iPad 3 32GB is running real slow...need help please!

carlos

MobiLurver
Real Name
Carlos Austin
Device
Onsite
Project Page
Hi ya'll,

My iPad 3 32GB is doing weird things.
For starters when hooked up to my MAC, on the graphic representation of what's what...I have a very long "Other" bar.
The iPad is very sluggish and from time to time go blank and does it's own restart.
I have over 240 photo/video apps. No music. Some documents and pix. The pix I download using Adobe Lightroom. And I pretty much do that 3 times a week. I can take about 700 images before I fill up on space. I use Pureshot set a max res of 14MB tiff files.
I also have oggl which have a lot of photos in it's internal library that I have not figured out how to move to camera roll except one at a time. I did figure out to go to preferences and tell the app to put a pix on the camera roll later on...but I have enough files that I don't want to lose.
I spoke with an Apple guy at the store and he suggested I buy more cloud space and backup the iPad completely. Then reinstall everything. He told me if I use itunes..any contamination from bad app's would come right back to my iPad. Using the cloud filters out the bad stuff and put's a fresh copy back on.
I bought some more cloud storage and am backing up as I write this.
But...any suggestions to make sure I can restore my iPad back to good working condition and not compromise my app's would be much appreciated. Thank you. Carlos

Ha. Hmm.
My iPad3 32GB also on go-slow.
Recent flagging...
I'm on iOS7 but haven't upgraded to .2 yet...
Hmmm.

I have had my iPad 3 slow down or start having more crashes so when it gets sluggish I will back up everything and do a complete restore. Takes time when like me, you have 8-900 apps on it.

I did the last update and I copied all the pictures to Aperture then let it back up and update. I had a lot of issues this time with 7.1 it would get to the point where it says it is copying the apps but it seems to sit for a while then says it's cancelling the sync. I started this mess around noon and after the third time trying to restore and it being almost 11 pm I figured alright, I would do a restore back to factory. Then I started reloading apps from iTunes. I called it quits around 1am and once I got up the next morning started going and seeing what else I wanted back on it. The good thing is I have only a couple hundred apps back on it. I do find things are more stable and faster so you may have to think about doing that.

The bad thing was that I forgot to back up the app I use for all the little reviews so the three or four I had planned on posting are still not done. I am working on them from time to time so hopefully I'll get around to posting them soon.

I have had my iPad 3 slow down or start having more crashes so when it gets sluggish I will back up everything and do a complete restore. Takes time when like me, you have 8-900 apps on it.

I did the last update and I copied all the pictures to Aperture then let it back up and update. I had a lot of issues this time with 7.1 it would get to the point where it says it is copying the apps but it seems to sit for a while then says it's cancelling the sync. I started this mess around noon and after the third time trying to restore and it being almost 11 pm I figured alright, I would do a restore back to factory. Then I started reloading apps from iTunes. I called it quits around 1am and once I got up the next morning started going and seeing what else I wanted back on it. The good thing is I have only a couple hundred apps back on it. I do find things are more stable and faster so you may have to think about doing that.

The bad thing was that I forgot to back up the app I use for all the little reviews so the three or four I had planned on posting are still not done. I am working on them from time to time so hopefully I'll get around to posting them soon.

I guess it's a trip to the Genius bar at the Apple store and make sure I can get pointed in the right direction. I appreciate your feedback. My iPad cannot seem to finish uploading to the cloud and it has been almost a full day. Wish I could get a new iPad...but the bank says no.

This is interesting.
August 28th, 2015
While taking pictures with various cameras, my iPad Air2 did this. Had to quit the app to get it working again.
Anybody have any idea what this is?
Thx
Carlos
These are screen grabs.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1441539261.455618.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1441539281.736997.jpg

don't want to be too pessimistic but the glitches you're showing sound like a hardware failure. The fact that it happened with more than one specific app could confirm it.

And no I never had this with my air 2.

edit: short explanation ... the graphics glitches appear when you launch some apps because some components are overheating and they can't handle the process. Which in turn explains why things seem to come back to normal when you quit the apps. It happens in the same way on any computer... when something breaks, usually the graphics chips.

That's still a bit weird with the Air 2, because it's loaded with the fastest components Apple has ever used on a mobile device. Both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus lag far behind.

Last edited:
don't want to be too pessimistic but the glitches you're showing sound like a hardware failure. The fact that it happened with more than one specific app could confirm it.

And no I never had this with my air 2.

edit: short explanation ... the graphics glitches appear when you launch some apps because some components are overheating and they can't handle the process. Which in turn explains why things seem to come back to normal when you quit the apps. It happens in the same way on any computer... when something breaks, usually the graphics chips.

That's still a bit weird with the Air 2, because it's loaded with the fastest components Apple has ever used on a mobile device. Both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus lag far behind.
Thanks for your insight Philippe. I did go by the Apple store and showed the the screen grabs and agree with you. They have decided to provide me with a new ipad. WooHoo. Made my day. Just bought mine ipad on June 11th of this year. So...still covered.
as a side bar...I have had a ipad 3 for a number of years and never had this kind of issue.

Apple has to be offices here in Austin which they feed off the same grid that I do. What do you base your ideas? Do you have a link to something I can read?

it can't be an app or any software doing that to your iPad ... it's gotta be hardware related ... and since you're getting the same issue with a new unit, there must be something in common with the first unit... so either they both came from the same faulty batch, or you're doing something the hardware doesn't like ... can't see anything else but power supply ...

I noticed from one of your images that the temperature was going to be 100F. Could it have overheated? A thermometer pops up on screen when that happens; and changes the iPad into a portal akin to a Fringe episode... Something similar happened to me once. iPad Air 2. I got lines, but not covering the entire screen. I put the iPad on a giant stainless steel table and it cooled down quite quickly. It's been running perfectly ever since.

I noticed from one of your images that the temperature was going to be 100F. Could it have overheated? A thermometer pops up on screen when that happens; and changes the iPad into a portal akin to a Fringe episode... Something similar happened to me once. iPad Air 2. I got lines, but not covering the entire screen. I put the iPad on a giant stainless steel table and it cooled down quite quickly. It's been running perfectly ever since.
It's never got hot.

it can't be an app or any software doing that to your iPad ... it's gotta be hardware related ... and since you're getting the same issue with a new unit, there must be something in common with the first unit... so either they both came from the same faulty batch, or you're doing something the hardware doesn't like ... can't see anything else but power supply ...
I think it's pretty strange too. I will be gong back to the Apple Store to see what they have to offer. I even have video from the native camera doing this weird pattern of lines.
I am also have 384 apps and 71GB OF free space.

Back
Top Bottom