MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
So, I noticed the little red #1 on my Settings app, and saw there was an update - 8.4.1.

So I updated.
Big mistake.

Now the battery on my 5S is draining like crazy!! [emoji35][emoji100] It will be sitting, doing nothing at all for hours, and I open it up and it's at 20%.

I've got everything toggled off that should be to save battery life.... never leave apps running in the background... nothing has changed except for this update.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I see more drain on my iPhone 5s but don't notice it on my wifi-only iPad. Maybe it's the cellular part that's wonky?

"This evening I looked up in settings > music and saw the "show apple music" button. Since turning it off and restarting i've charged the phone completely and the battery life seems to be back, and the phone isn't heating up anymore"

Hope that helps :)

"This evening I looked up in settings > music and saw the "show apple music" button. Since turning it off and restarting i've charged the phone completely and the battery life seems to be back, and the phone isn't heating up anymore"

THANKS!!!! [emoji1][emoji120][emoji106] I'll try it!

I have not noticed battery drain but I did double check the Show Apple Music button. While mine was toggled off, it still is a good reminder to check. Thanks!

did you check battery history to see which app could be responsible ? Did you deactivate background app refresh for apps that don't really need it? ...

... hard to help as from what I read for a while the 5s seems particularly affected with battery issues on iOS 8 in general. Apple Music when not in use doesn't use anything here.
What generally happens, because it does actually always happen to many people following an iOS upgrade is that some apps that should have been updated haven't been. They're not optimized for the new version of the OS, they eat too much memory ...battery drain follows. Check third party apps.

Did you deactivate background app refresh for apps that don't really need it? ...
Yep...

did you check battery history to see which app could be responsible ?
Yes, and my Photos app is showing 20% at the moment (was 31% yesterday), Home & Lock Screen is another 16%, and Phone (low signal) is at 15%. Not sure how to minimize the battery usage on these apps?

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1439822890.097491.jpg

I don't know why this says "22 Photos to Upload".... yesterday it was stuck at 8. I don't have any new photos in my camera roll!

ah ... there's indeed nothing to do with built-in apps. In your case it seems that iCloud Photo Library is stuck and attempts to upload the same photos indefinitely ... I've had this issue too. Did you check that everything was synced already on your iPad?

Anyway if it's not a particular series of photos that failed to upload, that's gonna be another example of iCloud Photo Library mysterious glitches. Best thing to do is to deactivate it, reboot and activate it again. Just locally, exactly where it's located on the screenshot that you posted... and nowhere else.

Also two things: I see that you chose the "optimize storage" setting. While you're saving space, it also means that you're re-downloading your photos every time you see them. They're only cached very shortly. So, that uses more battery than having them fully downloaded once for all.

Another thing that uses battery on your system: you're using photo stream! ... together with iCloud Photo Library... meaning that each new photo will be uploaded twice. Unless you really need Photo Stream, you should turn it off. It's only useful for people running PCs because there's no app syncing with iCloud Photo Library in Windows.

Adding that with photo stream you might end up getting low res images. Photo Stream only streams in full res on computers, not iOS.

Last edited:
ah ... there's indeed nothing to do with built-in apps. In your case it seems that iCloud Photo Library is stuck and attempts to upload the same photos indefinitely ... I've had this issue too. Did you check that everything was synced already on your iPad?

Anyway if it's not a particular series of photos that failed to upload, that's gonna be another example of iCloud Photo Library mysterious glitches. Best thing to do is to deactivate it, reboot and activate it again. Just locally, exactly where it's located on the screenshot that you posted... and nowhere else.

Also two things: I see that you chose the "optimize storage" setting. While you're saving space, it also means that you're re-downloading your photos every time you see them. They're only cached very shortly. So, that uses more battery than having them fully downloaded once for all.

Another thing that uses battery on your system: you're using photo stream! ... together with iCloud Photo Library... meaning that each new photo will be uploaded twice. Unless you really need Photo Stream, you should turn it off. It's only useful for people running PCs because there's no app syncing with iCloud Photo Library in Windows.

Adding that with photo stream you might end up getting low res images. Photo Stream only streams in full res on computers, not iOS.
Oh, I didn't even realize that I had both iCloud and Photo Stream!! I turned off Photo Stream... :thumbs:

I also switched the setting from Optimize Photos to Download and Keep Originals.

And yeah, that iCloud glitch is probably what's making the battery screwy. I'll check my iPad too, just to see if that helps.

Thanks so much Phillippe!!!

Oh, I didn't even realize that I had both iCloud and Photo Stream!! I turned off Photo Stream... :thumbs:

I also switched the setting from Optimize Photos to Download and Keep Originals.

And yeah, that iCloud glitch is probably what's making the battery screwy. I'll check my iPad too, just to see if that helps.

Thanks so much Phillippe!!!

you're welcome ;)

you're welcome ;)
This may seem dumb, but I have a question: I turned off Photo Stream on my iPad, so now all the images that were in that folder are gone. So how do I see all the images that are in iCloud, on my iPad? (All my photos are in my Photos app on my iMac, and on my iPhone, just not the iPad) :confused:

I thought I'd be able to access all the images that are on my iPhone, also on my iPad. I could do that before, when Photo Stream was turned on, but not now.

See update below...

Last edited:
Maybe they just haven't loaded yet? But I think these 1,800+ images are ones that are on my iPad, and are getting put into iCloud.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1439852923.530016.jpg

UPDATE:
It just took a long time because there's almost 5,000 images uploading. My photo folder on my iPad now has all the images! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom