Masking

docsimsim

MobiLurver
I just can't get the hang of 'masking'. Every time I try I give up after a few minute as my image ends up getting masked in all the wrong areas. Is it because I'm using finger/iPhone? Any tips on how to master masking?

Can you mask on the computer, say in Photoshop, but not on the phone? Or is the phone the sole place you have had to practice? If you can do the former, then it might be the finger, or it might be the finger in combination with the particular app you are using...Have you tried in more than one
app? Some are better than others at it. I wish I could find one that I could use a pen tool, like Photoshop.

Can you mask on the computer, say in Photoshop, but not on the phone? Or is the phone the sole place you have had to practice? If you can do the former, then it might be the finger, or it might be the finger in combination with the particular app you are using...Have you tried in more than one
app? Some are better than others at it. I wish I could find one that I could use a pen tool, like Photoshop.
I've only tried it on PhotoWizard and no I'm trying to avoid using laptop or even iPad as I have ME and i'll be in a lot of pain if I didn't do all my editing on phone while Lying down on my back!! I know it sounds weird but it's the only way I can work for longer periods without arms going dead and hurting like hell. I tried using my partner's Samsung which has a stylus and i liked that as screen is bigger too, but iPhones don't come with styli (is that the plural of stylus lol). Bottom line is I have to basically find a way of doing all this on my iPhone. I have very tiny hands and fingers which helps but the screen is just too small to pinch and zoom precisely for masking. Do you know if it's possible to do masking on iPhone? Have you ever tried it? Thanx

I've only tried it on PhotoWizard and no I'm trying to avoid using laptop or even iPad as I have ME and i'll be in a lot of pain if I didn't do all my editing on phone while Lying down on my back!! I know it sounds weird but it's the only way I can work for longer periods without arms going dead and hurting like hell. I tried using my partner's Samsung which has a stylus and i liked that as screen is bigger too, but iPhones don't come with styli (is that the plural of stylus lol). Bottom line is I have to basically find a way of doing all this on my iPhone. I have very tiny hands and fingers which helps but the screen is just too small to pinch and zoom precisely for masking. Do you know if it's possible to do masking on iPhone? Have you ever tried it? Thanx

Hi :D I originally started with my iPod then iPhone and only edited on them , it is tricky but I mastered it , if you have condition like ME you will most likely tire quicker , masking can be fiddly but practice makes perfect and now I spend only a short time doing it ! I recently purchased an ipad and love the size and edit ease ! But is still possible on an iPhone solely it's just getting acquainted with the app , some of my best and favorite pieces are done just solely on my iPhone . Blur fx is a great app for practising with , I do love photowizard tho , just keep playing ,bit by bit ! Like walking up a mountain , the man who walks 20 steps at a time will certainly get there if a little slow :D

Yes, you can do it on the phone. I do it on the phone. On the computer. On the iPad. LOL. If you can mask on it, I do it.

I use a styus on the iPhone to do really close work.

.I don't know Photo Wizard so I can[t comment if that is a good masking program or not. Leonardo is good. It's 4.99 on the app store US. iColorama has a good masking tool. FX Photo Studio has a good mask brush. I agree with Vixenscry about practice. It is the same in Photoshop, ie,. good selections take practice, but good selections make the difference between an image that looks great and one that doesn't. I use a stylus for detail work on the phone sometimes. I have the jot pro. Zoom in really close to the edge you are masking and it will give better results. You might want to practice isolating some images that are high contrast, like a black object photo'd on a white background so the edges will show really easily - stock photos downloaded can be good for this.

Layrs, an app discussed on this site last week, has a tool that makes selection of foreground and background easier to do. You might want to look at that one, too.

You'll get it.

With photo wizard , if you firstly lasoo the subject that you wish to mask , then magic wand the area which you have lassoed , then use the brush to cover any areas missed , you should have a rough masked area , apply whichever fx you wish then go back if an are is not masked enough or too much by either using the eraser or brush :D

a rough area to begin with which takes moments is all you need ! I think I tried the brush the first time around and spent ages trying to get it right , but it really can be tweaked later . Here's a few shots I did just for you just now in five minutes , which would hopefully take you half an hour . Hope this helps .
image.jpg
Lasoo
image.jpg

Magic wand in the areas within the lasoo , magic wand as much as you can less tiring and fiddly
image.jpg

Magic wand the rest :D but it hasn't got to be perfect yet :D
image.jpg

Apply the fx of your choice and if you need to edit the mask , just press the go back arrow and erase abit or add abit with the brush :D
image.jpg

I added some zoom blur , then saved and reloaded the edit to add tone and saturation
And finally a reflection too :D
image.jpg

Hope this helps :D I love photowizard :D if you use the lasoo first it will really shorten your edit time ,and you can do it ! :D

With photo wizard , if you firstly lasoo the subject that you wish to mask , then magic wand the area which you have lassoed , then use the brush to cover any areas missed , you should have a rough masked area , apply whichever fx you wish then go back if an are is not masked enough or too much by either using the eraser or brush :D

a rough area to begin with which takes moments is all you need ! I think I tried the brush the first time around and spent ages trying to get it right , but it really can be tweaked later . Here's a few shots I did just for you just now in five minutes , which would hopefully take you half an hour . Hope this helps . View attachment 45374Lasoo
View attachment 45375
Magic wand in the areas within the lasoo , magic wand as much as you can less tiring and fiddly
View attachment 45376
Magic wand the rest :D but it hasn't got to be perfect yet :D
View attachment 45377
Apply the fx of your choice and if you need to edit the mask , just press the go back arrow and erase abit or add abit with the brush :D
View attachment 45378
I added some zoom blur , then saved and reloaded the edit to add tone and saturation
And finally a reflection too :D View attachment 45379

Hope this helps :D I love photowizard :D if you use the lasoo first it will really shorten your edit time ,and you can do it ! :D
Thanx so much Vix, I actually never got as far as lassoing, I was trying to do it by pinching and 'magic wanding' which is very tricky. Do you think the PhotoWizard masking is harder than the blur fx you mentioned? I find Tadaa the easiest for masking a subject using paint brush but tbh I hardly ever use it as it only applies blur to the excluded part of the image so it's a bit limiting. Will try your suggestion on PhotoWizard when arms are a bit stronger and less shaky. I over did it yesterday trying to snap cars driving past in the dark, which was a bit of a waste of time as most came out too grainy lol. PS In general do you use masking often and in what situations? If I want to remove/add something I use retouch and clone. I know picsplayPro also have some sort of masking but whenever I see the check pattern I just panic lol, I think that's what confuses me. If it was just a different coloured paint (like Tadaa), I'll find it easier to follow I'm sure
Simin

Last edited:
Yes, you can do it on the phone. I do it on the phone. On the computer. On the iPad. LOL. If you can mask on it, I do it.

I use a styus on the iPhone to do really close work.

.I don't know Photo Wizard so I can[t comment if that is a good masking program or not. Leonardo is good. It's 4.99 on the app store US. iColorama has a good masking tool. FX Photo Studio has a good mask brush. I agree with Vixenscry about practice. It is the same in Photoshop, ie,. good selections take practice, but good selections make the difference between an image that looks great and one that doesn't. I use a stylus for detail work on the phone sometimes. I have the jot pro. Zoom in really close to the edge you are masking and it will give better results. You might want to practice isolating some images that are high contrast, like a black object photo'd on a white background so the edges will show really easily - stock photos downloaded can be good for this.

Layrs, an app discussed on this site last week, has a tool that makes selection of foreground and background easier to do. You might want to look at that one, too.

You'll get it.
Thanx Diana. Yes I hear people mention Leonardo but I still haven't got it as an trying to learn all the apps I already have and there's never enough time for yet more apps. I don't know if you use Tadaa, but I find their 'masking' function easiest to use as you just paint the subject you want to have focus on and it blurs the rest but it only blurs which is limiting. So I can buy a stylus to use on my iPhone? That might be a good idea. I think I probably have to relent and start using iPad, maybe iPad mini do it's lighter to handle? I think using finger instead of stylus is just always gonna be a problem so I have to get a stylus. Can I use the same stylus on iPhone and iPad mini/iPad? Thanx

Last edited:
Thanx so much Vix, I actually never got as far as lassoing, I was trying to do it by pinching and 'magic wanding' which is very tricky. Do you think the PhotoWizard masking is harder than the blur fx you mentioned? I find Tadaa the easiest for masking a subject using paint brush but tbh I hardly ever use it as it only applies blur to the excluded part of the image so it's a bit limiting. Will try your suggestion on PhotoWizard when arms are a bit stronger and less shaky. I over did it yesterday trying to snap cars driving past in the dark, which was a bit of a waste of time as most came out too grainy lol. PS In general do you use masking often and in what situations? If I want to remove/add something I use retouch and clone. I know picsplayPro also have some sort of masking but whenever I see the check pattern I just panic lol, I think that's what confuses me. If it was just a different coloured paint (like Tadaa), I'll find it easier to follow I'm sure
Simin
You can do all the editing within wizard , the lasoo really does make it less of a task ,then you can easily fill in and then erase bits or even add more , that really only took me 5 minutes , there are lots of apps out there that do similar ,but love the results with wizard and all the other effects , here is a pic I did with wizard
image.jpg

We were standing on paddington station in London with hoards of people,their train was called and they all rushed to board . I simply masked the bits I wanted to stay still and added motion blur to the peeps for a bit of drama :D it really is just getting used to the app you chose to use , have fun Simin and take your time :D xx Vix

I mask in Leonardo. It is very easy. They have great tutorials. Finger for easy ones and stylus for exacting ones.
mike

Yes, you can use the stylus with either the iPhone or iPad (or any other smart phone with a touch screen editing app, as far as I am aware.)
I have an iPad 3. I don't use it that much because it is WAY heavier to hold lying in bed (where I, like you, also do a lot of phone-based editing work.) I went to the store and checked out the Air this weekend, but I still thought it was WAY heavier than I expected for the Air label. I bought my husband the mini for his BD in July, but it didn't arrive till August, and then by the time he had our son set it up for him (don't ask, he's not a geek like me...) my MIL's netbook broke, and since she is homebound, he lent her that. Based on the limited time I held it in my hands, I think, for my purposes, I would prefer the Mini, but I haven't gotten to hold it lying in bed, the sure test for me. :)

Yes, you can use the stylus with either the iPhone or iPad (or any other smart phone with a touch screen editing app, as far as I am aware.)
I have an iPad 3. I don't use it that much because it is WAY heavier to hold lying in bed (where I, like you, also do a lot of phone-based editing work.) I went to the store and checked out the Air this weekend, but I still thought it was WAY heavier than I expected for the Air label. I bought my husband the mini for his BD in July, but it didn't arrive till August, and then by the time he had our son set it up for him (don't ask, he's not a geek like me...) my MIL's netbook broke, and since she is homebound, he lent her that. Based on the limited time I held it in my hands, I think, for my purposes, I would prefer the Mini, but I haven't gotten to hold it lying in bed, the sure test for me. :)
That's very helpful thanx. Yes I think I should go for the iPad mini, do let me know (if you manage to borrow your MIL's one), whether it passes the horizontal/in bed test or not :)

Last edited:
You can do all the editing within wizard , the lasoo really does make it less of a task ,then you can easily fill in and then erase bits or even add more , that really only took me 5 minutes , there are lots of apps out there that do similar ,but love the results with wizard and all the other effects , here is a pic I did with wizard View attachment 45395
We were standing on paddington station in London with hoards of people,their train was called and they all rushed to board . I simply masked the bits I wanted to stay still and added motion blur to the peeps for a bit of drama :D it really is just getting used to the app you chose to use , have fun Simin and take your time :D xx Vix
That's a great photo :). I love the radial blur in PhotoWizard. Now I really have to learn masking so I can do selective blurring :). Thanx

Excellent impromptu tutorial Vix !

Simin, on the phone I rely on zooming right in and panning a lot to make up for the small screen and to get some accuracy painting selections.
Yes I zoom in a lot as well Darren, but the problem is the interface can get in the way when one's trying to edit the edges of the image.
Re Vix's tutorial, yes it really helped. I find the vid tutorials that come with apps not easy to follow. Prefer someone actually explaining it to me verbally step by step!

Last edited:
Masking practice. This is a stationary (parked car), I masked it in PhotoWizard and applied motion blur
@docsimsim - That has worked really well Simin... :D

A couple of things that would help the impression of motion in such examples, firstly don't hesitate to crop - if you remove the foreground just up to the forward kerb line and remove the top just above the street light it will help focus in more on the subject... ;)

The other key thing for directional motion iMages, like your example, is to try to leave at least a third of the frame in front of the subject for it to 'move' into' - so, you would sort of have the subject centred on the right hand one thirds line in your example and the left hand third would be left empty to provide the blank space for the subject to zoom into... :rog:

@docsimsim - That has worked really well Simin... :D

A couple of things that would help the impression of motion in such examples, firstly don't hesitate to crop - if you remove the foreground just up to the forward kerb line and remove the top just above the street light it will help focus in more on the subject... ;)

The other key thing for directional motion iMages, like your example, is to try to leave at least a third of the frame in front of the subject for it to 'move' into' - so, you would sort of have the subject centred on the right hand one thirds line in your example and the left hand third would be left empty to provide the blank space for the subject to zoom into... :rog:
Thanks @Venomator. Sitting by the window and snapping doesn't give me much room for manoeuvre, but will try in future to leave more room for movement in front.
Below is another one I did on the same day, but this time I snapped a moving car using the headphone button. The images are a bit grainy because I took the photos on an overcast day just before dusk.

A. Original image of moving car, no edit
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1384113318.399190.jpg

B. Above image cropped, masked and had motion blur applied then blended to make the image stronger and a bit of tweaking with colour to bring out the red in the wall
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1384113455.273844.jpg

C. Same as B, but with 'sepia' filter
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1384113520.048986.jpg

As always thank you the for great advice Rog :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom