Untitled (024)

Kegrow

MobiFan
Real Name
Ken Rowe
IMG_6391_untitled 024.JPG

Untitled (024)
iPhone 4s/iPad 4
Camera+, Snapseed, Glaze, PS Touch, Superimpose, Aquarella, Filterstorm, Procreate.

I'm rather fond of this one. It was originally an image capture of a watercolour painting. I ran it through Glaze which created some nice effects on the 'continents' within the painting. I couldn't make it work though, and, wanting to try something different, I used PS Touch to selected each continent and save each individual one as a single image. I created a brush of each image in Procreate, ahhh, love this app. Now I can put them into artworks in any size, any colour, and any opacity, in any type of composition I desired. I created a base/texture layer in Aquarella for the watercolour paper effect, and just started adding the forms. Again I couldn't make the picture work, the trouble being, I think, was that the type of painting style of the continents, was so different from anything I could do in Procreate, that the original forms and the new procreate forms were fighting each other.:eek: I am sure that there is a way around this, but being such an inexperienced user of Procreate I wasn't sure how. I was going to dump the image and decided to try one last thing. I liked the composition so decided to go with that and just paint over the major forms with a large brush and using intuitive colour. I allowed some of the original forms to peak through in places, and now I could pretty much go berserk with all the Procreate brushes. With this kind of composition there is always a conflict between negative/open space and mark-making. Again it is a very intuitive process for me. When selecting the colours, although it is largely an intuitive process, I do 'grey' them down from their full strength. For instance the primary 'red' in the painting would become an Indian Red (earth colour), the orange would become a Burnt Orange and so on, once the chroma and tone had been adjusted.
Nothing jumps out to me in terms of what the picture 'means', it was just an exercise in mark-making really.:)

I love it too! Great colors and composition. Really beautiful background "paper" also. :thumbs:

I still have yet to figure out how to create a brush in ProCreate. I know it's such a powerful tool and I need to figure it out.

What is "intuitive color"? Is that a setting in ProCreate, or your own inner intuition.

Your abstracts are fantastic; even those that are "just an exercise"!! :) :)

I love it too! Great colors and composition. Really beautiful background "paper" also. :thumbs:

I still have yet to figure out how to create a brush in ProCreate. I know it's such a powerful tool and I need to figure it out.

What is "intuitive color"? Is that a setting in ProCreate, or your own inner intuition.

Thanks Catherine. Basically it is my own inner intuition. I have been painting this way for many years, mostly doing 'hybrid abstraction' (a mixture of realism and abstract forms). If I try and "out-think" the painting, or attempt to intellectualise the process, I inevitably fail. The whole intuitive thing is a process of communication between the work and myself, where the work is communicating where it wants something added or subtracted. To the uninitiated it probably sounds like I am tripping out, and there is definitely something 'magical' about the whole process. Toward the end of the painting process, one has to step back and view the work in a more objective manner to finish it off. Sometimes a painting will happen in one go, very quickly, and these are usually the best, and at other times a work may take weeks or months to finish.:)

Thanks Catherine. Basically it is my own inner intuition. I have been painting this way for many years, mostly doing 'hybrid abstraction' (a mixture of realism and abstract forms). If I try and "out-think" the painting, or attempt to intellectualise the process, I inevitably fail. The whole intuitive thing is a process of communication between the work and myself, where the work is communicating where it wants something added or subtracted. To the uninitiated it probably sounds like I am tripping out, and there is definitely something 'magical' about the whole process. Toward the end of the painting process, one has to step back and view the work in a more objective manner to finish it off. Sometimes a painting will happen in one go, very quickly, and these are usually the best, and at other times a work may take weeks or months to finish.:)
It doesn't sound like you're tripping out. In fact, it makes total sense. My images almost always speak to me which is how I know I've captured the best shot possible and how I come up with the titles. You are right, however, the uninitiated would think we're crazy!

It doesn't sound like you're tripping out. In fact, it makes total sense. My images almost always speak to me which is how I know I've captured the best shot possible and how I come up with the titles. You are right, however, the uninitiated would think we're crazy!
Yes - a perfect example Lisa :)

Back
Top Bottom