Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
NYPL Enhances Public Domain Collections For Sharing and Reuse
http://www.nypl.org/blog/2016/01/05/share-public-domain-collections

Over 180,000 digitized items, the article says. And I quote:

Materials include:

* Berenice Abbott's iconic documentation of 1930s New York for the Federal Art Project

* Farm Security Administration photographs by Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, Gordon Parks, and others

* Manuscripts of American literary masters like Walt Whitman, Henry David Thoreau, and Nathaniel Hawthorne

* Papers and correspondence of founding American political figures like Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison

* Sheet music for popular American songs at the turn of the 20th century

* WPA-era lithographs, etchings, and pastels by African American artists

* Lewis Hine's photographs of Ellis Island immigrants and social conditions in early 20th century America

* Anna Atkins' cyanotypes of British algae, the first recorded photographic work by a woman (1843)

* Handscrolls of the Tale of Genji, created in 1554

* Medieval and Renaissance illuminated manuscripts from Western Europe

* Over 20,000 maps and atlases documenting New York City, North America, and the world

* More than 40,000 stereoscopic views documenting all regions of the United States

Visit http://nypl.org/publicdomain for information about the materials related to the public domain update and links to all of the projects demonstrating creative reuse of public domain materials. Go forth, and reuse!

And the beat goes on.

What a fantastic resource - what a great idea.

Thanks for this & previous headsup, Ted!

... :) ... been working years in a library where I was in charge of allowing (or not) the sale of photos, microfilms etc ... of books to customers. That was before it all got digitized.

What thoughts on this massive change, then, Philippe? Was this leap into the public realm predictable for a while? Or did it surprise you?

What thoughts on this massive change, then, Philippe? Was this leap into the public realm predictable for a while? Or did it surprise you?

my thought always was that a state making money by selling copies of others' intellectual property was wrong. Now digitization didn't mean giving it for free either. That's not related, even if in the end that makes things easier. I left that library (French National Library in Paris) just before all the digital stuff, the scanning ... started.

Two things matter, digitalization or not:

- the respect by the institutions of what is NOT in the public realm and make sure that the copyright owners get paid.

- what's done is done ... and massively digitizing is bad for the collections ... my job at the time was to preserve the books condition, that was a priority. No idea what they've done and how they've done it after my departure.

Just for info I never worked at the "new" national library (the one with the 4 towers). I worked at the old one in the center of Paris, and left shortly before everything was moved to the new library.

that's where I worked

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1452961716.562729.jpg

adding that honestly I have no idea about the mechanisms that made possible to transfer so much content into the public realm ...

if that was predictable ? not really, until Google started to put libraries under pressure, somehow.

I read about that and thought there must be a lot of cool stuff to incorporate into photo edits.

Back
Top Bottom