Mashable

I give up, give me a clue?
7FB1555B-2F2C-4A62-9F8B-9C62B215CEC3.png

I Googled “Is Mashable down” and couldn’t find anything. A Mashable article came up and when I clicked it brought me to Mashable, no problem. Clicking on the sub headings at the top like Video, Culture, etc works fine. But when I click on the Mashable logo top left, I get the gibberish. Weird.

I Googled “Is Mashable down” and couldn’t find anything. A Mashable article came up and when I clicked it brought me to Mashable, no problem. Clicking on the sub headings at the top like Video, Culture, etc works fine. But when I click on the Mashable logo top left, I get the gibberish. Weird.
I see, well its ok in the UK (shrugs shoulders emoji)

terse Ted, do you have any ideas why this is happening?
Not much, no. What you're seeing (or were seeing) is the coded or marked up text for the page rather than the rendered version. It's the kind of thing that can happen if the file for the page you're accessing gets munged or if your web browser somehow misses the opening line(s) that tell it what kind of file it's receiving. (The actual rendering of the page happens on your device, in whatever web browser you're using.) I'm seeing the proper rendered version here.

A high-traffic site (and Mashable probably qualifies as one) will have multiple servers providing pages to visiting browsers. It's possible that the problem only exists on the server you happen to be connecting to and that's why you don't see other people complaining. Or, if you're connecting through the wi-fi at your office, there might be something there that's causing the trouble -- try turning off wi-fi on your phone and going to mashable with your cell connection. And if that doesn't work, try a different browser.

I expect rizole and some others probably know more than I do.

Not much, no. What you're seeing (or were seeing) is the coded or marked up text for the page rather than the rendered version. It's the kind of thing that can happen if the file for the page you're accessing gets munged or if your web browser somehow misses the opening line(s) that tell it what kind of file it's receiving. (The actual rendering of the page happens on your device, in whatever web browser you're using.) I'm seeing the proper rendered version here.

A high-traffic site (and Mashable probably qualifies as one) will have multiple servers providing pages to visiting browsers. It's possible that the problem only exists on the server you happen to be connecting to and that's why you don't see other people complaining. Or, if you're connecting through the wi-fi at your office, there might be something there that's causing the trouble -- try turning off wi-fi on your phone and going to mashable with your cell connection. And if that doesn't work, try a different browser.

I expect rizole and some others probably know more than I do.
It was happening at work on my computer and on my cell most of today. Now it seems to be back. :alien:o_O

EDIT: Nope. Gibberish again. So it might be our Wifi? Ugh.

Last edited:
So it might be our Wifi? Ugh.
Do you have the same problem on a different computer at the office?

Do you have the problem on your cell phone if you turn off wi-fi there?

If it's not urgent, you can wait to see if it's better in the morning. Often things are.

Do you have the same problem on a different computer at the office?

Do you have the problem on your cell phone if you turn off wi-fi there?

If it's not urgent, you can wait to see if it's better in the morning. Often things are.
I’ll troubleshoot some more tomorrow. Our WiFi SUCKS (many times I have to turn it off on my cell in order to access websites) so I bet that’s the problem. Nothing urgent... but I do browse Mashable every day.

Back
Top Bottom