniatures no one can hardly see at all), because even the insanely overpriced, snobbish Photoshelter have had massive leaks, and maybe still do (yes, on torrent sites you can find big .rar files with more than 1k stolen pics).

:angry:
Yeah, I left IG too, and that was one reason, but mostly because it's just too "manic" for me and gave me a big fat headache. :barf: I used to be on Photoshelter too but gave that up several years ago....

I've pretty much "released to the Universe" any angst I had about people stealing my images. I don't see how it can be 100% foolproof, so it's something I don't really even think about any more. If my images were how I made my living, then that would be a whole different story and most likely I wouldn't be uploading them on any social sites. But I really enjoy sharing and contributing to the community, so if someone *steals* one of my images, I am choosing to be flattered and thankful I could provide them something to enjoy.

Yeah, I left IG too, and that was one reason, but mostly because it's just too "manic" for me and gave me a big fat headache. :barf: I used to be on Photoshelter too but gave that up several years ago....

I've pretty much "released to the Universe" any angst I had about people stealing my images. I don't see how it can be 100% foolproof, so it's something I don't really even think about any more. If my images were how I made my living, then that would be a whole different story and most likely I wouldn't be uploading them on any social sites. But I really enjoy sharing and contributing to the community, so if someone *steals* one of my images, I am choosing to be flattered and thankful I could provide them something to enjoy.

Well, that's the Zen/Mindfulness way of dealing with it, I guess ;)

I'm far from there yet :p

I hadn't thought of the 'flattered & glad I could provide them with something they could enjoy' bit - I'll take that on board, Catherine, thank you, Grasshopper :)

I have however got around to 'if people take/use my work without my permission then it's their problem'.

It helps that I'm not a professional - in fact I think being an amateur and 'here to learn' makes the more zen (as Christer outs it :)) attitude much easier. Plus my philosophical views that 'there is nothing new under the sun' and that all art is derivative to an extent.

Don't get me wrong, I was seriously pissed when I saw my image in Dubble's 'Awesome Dubbles' thread under two other people's names! And that would be half my image - and it was Dubble, not the Guggenheim. And it wasn't a particularly original half of an image, either, just a particularly simple bit of background and colour that I was rather happy with. A moment of inflamed ego, really.

I hadn't thought of the 'flattered & glad I could provide them with something they could enjoy' bit - I'll take that on board, Catherine, thank you, Grasshopper
LOL!!! I was just now totally trying to figure out a funny joke to say to Christer PicsbyJCG using "Grasshopper" and then you posted it!! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I was seriously pissed when I saw my image in Dubble's 'Awesome Dubbles' thread under two other people's names! And that would be half my image - and it was Dubble, not the Guggenheim. And it wasn't a particularly original half of an image, either, just a particularly simple bit of background and colour that I was rather happy with. A moment of inflamed ego, really.
Well, all my Zen stuff being said, if I actually discovered someone trying to pass off one of my images as their own, I would most definitely have something to say to them, and ask them to remove it or give the image correct artist credit. :thumbs:

I'm not THAT zen... yet.... :sneaky: ;)

Actually, what's even scarier and more annoying on IG is all those mindless drones that "shares" other ppl's pics. Sure, they tag the owner's name, but THEY get the credit, all the likes etc. I started to follow an account with, seemingly, good pics. But later discovered that this sad excuse for human life ONLY shares others pics, nothing else. I've also seen that on EyeEm, but not as much as on IG.

LOL!!! I was just now totally trying to figure out a funny joke to say to Christer PicsbyJCG using "Grasshopper" and then you posted it!! :lol:

Well, all my Zen stuff being said, if I actually discovered someone trying to pass off one of my images as their own, I would most definitely have something to say to them, and ask them to remove it or give the image correct artist credit. :thumbs:

I'm not THAT zen... yet.... :sneaky: ;)

I think we can all be grateful for that, Catherine!

Back
Top Bottom