Help with photo sharing, Flickr, tumbler, Instagram, etc etc, eek. *can't decide*

docsimsim

MobiLurver
I need tips on how best to get my photos kind of out there, this is the only place I share my photos! Just realised some of my Dropbox pix are now saved onto my flickr account (set to private thankfully at the mo as there's lots of junk in there). I don't even know/remember how this actually happened, lol. So I need tips on how to organise my photos that I want to set to 'public'. Thank you lovely peeps. All comments welcome, I'm a total Luddite on this issue

I come here mostly (great support from a great community) and have recently started using EyeEm.com and just today started uploading to foap (app for devices to sell photos). I don't really have a home base where all my photos are stored, but when I do decide to do that, I'll probably go with Flickr.

Just had a look at EyeEm.com. You don't have to sign through fb do you? The problem with these sites (including Flickr) is that one's photo is like a drop in the ocean, it sort of gets lost and overlooked as there are so many others, specially 'proper' DSLR images which are a totally different kettle of fish to iphoneography. Is there a point in joining?

Besides MobiTog... I have finally settled into Flickr... rarely look at Instagram or any of the others anymore.
Flickr allows me to auto-sync with my iOS device (wish they would change their Android app to do the same)... it's an option in the iOS Flickr App. I make sure my option is set to auto-sync as "Private", then I change items one at a time or in a batch after adding tags and adding to Sets and Groups, etc. on my computer. I have also changed my workflow so that now I post the link to my Flickr photo instead of uploading to various locations.

Besides MobiTog... I have finally settled into Flickr... rarely look at Instagram or any of the others anymore.
Flickr allows me to auto-sync with my iOS device (wish they would change their Android app to do the same)... it's an option in the iOS Flickr App. I make sure my option is set to auto-sync as "Private", then I change items one at a time or in a batch after adding tags and adding to Sets and Groups, etc. on my computer. I have also changed my workflow so that now I post the link to my Flickr photo instead of uploading to various locations.
Tx dee, ooh sounds sooo complex (*crumbs*). My brain is already overheating and eyes glazing over :). . I can't follow most of the Flickr terminology you've used here. All I know is that somehow some of my Dropbox pix (about half only, in random I think) have ended up on my Flickr account (set to private of course), but I want to put some hand picked photos into groups. How does one do that? Eek. It would take me months to figure it out lol. Also can you swop pix around from one 'set' to another? I don't even know how to start to set up my pix in to 'groups' (is that same as streams)? I'm hopeless.

Last edited:
Just had a look at EyeEm.com. You don't have to sign through fb do you? The problem with these sites (including Flickr) is that one's photo is like a drop in the ocean, it sort of gets lost and overlooked as there are so many others, specially 'proper' DSLR images which are a totally different kettle of fish to iphoneography. Is there a point in joining?
Good question. With EyeEm, I joined because of the ability to enter the marketplace, of which you have to be "invited" and wait for an opening. Mine hasn't come yet and don't know if it ever will. There's not too much information in regards to when I can start selling my photos from them. Foap on the other hand is basically an upload to sell type of thing. I've just joined and have only uploaded 3 photos so far, but you have to rate others (rate 5) before your photos is posted to the community. When done, others rate your photo. It has to be about 2.8 or something to be able to sell. Photos sell for $10 and you receive $5 to your paypal if one sells. They can sell unlimited amount of times. I think the trick here is to tag your photos with what people are interested in buying for their businesses and such. Might never sell anything, but it's worth a try.

Tx CurMichFar. Re Foap, that actually sounds brill, I like the concept of 'rating' to be 'rated', that sounds great fun in itself. Is it a US based site though? I'm in UK. I'm guessing it's international?

Tx CurMichFar. Re Foap, that actually sounds brill, I like the concept of 'rating' to be 'rated', that sounds great fun in itself. Is it a US based site though? I'm in UK. I'm guessing it's international?
To be honest, I'm not really sure. I've been trying to verify my identity with my driver's license, but it keeps having a problem. Have to be able to verify identity to enter the "missions" or contests in other words. The rating is good and you can comment and follow. I think you can even see what each person has rated your photo. I'm an honest rater, not like many other out there that are just hitting 3 to get through the rating process during photo upload. If I think it's a bad shot and not something that will sell due to quality, I'll rate low, but if I love it, it's a 4 or 5.
I might have to try my passport as verification when I get home from work since the driver's isn't working. Actually come to think of it, I think I did see somewhere that it's worldwide.

I've just installed it and it seems easy to sign up, so far. Do you use the same username you have here or different names on different sites?

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I've been trying to verify my identity with my driver's license, but it keeps having a problem. Have to be able to verify identity to enter the "missions" or contests in other words. The rating is good and you can comment and follow. I think you can even see what each person has rated your photo. I'm an honest rater, not like many other out there that are just hitting 3 to get through the rating process during photo upload. If I think it's a bad shot and not something that will sell due to quality, I'll rate low, but if I love it, it's a 4 or 5.
I might have to try my passport as verification when I get home from work since the driver's isn't working. Actually come to think of it, I think I did see somewhere that it's worldwide.
I've just joined, same username. See you over there maybe? :)

I post my images here and on Flickr and Facebook. There are lots of things that annoy me about FB but there are lots of places to post images which I really like. I use Flickr mainly to store all my image; both work flow and final images.

I had the same question Simin. I was offered the advice of several pro mobile photographers to join multiple groups to get the work you create "out there". I am currently on MobiTog, FB, Foap, several FB groups, Instagram, Flickr, Smugmug, and ETSY. I have created my about.me page with links to my images. It is a toss-up for me as to what I enjoy more- posting images or exploring various images from very talented individual artists worldwide! :)

I post my images here and on Flickr and Facebook. There are lots of things that annoy me about FB but there are lots of places to post images which I really like. I use Flickr mainly to store all my image; both work flow and final images.
Thanks Lisa. By FB you mean a special fb account for photos only? I have a private fb account, just for friends and networking for the fundraising projects I'm involved in. Yes I think Flickr is good for storing, is it possible to save back from Flickr onto phone/iPad camera roll?

I had the same question Simin. I was offered the advice of several pro mobile photographers to join multiple groups to get the work you create "out there". I am currently on MobiTog, FB, Foap, several FB groups, Instagram, Flickr, Smugmug, and ETSY. I have created my about.me page with links to my images. It is a toss-up for me as to what I enjoy more- posting images or exploring various images from very talented individual artists worldwide! :)
Tx Ron. sounds great, you've got things covered from many angles. Btw on flicker and Instagram how do you find other iphoneographers? It's mainly DSLR, no? Which fb groups are you on, if you don't mind me asking? Apart from Mobitog my photos don't see the light of day anywhere else, mainly coz I never seem to have the time/energy to set thing up (apart from my beloved Mobitog of course).

I share images on Flickr, it's definitely not just for DSLR users, you have to find the right groups to post to but then it's really easy to include various groups as you upload photos. I use the flickr app which makes uploading easy. Flickr groups I post to include hip to be square, hipstamatic, hipstamatic club, squareformat, black and white, photos taken with an apple iphone and others.

Last edited:
I share all my favorites on flickr. It easily syncs with my Aperture projects so it's effortless for me. Plus you get 1 terabyte of storage so that's pretty awesome. I also share a lot on Instagram and have just begun to use EyeEm.

I share images on Flickr, it's definitely not just for DSLR users, you have to find the right groups to post to but then it's really easy to include various groups as you upload photos. I use the flickr app which makes uploading easy. Flickr groups I post to include hip to be square, hipstamatic, hipstamatic club, squareformat, black and white, photos taken with an apple iphone and others.
Tx Kentaro, will check those groups out. I have the Flickr app but not sure how to arrange pix in sets so all my pix are still set to 'private'. I need a 'fool proof' Flickr guide if anyone can offer?

I share all my favorites on flickr. It easily syncs with my Aperture projects so it's effortless for me. Plus you get 1 terabyte of storage so that's pretty awesome. I also share a lot on Instagram and have just begun to use EyeEm.
Silly question, but what's apperture? So many photo sharing apps, eek :)

It's a mac specific software that allows you to edit photos and it also allows you to manage your photo library. I use it only to manage my library since all my editing is done on my phone. It's basically a more advanced version on iPhoto if you've ever used that.

https://www.apple.com/aperture/
Tx. I don't use mac yet. I'm due to buy a new laptop so may go Apple, though i don't like their windows incompatibility :(

Thanks Lisa. By FB you mean a special fb account for photos only? I have a private fb account, just for friends and networking for the fundraising projects I'm involved in. Yes I think Flickr is good for storing, is it possible to save back from Flickr onto phone/iPad camera roll?
Yes, it is possible for saving back from Flickr. I do it all the time; which is one of the things I really like about it. The only thing to remember is that you need to adjust the resolution of the image once you save it back. With regard to FB, mine is a regular account and I just make sure the privacy settings are configured for friends only.

Yes, it is possible for saving back from Flickr. I do it all the time; which is one of the things I really like about it. The only thing to remember is that you need to adjust the resolution of the image once you save it back. With regard to FB, mine is a regular account and I just make sure the privacy settings are configured for friends only.
Oh, how do you mean adjust the resolution? I'm up and running now on Flickr app (not flickstacker app as couldn't upload my profile photo/icon on there). BTW I'm following you on Flickr app now Lisa :)

I saw that you were following me, Simin! Thank you so much!. I upload the images to Flick at a higher resolution then what I get when I save back. The only reasons I save them back are to have them printed or if I'm entering them into a competition; therefore I want to make sure they're in the highest resolution possible.

Back
Top Bottom