What's the number

Veevs

MobiLurver
Oggl, Snapseed, BlurFX, PhotoCopier, Scratchcam
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376065538.682980.jpg

To me this image seems both stark and vibrant/colourful at the same time. I love how skilfully & subtly you have foregrounded the man and let his/the environment fade back without losing detail. And I like the juxtaposition of the bigger softer patches of colour and texture (? the blur fx?) and the much lighter touch with the scratch elements!

General newbie question: in 'people' shoots, how/when do you establish your subjects' consent to be photographed? And/or for resulting images to be published? And what's the etiquette if you enter an image in a comp?

General newbie question: in 'people' shoots, how/when do you establish your subjects' consent to be photographed? And/or for resulting images to be published? And what's the etiquette if you enter an image in a comp?
@zenjenny - Hi Jen, crikey that's a leading question already... :sneaky:

So, I will try and answer it in two ways, from the legal position and the 'being sensible' angle, and from a UK perspective.

Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer and different countries have different rules... ;)

Firstly - if you are in a public place then, legally, anything and everything can be your subject, animal, vegetable or mineral, including people!

If you are in a private place, especially buildings, shopping malls and the like, you need to be aware that photography can be a sensitive topic. Generally, if you are an amateur and shooting for your own purposes, especially with an iphone or small, non-professional, camera, there should not be too many problems. However, if anyone, particularly security, owners, managers and the like request that you desist it is probably best to comply and not challenge their authority, unless of course you have the owners permission to take photographs.

Secondly - 'being sensible', particularly with people, is not so easy and can be fraught with potholes and barbed wire fences to the foolhardy! As I have suggested, if they are in a public place then people are fair game as subjects for any photographer, at least in the literal legal sense.

However, the best bet is to be reasonable and approach photographing people sensibly at all times and be sensitive to your subject. Rarely, if ever, in a public place, do you need consent to take a persons photograph. In fact, asking permission would take away the natural look of many street photography images. That said, not everyone likes having a camera pointed at them, least of all shoved in their face. But, as in Vivi's iMages generally, if you are far enough away and your subject is oblivious to your purpose, you are at liberty to point and shoot... ;)

There are areas to be wary very of though - it's probably best to avoid openly taking photographs of children, unless you know them and or have parental consent. And if you photograph street artists and performers, it is generally accepted that you offer a small consideration to their 'hat' afterwards... :D

There is a more detailed run through of these points and more > HERE

All I would advise is, taking account of my comments and common sense - if in doubt, don't!... :rog:

Back
Top Bottom