Double Exposure Experimentation

ShawnShootsPhotos

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Shawn
I recently discovered the Diana Photo App, which is a unique double exposure blending tool, and came up with some decent results. Feedback is always appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I have been using it for a while and like it. lookingGlass79 Brandy also uses the app.
I posted a review of it back when I found it.
Nice set of images.
Have you tried the same developers other app Pics Shaker Pro? Along similar lines but it is always random and you have a 7 second window to decide if you want to keep the image.
Another that Brandy and myself use and like is Dubble. It's a bit different in that it is done online with an image of yours and someone else's image blended together.

Awesome Diana photos. Like Lzed Larry said he and I both get a lot of use and enjoyment out of this app. And also out of Dubble which I'd recommend you check out, especially if you like double exposure photography. Here's a sampling of just a few of my recent favorite Dubbles:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

All created within the Dubble app.

Some of mine from Dubble

I was playing around with an app that I had seen some time ago but never bought until a few months ago in a moment of weakness :). App is Pop Camera and the tree looked good with one of the apps filters.
image.jpg

Last fall we drove our Motorhome out to British Columbia. We were visiting some good friends that live just outside a little town called Keremeos. This is a bridge I took a lot of pictures of. It started life as a railway bridge but in the 60’s was converted to a driving bridge. It's claim to fame is that it one of a handful of covered bridges. Now when I first heard about it I though it would be a covered bridge like in the US with a roof. In this case no the only thing covered is the actual steel structure. Still it's unique and something different.
image.jpg

Last summer we spent some time up at the family farm (about 3 hrs north of where we live), this is an old combine that was sitting there.
image.jpg

Another with the picture of the covered bridge.
image.jpg

The one neat thing with Dubble is that once you upload an image and go back to the app you find new combinations that you had not seen before. You can redouble the same image again and if you dislike a combination you could delete it if you want.

Some of mine from Dubble

I was playing around with an app that I had seen some time ago but never bought until a few months ago in a moment of weakness :). App is Pop Camera and the tree looked good with one of the apps filters.
View attachment 53528

Last fall we drove our Motorhome out to British Columbia. We were visiting some good friends that live just outside a little town called Keremeos. This is a bridge I took a lot of pictures of. It started life as a railway bridge but in the 60’s was converted to a driving bridge. It's claim to fame is that it one of a handful of covered bridges. Now when I first heard about it I though it would be a covered bridge like in the US with a roof. In this case no the only thing covered is the actual steel structure. Still it's unique and something different.
View attachment 53529

Last summer we spent some time up at the family farm (about 3 hrs north of where we live), this is an old combine that was sitting there.
View attachment 53530

Another with the picture of the covered bridge.
View attachment 53531

The one neat thing with Dubble is that once you upload an image and go back to the app you find new combinations that you had not seen before. You can redouble the same image again and if you dislike a combination you could delete it if you want.

Beautiful work. I love being inspired like that. Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 53528

View attachment 53529
Always love your Dubbles, Larry! The bridge is so cool.

Now that I have had some time to work with Diana Photo myself I am even more impressed with your results. I will have to get rid of a bunch of stuff to make room for storing more images on my iPhone because I don't keep very many on my phone at a time so I don't have many to work with for source material. The first thing that preoccupied my attention was that I was positively fuming that I was forced to crop all my source images into squares before I could do anything in Diana Photo. I tend to compose tightly in the originals so I found I was unhappy being forced to cut off important parts of the pictures. Except for swapping left to right between source images and changing filters there isn't any control, such as masking, possible so the results depend a lot on finding the right combination of parts, if you happen to have them. It isn't possible, either, to scale images (within the app) to the proper size to fit with another image. I guess I'm just spoiled from working with Photoshop. I will post one to two of my own efforts from my phone. I am writing at the moment from my computer.

Now that I have had some time to work with Diana Photo myself I am even more impressed with your results. I will have to get rid of a bunch of stuff to make room for storing more images on my iPhone because I don't keep very many on my phone at a time so I don't have many to work with for source material. The first thing that preoccupied my attention was that I was positively fuming that I was forced to crop all my source images into squares before I could do anything in Diana Photo. I tend to compose tightly in the originals so I found I was unhappy being forced to cut off important parts of the pictures. Except for swapping left to right between source images and changing filters there isn't any control, such as masking, possible so the results depend a lot on finding the right combination of parts, if you happen to have them. It isn't possible, either, to scale images (within the app) to the proper size to fit with another image. I guess I'm just spoiled from working with Photoshop. I will post one to two of my own efforts from my phone. I am writing at the moment from my computer.
With Diana, PixShaker or Dubble is they are all geared for 1:1 ratio. Dubble will accept any image but you still only get 1:1 out of it and it will blend two different ratios so it may look strange. I like Dubble because it's online and all your mixed images are online unless you choose to save them.

Frustrations with the square limitations made me explore other double exposure apps. In the end I still liked Diana best. Diana has the masking filters others lack. It is quick and easy but with limitations. Here are some of my attempts.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

With Diana, PixShaker or Dubble is they are all geared for 1:1 ratio. Dubble will accept any image but you still only get 1:1 out of it and it will blend two different ratios so it may look strange. I like Dubble because it's online and all your mixed images are online unless you choose to save them.
I didn't like Dubble because it is online.

Here's a tip I'll share for those interested in doing double exposures in an app....

What I do is collect as many royalty-free pics as I can that will blend well with my photos or make for a unique piece - trees, leaves, water splashes, glass fragments, etc. Then I just import them into my device, and use them to blend with my original photos.

Fundy: if you pinch OUT on a photo in Diana, you can stretch it and move it around some.

I didn't like Dubble because it is online.
Some are not comfortable about putting images online. Still I like it and since the beginning they have opened up the social side more.

Diana I use a lot also and like you sometimes I don't have the right image in 1:1. I have found myself back using Hipstamatic more which gives me a few more 1:1 to try. Still take far more in 4:3 or other ratios.

Back
Top Bottom