1713319618999.jpeg

Winner of MCC #342 by djingonthenet Sean

MCC Rules:
  • Mobile photography colour images
  • Please list device/s and apps used to create your image
  • Winner will choose theme/no theme and judge the next MCC
  • Please see the Rules and Guidelines for MobiChallenges posted HERE
Judge: djingonthenet Sean

Theme: SOOC (straight out of camera) - point, shoot, no editing - subject matter is completely up to you!

Last edited:
I ran into an unusual problem with this theme. I've been shooting in ProRaw using the native iPhone camera, which produces a DNG raw file with an embedded JPG preview. I can't upload the DNG (too big, and not a file type MobiTog can handle), and if I open the DNG in an app -- such as Lightroom Mobile or Photomator -- the unedited DNG looks generally blah (which is how it should be since "raw" means no processing added, more or less). So if I just open it and save it as a JPG, I get a not very exciting image. If I tweak it to look like the JPG preview, I've edited the image. And I found no obvious way to extract the nice-looking JPG preview from the DNG. The workarounds are:

* Open the image full screen in Photos and then screenshot it, which is what I did with the bluebells above. I had to crop some black borders off the top and bottom of the screenshot.

* Email the image to my self, specifying original size, which sends the JPG rather than the DNG.

* Use Copy Photo from the Share menu in Photos (which grabs the JPG), then paste it into a new page in Notes, and finally save it from Notes back to Photos.

There are other ways -- Shortcuts, for example -- to convert a ProRaw DNG to a JPG, but as far as I know, those methods all process the image rather than just grabbing the JPG preview, and in my limited experience, the results don't look as good as the ProRaw preview.

So I've started shooting JPGs for the remainder of this challenge (or until I find a simpler way to get the JPG). :lmao:

I ran into an unusual problem with this theme. I've been shooting in ProRaw using the native iPhone camera, which produces a DNG raw file with an embedded JPG preview. I can't upload the DNG (too big, and not a file type MobiTog can handle), and if I open the DNG in an app -- such as Lightroom Mobile or Photomator -- the unedited DNG looks generally blah (which is how it should be since "raw" means no processing added, more or less). So if I just open it and save it as a JPG, I get a not very exciting image. If I tweak it to look like the JPG preview, I've edited the image. And I found no obvious way to extract the nice-looking JPG preview from the DNG. The workarounds are:

* Open the image full screen in Photos and then screenshot it, which is what I did with the bluebells above. I had to crop some black borders off the top and bottom of the screenshot.

* Email the image to my self, specifying original size, which sends the JPG rather than the DNG.

* Use Copy Photo from the Share menu in Photos (which grabs the JPG), then paste it into a new page in Notes, and finally save it from Notes back to Photos.

There are other ways -- Shortcuts, for example -- to convert a ProRaw DNG to a JPG, but as far as I know, those methods all process the image rather than just grabbing the JPG preview, and in my limited experience, the results don't look as good as the ProRaw preview.

So I've started shooting JPGs for the remainder of this challenge (or until I find a simpler way to get the JPG). :lmao:
I thought I was shooting in jpeg. I’ve had a problem uploading images since I got the 15 pro. I usually open it in Handy Photo then save as a smaller file. I just checked, I was shooting in ProRaw, too. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom