Love all the great info here...

The 645pro MKIII looks a bit daunting. At the moment I seem to be taking a lot of quick street shots and am looking for any easy quick app for this. Nature and animals is my preference but as I am in a built up area of Hong Kong, I thought I would make use of this and practise people and street stuff.

At the moment I find Superimpose has the easiest selection tools on the iPad. It does have a magic wand with a threshold which is pretty good but I sometimes have to clean up with the brush. The brush has a magnifier which takes time to get used to (because it hops around if it is near the edge of the picture) but helps make the cleanup process which more accurate. Going in close is the secret. It also has a magic colour mask picker which works fantastically for skies because it will remove it inbetween branches for example. The cool thing about it is that you can save the masked picture within the app and use it any time with other pictures as backgrounds and because it keeps the whole pic you can unmask areas that you had previous masked. I have created my own vignettes and can change the opacity or the blend modes with the underlying pic. Even better, the last update enables you to export the masked picture as a png so you can essentially just save an object.
Pureshot is basically a pared down 645 Pro III, minus some features but it does retain the most important bits, like tiff and bracketing. Not as many choices for aspect ratios, no filters (coloured or warm etc, like the old glass filters) or film types.
You can go to jag.gr and download PDFs manuals for all of his apps.

I have been using Superimpose for blending images for a while. I really dislike the magnifier as it jumps around a lot so I turn it off but I find it easier to use then a lot of other blending apps.

Last edited:
Pureshot is basically a pared down 645 Pro III, minus some features but it does retain the most important bits, like tiff and bracketing. Not as many choices for aspect ratios, no filters (coloured or warm etc, like the old glass filters) or film types.
You can go to jag.gr and download PDFs manuals for all of his apps.

I have been using Superimpose for blending images for a while. I really dislike the magnifier as it jumps around a lot so I turn it off but I find it easier to use then a lot of other blending apps.
Yeah, I've been reading a lot of negatives on Superimpose due to that and to crashes. That's what really frustrates me about PS Touch....I'll work on an edit doing removal or blending only to have the app crash when I'm almost done. 10-30 minutes wasted. So frustrating!

Yeah, I've been reading a lot of negatives on Superimpose due to that and to crashes. That's what really frustrates me about PS Touch....I'll work on an edit doing removal or blending only to have the app crash when I'm almost done. 10-30 minutes wasted. So frustrating!
I have not had any crashes with Superimpose
When you select the brush for masking you have a button to turn off the magnifier. With the last update where they added the magnifier I got pretty frustrated with its inaccurate and jumping around, and at first I never noticed the box to disable it :)
I have tried other blending apps but I keep going back to Superimpose.

I also have never had Superimpose crash on me. I have got used to using the magnifier and can't do without it now.

... I can't wait to see some of your Hong Kong pics. The buildings coupled with the lights and hustle and bustle of the torrents of people will make for some great photography...

There is so much potential here but sometimes difficult to take pictures close. For example, there are so many areas that you can take pictures of people from above but really you need a zoom to get in close. However, I found a place which is level with the top of buses and trams and quite close and can't wait to see if I can get some interesting shots from here as long as there is not too much reflection from the glass.
I definitely need to find a good app for night shots and learn to take good low light pictures (not something I have done before). This is where I think there is the most potential. I have to go up lots of steps to get to my home and at night it is a fantastic setting with the street lights and shadows and people. Often people are looking at their devices so their faces have this eery glow around them. Then 'downtown' there are the night markets, evening bars and restaurants. Easy to perch on a high stool and get passers by or see a laborer sitting on a stool in the middle of an alley silhouetted by the street lamp. It's a sweet shop.

I also have never had Superimpose crash on me. I have got used to using the magnifier and can't do without it now.

There is so much potential here but sometimes difficult to take pictures close. For example, there are so many areas that you can take pictures of people from above but really you need a zoom to get in close. However, I found a place which is level with the top of buses and trams and quite close and can't wait to see if I can get some interesting shots from here as long as there is not too much reflection from the glass.
I definitely need to find a good app for night shots and learn to take good low light pictures (not something I have done before). This is where I think there is the most potential. I have to go up lots of steps to get to my home and at night it is a fantastic setting with the street lights and shadows and people. Often people are looking at their devices so their faces have this eery glow around them. Then 'downtown' there are the night markets, evening bars and restaurants. Easy to perch on a high stool and get passers by or see a laborer sitting on a stool in the middle of an alley silhouetted by the street lamp. It's a sweet shop.
Unfortunately night street images may be really difficult to get. Most night apps use slow shutter speeds and with people moving, well it don't work so good.
My youngest son (31 so not so young any more) just got back from Las Vegas, around 600 pictures he took with his 5S and some videos and maybe a quarter of the images were taken in poor lighting and while it did a lot better then I though it would many are not as sharp as they could be. Out of the night shots that did have people only a couple don't show movement of people while background is pretty sharp. Will see if he will let me post a couple. Lucky sod works for a company called Driven Automotive and they flew him down to SEMA which is all about cars so the majority of the photos are cars, a lot of indoor shots and mostly came out really good.

Unfortunately night street images may be really difficult to get. Most night apps use slow shutter speeds and with people moving, well it don't work so good.
My youngest son (31 so not so young any more) just got back from Las Vegas, around 600 pictures he took with his 5S and some videos and maybe a quarter of the images were taken in poor lighting and while it did a lot better then I though it would many are not as sharp as they could be. Out of the night shots that did have people only a couple don't show movement of people while background is pretty sharp. Will see if he will let me post a couple. Lucky sod works for a company called Driven Automotive and they flew him down to SEMA which is all about cars so the majority of the photos are cars, a lot of indoor shots and mostly came out really good.
Was he using the native camera? Or did you set him up with some of the camera apps for different scenarios? Can't wait to see some of them....I imagine it was quite the business trip.

Hopefully your spot works for you...you may need to go there at different times in the day to get the proper lighting, but I'm sure they'll look amazing even with some glare and reflection. Good way to practice B/W. If there's a lot of movement from people and cars, it would be neat to see a portrait style shot of someone with the blurred hustle and bustle behind them. For some reason, I've always loved those types of shots. Anyways, can't wait to see some of the results. For low light stuff, I have a few apps that I haven't really played around with too much, but initial thoughts of them were promising, so I kept them. They're Night Modes and NightCap Pro.

Was he using the native camera? Or did you set him up with some of the camera apps for different scenarios? Can't wait to see some of them....I imagine it was quite the business trip.
He used the standard camera app.
Most of the time he uses his digital but I gather he forgot the charger and battery died. After that he used his iPhone for everything.
He had a blast down there! Most was work related, SEMA is all cars and new products so every year two or three go down to check out all the new stuff. They stayed at the New York, New York. Of course after hours they were free to do whatever. He is not a gambler so he said he only lost about $20 with the slots over the week he was there. I really liked the different buildings so lots of shots of them, loved the water fountains that are synced to music.

Back
Top Bottom