Night Stars with Slowshutter App

Tobman

MobiStarter
Real Name
Toby Leeson
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
I took this late night star pic with my iPhone 14 Pro using the Slowshutter app. The settings for the attached photo were 12 MP Jpeg, 24 mm, f1/8, ISO 12,500, 30 s expsoure.

Does anyone know what's causing the green color?

Night Sky.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I took this late night star pic with my iPhone 14 Pro using the Slowshutter app. The settings for the attached photo were 12 MP Jpeg, 24 mm, f1/8, ISO 12,500, 30 s expsoure.

Does anyone know what's causing the green color?
Now that's a puzzle. I've not a clue at the moment. There's a bunch of slow shutter apps. Were you using the Slow Shutter Cam app from CogiTap?

I used that app on my iPhone 14 Pro, but didn't have the option of ISO higher that 2500. (That was using the app's Low Light mode.)

Now that's a puzzle. I've not a clue at the moment. There's a bunch of slow shutter apps. Were you using the Slow Shutter Cam app from CogiTap?

I used that app on my iPhone 14 Pro, but didn't have the option of ISO higher that 2500. (That was using the app's Low Light mode.)

Yes, Slowshutter by Cogitap. All pics I took that night had the green color cast.

Here a are two more examples.
IMG-1513.JPG

IMG-1512.JPG

I haven't had a chance to try a night shot yet, but I did use Slow Shutter Cam in Low Light mode inside a very dark closet, and I got this:

IMG_6567.jpeg

But the ISO still registered as 2500, not 12500. One that I shot in the same conditions but with ISO 20 came out all black. My totally unsubstantiated guess is that the max ISO setting madly amplifies the signal from the sensor, and the result turns green because the sensor has twice as many green receptors as red or blue ones. But the answer could be something else altogether.

In any case, some people get good night sky shots with their iPhones, so there's got to be a way. I did see an article on the web about using this combo for star shots, and it suggested using Light Trails mode rather than Low Light mode. If the sky's clear tonight, I'll try that.

Thanks. I will keep trying with different settings. I think on the first shot I posted I had ISO set to auto, and it definitely says ISO 12500. But here is another shot I took, and it was at an ISO of 125.

IMG_1577.jpeg

Thanks. I will keep trying with different settings. I think on the first shot I posted I had ISO set to auto, and it definitely says ISO 12500. But here is another shot I took, and it was at an ISO of 125.
Hmm. So it looks like it's not the ISO setting, I guess. We got clouded over last night, so no chance to try out Light Trails.

Hi Toby! I took the liberty of editing your posts to include full sized images. When you tap on ”attach files” tap on “insert” then choose “full image”. And welcome to Mobitog!

OK, I guess the night of the summer solstice wasn't the best choice for trying to get a star shot :thinking: :lmao:. So this was taken ~9:30pm Pacific time, using Slow Shutter Cam in Light Trails mode with Light Sensitivity full, Shutter Speed 30 seconds, and ISO Auto. Not full dark, so only a few stars, but the sky's not green!

stars.JPG

Nice! Looks natural. I'll give it a try here using similar settings. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom