WWDC - Interesting new features in iOS 8

Darren@RI

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Developer
Real Name
Darren
Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 3.46.09 PM.png

That's going to change things quite a lot ... potentially.

Lots more interesting stuff announced too, although I can't say it filled me with as much enthusiasm as previous 'Events'... :rog:

How's about everyone else?... :D

iCloud Photo Library with full res sync and 200 GB space for $3.99 a month sound good to me.

Lots more interesting stuff announced too, although I can't say it filled me with as much enthusiasm as previous 'Events'... :rog:

Agree... I wasn't "Wowed". Hopefully the photo album features will be worth the download time.

There is a lot of good stuff for developers ... which will ultimately turn into lots of stuff for you lot ... the mere mortals :)

But one "hidden" thing that is really great IMO ... they didn't make it WORSE. Like some other big companies ... ;)

I get the feeling that a lot of the big changes are going on 'under the hood'. From what I've read developers are very excited about the new APIs and what can be done with them. As end users we probably won't see the fruits of their labours until later in the year when I think a lot of photo apps will be changing.

There is a lot of good stuff for developers ... which will ultimately turn into lots of stuff for you lot ... the mere mortals :)

But one "hidden" thing that is really great IMO ... they didn't make it WORSE. Like some other big companies ... ;)
Hey Darren, any idea about TIFF support? Will TIFF files remain TIFF, or will it be converted to JPG?

Also, will there be visible file names that are editable?

They're charging?? UGH. I pay for DropBox so I don't know if I'll add this feature...

Comparing it to something like Picturelife, admittedly more storage 300 GB, for $15, which I was considering, it was looking a reasonable option.

Is this separate to iCloud file storage? I don't fancy paying for two lots of iCloud.

I think it all counts against the same pool of storage, as well as this iCloud drive, device backups etc.

It sounds like a big step up in so many ways. Happy to have full manual control. With 645 and Pureshot especially, those apps were made to go manual and I'm excited to play come fall.

My only wish is that they'd figure out how to increase megapixels or the size of the sensor (or some combo) without significantly increasing the size/weight of the phone. 8 mp is, unfortunately, just not very exciting anymore. I don't know how long they can shoot around this fact. I'm disappointed apple has decided to toe this hardware line.

What do you find unexciting about 8 MP? How big do you need to print?

Also, there were no hardware announcements at all—this is all about software. We have no idea what the sensor capabilities of the next devices will be...

What do you find unexciting about 8 MP? How big do you need to print?

Also, there were no hardware announcements at all—this is all about software. We have no idea what the sensor capabilities of the next devices will be...

The difference in image quality between an iPhone and even the most common 2o14 compact from Fuji, Sony, etc is nothing less than profound unless one is paying for premium printing to upgrade their iPhone images on a consistent basis. I've done and am doing extensive research on this. I've threaded some of my findings here. Your images consistently perform best with printing, by the way. Hats off.

My understanding is that there will not be an upgrade of the sensor or mps. Apple is unwilling, because of hardware issues and rigid design philosophy about size and weight, to modify it's 8mp camera it introduced with the 4 years ago. Thus, no matter the approach, the image quality is undoubtedly falling behind others (well documented.). It's not about size of printing, it's about quality of camera, versatility, professionalism, etc. It's also about the most important detail: cost.

If I'm wrong about non hardware upgrade I'll stand respectfully corrected, but I'm also willing to bet that Im right with the info I currently have.

Last edited:
My understanding is that there will not be an upgrade of the sensor or mps. Apple is unwilling, because of hardware issues and rigid design philosophy, to modify it's 8mp camera it introduced with the 4.

If I'm wrong I'll stand corrected, but I'm also willing to bet that Im right with the info I currently have.
The 8 MP camera was introduced with the 4s (the 4 had a 5 MP Camera). The sensor was upgraded substantially for the 5s—it's still 8 MP but the light wells are larger, allowing for greater quality. We have no idea what the next iDevices will bring, because Apple is pretty good at keeping its cards close to its chest (who expected Swift?). And the rumour mill is nearly always mostly wrong, especially three months or so before the (expected) launch...

The 8 MP camera was introduced with the 4s (the 4 had a 5 MP Camera). The sensor was upgraded substantially for the 5s—it's still 8 MP but the light wells are larger, allowing for greater quality. We have no idea what the next iDevices will bring, because Apple is pretty good at keeping its cards close to its chest (who expected Swift?). And the rumour mill is nearly always mostly wrong, especially three months or so before the (expected) launch...

Okay, 4s instead of 4, larger light wells, etc. but basically same sensor and i (and many others) simply don't agree with you about quality. They're falling behind and approaching the problem in an indirect manor...

Most importantly, If you got some other info then spill it. :)

larger light wells, etc. but basically same sensor.
Nope, sorry. Totally different sensor, same number of light wells. And the low-light performance is substantially better than on the earlier devices (which is a major quality gain, in my eyes).

And no, nobody has any hard info—the stuff that's on the fanboy sites is mostly make-believe presented as "rumour". ;-)

Me, I'd love the next iPhone camera to have a larger sensor, and, although I can live with 8 MP, I expect a jump t 12 MP or so. I'd really like it to have better optics (although I doubt I'll get the optical zoom or the variable aperture that I want), and a focal-plane shutter for stills. I might well get some of that—the massive improvements to the APIs as described by Apple at WWDC suggest that he company is, for the first time, taking serious mobile photography seriously, and I expect to see that reflected in the next batch of hardware announcements—I just don't know how!

I'm probably in the minority here, but....

I love how my images look with my 5S! :inlove: I'm also definitely not a "techie" person, so maybe that's why I don't really get the hoopla about bigger MP etc. (I could insert a pun here, but I won't. :sneaky: :whistle: ) Unless one needs to look at an image with a magnifying glass? Or blow it up to put on the side of a building? In 2012 I saw very large images (20" or 30" at least) printed from 3S iPhones and they were incredibly beautiful.

:coffee:

I'm probably in the minority here, but....

I love how my images look with my 5S! :inlove: I'm also definitely not a "techie" person, so maybe that's why I don't really get the hoopla about bigger MP etc. (I could insert a pun here, but I won't. :sneaky: :whistle: ) Unless one needs to look at an image with a magnifying glass? Or blow it up to put on the side of a building? In 2012 I saw very large images (20" or 30" at least) printed from 3S iPhones and they were incredibly beautiful.

:coffee:

Actually I think you may be in the majority. :). But it is very obvious to me, and say, my fiancé, who is not a photographer, the difference between printed iPhone shots vs a small sony, Fuji, Nikon, etc...the depth, the textures, the clarity of the photo...also the ability to stop up and stop down in so many ways in post is just undeniably greater with a larger sensor or more mps. I see a tremendous difference in quality just on my ipad screen. And you're paying top dollar so why not have the best?

I hope mike is right, and we get some new/advanced hardware specs. I would love for my pro grade camera to be my iPhone with 645pro. That's the dream. "One app to rule them all."

Btw, mike, have been away but am going to email you.

Best, L

Nope, sorry. Totally different sensor, same number of light wells. And the low-light performance is substantially better than on the earlier devices (which is a major quality gain, in my eyes).

And no, nobody has any hard info—the stuff that's on the fanboy sites is mostly make-believe presented as "rumour". ;-)

Me, I'd love the next iPhone camera to have a larger sensor, and, although I can live with 8 MP, I expect a jump t 12 MP or so. I'd really like it to have better optics (although I doubt I'll get the optical zoom or the variable aperture that I want), and a focal-plane shutter for stills. I might well get some of that—the massive improvements to the APIs as described by Apple at WWDC suggest that he company is, for the first time, taking serious mobile photography seriously, and I expect to see that reflected in the next batch of hardware announcements—I just don't know how!

Out of curiousity, your expert opinion: How do you grade out the Nokia lumia vs iPhone 5s for image quality, depth, texture right now?

Back
Top Bottom