Problem with streaked vertical lines

Mauro, you're right… I was a bit too euphoric. The problem with the vertical lines still exists although IMO there has been a slight improvement. I did not comment anymore because nobody seemed to have this problem but me.
I've sent a report to Apple weeks ago, maybe you could do the same. We just can hope that this problem will be fixed some day… :-(
I shoot with my iPhone 5s but do the processing mostly on my iPhone 4 because I still have iOS6 on it. Lucky me...

Mauro, I have experienced the same issues as you point out with iOS7, including with its latest update 7.0.6. I try to work with as many .tiff images as possible or as many apps as will allow. The only way I have been able to reduce the purple tint in a final black and white image is to set my saturation to 0. Desaturating the image completely, as long as I boost the contrast and white balance beforehand, will save it without the purple hue being as noticeable.

Hi Ron,

The problem is that this could work with one app, but as soon as you go to another one with that problem, you'll have a saved purple picture. Even with text apps like Phonto, or A+ Signature you have this problem, just placing a watermark. So that means you need to open the watermarked picture with another app again to try to get the same black and white desaturating again. I mean, this is a serious problem to me, I'm surprised Apple didn't fix it yet. Imho.

This is not only for black and white pictures but with colours is even more difficult to realise. Imaging maybe how many pictures have this magenta/purple problem and we don't realize it because we think it's the "filter" or the "texture" that give that look!

Sorry, but the problem with the vertical lines has NOT been fixed with the new iOS 7.0.5 update!

I noticed these two big problems with my iPhone5S (IOS 7.0.6) and my iPhone4S's wife (IOS 7.0.5):
1. VERTICAL LINES
My original shots are clear and sharp but after saving to the camera roll (simply "open and save without processing" an image with every apps, i.e. Snapseed, Filterstorm, Leonardo etc.) some lines appear and I notice a great degradation of image quality.
2. PHOTOS TURN PURPLE
Every time I save an image to the camera roll (again, simply "open and save" the image with every apps), it turns more and more "purple". Actually, it's impossible for me to get a PURE BW photo in my camera roll.
I made some tests with the iPhones of my friends (IOS 7) and the same issue occurs.

Below is an example. Because of this problem is more evident with BW photos, I use a shot taken with camera app simply converted in black and white. First image is a crop from the original BW shot, the second one is the same image opened and saved (without processing) with Snapseed about 10 times. Same problems occurs with every apps I tried (Filterstorm, Photofx, VSCO, Afterlight, TadaaSLR, Leonardo, PSexpress, Noir etc.).
Note: enlarging the image (i.e. with Filterstorm), the problem is visible after 2 or 3 times.

Have you noticed these problems?
If not, please try to reproduce it (only IOS 7) simply opening and saving (without processing) a BW photo about 10/12 times and compares the result with the original one.

Greetings from Italy, my friends!
Mauro

PS. Sorry for my english, but my teacher died on 3rd days of school ;-)
@entusiasmo - Hi Mauro and welcome to MobiTog, great to have you join us... :thumbs:

Wow, I have never experienced the purple problem you have illustrated, thanks for adding the iMages before and after to show us!

It is my guess the lines you mention and illustrate are more an issue with multiple saving of JPEG files, which we know do deteriorate with each saving.

Please do pop over to the Welcome Section when you have a spare moment, introduce yourself to your fellow members and tell us a little about you and your mobile photography passion... :D

And please, you have no need to apologise, your English is absolutely fine! I would love to speak Italian so well... :notworthy:

Hi Ron,

The problem is that this could work with one app, but as soon as you go to another one with that problem, you'll have a saved purple picture. Even with text apps like Phonto, or A+ Signature you have this problem, just placing a watermark. So that means you need to open the watermarked picture with another app again to try to get the same black and white desaturating again. I mean, this is a serious problem to me, I'm surprised Apple didn't fix it yet. Imho.

This is not only for black and white pictures but with colours is even more difficult to realise. Imaging maybe how many pictures have this magenta/purple problem and we don't realize it because we think it's the "filter" or the "texture" that give that look!
I agree. At first, I did a double take on my b/w image because it had a purple hue after I saved it. I thought I did something wrong with my editing. I have gone back to see pre-saves and compared them to post-saves with my color shots. I do notice a blue/magenta hue to them. Until this is fixed, I will have to redo a portion of my saves before sending them out for printing. :(

@davidroccato thanks a lot for you kind welcome! :)

@davidroccato
@eyephoto
@venomator
Had you never noticed a quality degradation with multiple saving of your pictures? If not, please try to reproduce it simply opening and saving an image multiple times (10/12), with Snapseed app (or with another app if you want).
Waiting for your reply...thanks in advance!

PS. I noticed some quality degradation after 3/4 times I save my pics on the camera roll...
PPS. I'm having the same issue with the latest upgrade of Leonardo app :-(

Mauro, you're right… I was a bit too euphoric. The problem with the vertical lines still exists although IMO there has been a slight improvement. I did not comment anymore because nobody seemed to have this problem but me.
I've sent a report to Apple weeks ago, maybe you could do the same. We just can hope that this problem will be fixed some day… :-(
I shoot with my iPhone 5s but do the processing mostly on my iPhone 4 because I still have iOS6 on it. Lucky me...

IOS6? You're veeery lucky! ;-)
With IOS7 it's impossible for me to edit a shot with more than 3/4 apps, because I start to see a quality degradation..If you dont' see it, try to zooming in or simply take a crop...

That is why you should use tiff or PNG files! If you use Leonardo save as PNG,Filterstorm save as Tiff or Snapseed use open in and then save as tif or PNG

That is why you should use tiff or PNG files! If you use Leonardo save as PNG,Filterstorm save as Tiff or Snapseed use open in and then save as tif or PNG

Mikeraboy - is that the solution? I have to get a new phone pretty soon - my contract with my iPhone4 is ending in April sometime - because Apple isn't supporting anything without the latest version of their iOS anymore, which means 7, and this discussion is scaring the hell out of me.

In general I don't use a ton of apps - only when I am doing a composite project. I really don't like what I am reading here. I know about TIF files, they are stable BUT they take longer to go to camera roll AND they eat up space on your phone. Is PNG better about time and space? (wow that last sounded really astrophysical... hahaha)

Tiff and PNG files are lossless,they don't lose data. They are much larger. Not much difference in memory. As I have said before ,in the photoshop world almost everybody uses raw files,almost never Jpegs.. Iphoneography, is not a toy for snapshots(although it can be used that way) but is now an equal to DSLR photography. Pros are doing it! I have a 32 GB iPhone 5s with an iPad. They take space ,but I store my pics in Dropbox, so it works. If you use the right camera apps and editors there is no problem. Some of the beautiful art that is on Mobitog using apps like Mextures and I Colorama with many textures and effects can hide some of these problems. I take simple photos and depend more on low noise, focus and exposure, proper light. I have no problem with vertical streaks or photos turning purple.

Last edited:
so you put all your pics into dropbox instead of camera roll and download from there to wherever? ( best practices archiving is to never put all your eggs in one basket)

re: phones & storage & pro - many people start getting into iPhoneography with whatever phone they happen to have. Mine is my first ever, I've had it almost 2 years. I use it mostly as a camera yes, but it does get used as a phone and a few other things. Storage is paltry to yours in comparison - 6.3 G - I have no idea what I'm going to be able to get with my next phone, which will undoubtedly come with iOS7. The streaking and purple problems need to be resolved for the non-pros - not everyone is going to want or be able to afford the pro setup. In the meanwhile though yes - looks like restrictions as you mention are in order for those with iOS7...

Last edited:
so you put all your pics into dropbox instead of camera roll and download from there to wherever? ( best practices archiving is to never put all your eggs in one basket)
No, I have enough memory to work in Camera roll. I take my selected pics from my iPhone Camera roll and use photo transfer to send them to my ipad. In my ipad I go to my editor(Leonardo -Png, or FS-tiff,or Snapseed- open in) edit them and then save in camera roll and then upload to Dropbox, Then I delete then from Camera roll on phone and Ipad. Now I am ready for more pics. I bought my 32 gb iPhone from Verizon for 200 with trade in and my Ipad refurbished from Apple 32 gb with Wifi

Marking your advice above, thank you. I don't know if I'm going to go iPad (yet) - I carry enough day to day (woman thing, darnit!) - but I like your uploading strategy. I have to look into that more and get a system down. Thank you for this, wondering if maybe we should have a separate tip section on how people work within limitations, it's very useful and helpful! Going to ask the Mobitog staff if there's some place we can gather this here, if an area doesn't already exist.

Love having access to people who know what they're doing! <3 Thanks again, Mikeraboy!

Knock on wood! I know about
Sorry, but the problem with the vertical lines has NOT been fixed with the new iOS 7.0.5 update!

I noticed these two big problems with my iPhone5S (IOS 7.0.6) and my iPhone4S's wife (IOS 7.0.5):
1. VERTICAL LINES
My original shots are clear and sharp but after saving to the camera roll (simply "open and save without processing" an image with every apps, i.e. Snapseed, Filterstorm, Leonardo etc.) some lines appear and I notice a great degradation of image quality.
2. PHOTOS TURN PURPLE
Every time I save an image to the camera roll (again, simply "open and save" the image with every apps), it turns more and more "purple". Actually, it's impossible for me to get a PURE BW photo in my camera roll.
I made some tests with the iPhones of my friends (IOS 7) and the same issue occurs.

Below is an example. Because of this problem is more evident with BW photos, I use a shot taken with camera app simply converted in black and white. First image is a crop from the original BW shot, the second one is the same image opened and saved (without processing) with Snapseed about 10 times. Same problems occurs with every apps I tried (Filterstorm, Photofx, VSCO, Afterlight, TadaaSLR, Leonardo, PSexpress, Noir etc.).
Note: enlarging the image (i.e. with Filterstorm), the problem is visible after 2 or 3 times.

This is the original image:
View attachment 50686

This is the "final" image (after about 10 times of "open and save" without processing):
View attachment 50687

Crop of the ear (original image):
View attachment 50688

Crop of the ear (finale image):
View attachment 50689

Have you noticed these problems?
If not, please try to reproduce it (only IOS 7) simply opening and saving (without processing) a BW photo about 10/12 times and compares the result with the original one.

Greetings from Italy, my friends!
Mauro

PS. Sorry for my english, but my teacher died on 3rd days of school ;-)
Why would you want to open and save the image 10/12 times without processing? Maybe I missed something here.

image.jpg
That was a test to see what happens when you edit Jpegs. The 1st is jpeg unedited,the second is Jpeg about 6 or 7 times. Note the vertical lines and the difference in color. The 3rd is a png and the 4th is png about 6 or 7 times re saved. No change in colors ,no vertical lines. I don't think the problem is IOS 7, but the loss of data when you re edit Jpegs.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 29
I think it would be the same. Jpegs lose data every time they get saved. I don't think it matters what the operating system is. . If you do minimum editing then it won't matter. It would be hard to see the difference. I am not an expert. just don't have the problem.

yes, that I know about jpegs , it's just weird how these problems are showing up so prominently in iOS7 when no one was complaining about them with earlier versions of iOS - right?...

I went back to ios6 and my iphone 5 and saved about 10 times, no vertical lines some degradation. So it's a problem with ios 7. I wouldn't upgrade and probably wait for IPhone 6, although I like my 5s and am not having problems. I compared pics with 5s jpegs vs. tiffs or png's and noted that they are better photos to start with, but not that much!

I went back to ios6 and my iphone 5 and saved about 10 times, no vertical lines some degradation. So it's a problem with ios 7. I wouldn't upgrade and probably wait for IPhone 6, although I like my 5s and am not having problems. I compared pics with 5s jpegs vs. tiffs or png's and noted that they are better photos to start with, but not that much!

Well, I think the problem is how these files are handled. Ok, we have apps that now save in Tiff but how many do we have that edit in Tiff and save in Tiff afterwards? I suppose that when you open a Tiff file in an app that doesn't handle it, the picture is converted in Jpeg. I mean, I'm starting to be a little bit confuse about how apps are handling the files. And then we have the apps that are not destructive and that helps a lot for the quality of the image. When an app says it saves in Tiff, does it mean it edits in Tiff too if I import a Tiff picture from the camera roll in it?

I'd like to understand more about how apps handle this new Tiff iPhoneography "Era". :S

that is a good question David but it still points out a flaw with 7 - you should not have to use a TIF file to edit in. That isn't a required thing for a desktop application - why should it be required for a mobile one?

@davidroccato I think we proved already that the vertical lines (and the purple tint) are indeed an iOS7 issue. They didn't/don't appear with iOS6 - see my test, post #17, Mauro's post #23 and Mikeraboy's post #43.

I love my apps I used before Apple introduced iOS7 and I don't want to miss them.
Things should improve and not get worse with new iOS versions.
The best we can do at the moment is to send a report to Apple. The more people complain the better the chances of being heard.

In the meantime we have to live with the vertical lines (and the purple tint) or you use apps which allow you to save as TIFF, as Mikeraboy mentioned already. Unfortunately the selections of these apps are very limited…

What is important is how the file is saved. If a file is a tiff or a PNG and is saved that way then okay. If the editor opens a Tiff or PNg and can't save a Tif or Png then you have the option of "open in" to another editor that does this. For exampleI take apic with PureShot, 645pro or Kit Camera, then edit in Leonardo or FS no problem. If I edit in Snapseed, then I have to open in and send to Leonardo or FS and then save. PAin in the neck, but it works. Remember that Tiff is a better quality photo to begin with. That has been shown. I prefer to save lossless photos as I have said before.

@davidroccato I think we proved already that the vertical lines (and the purple tint) are indeed an iOS7 issue. They didn't/don't appear with iOS6 - see my test, post #17, Mauro's post #23 and Mikeraboy's post #43.

I love my apps I used before Apple introduced iOS7 and I don't want to miss them.
Things should improve and not get worse with new iOS versions.
The best we can do at the moment is to send a report to Apple. The more people complain the better the chances of being heard.

In the meantime we have to live with the vertical lines (and the purple tint) or you use apps which allow you to save as TIFF, as Mikeraboy mentioned already. Unfortunately the selections of these apps are very limited…

Mariko, you're right, the issue don't appear with IOS6 (I tried with other iPhones IOS6 equipped).

PS. how can I send a report to Apple? thank you in advance! ;-)

What is important is how the file is saved. If a file is a tiff or a PNG and is saved that way then okay. If the editor opens a Tiff or PNg and can't save a Tif or Png then you have the option of "open in" to another editor that does this. For exampleI take apic with PureShot, 645pro or Kit Camera, then edit in Leonardo or FS no problem. If I edit in Snapseed, then I have to open in and send to Leonardo or FS and then save. PAin in the neck, but it works. Remember that Tiff is a better quality photo to begin with. That has been shown. I prefer to save lossless photos as I have said before.

As a developer I would like to weigh in on this very interesting discussion. First, I must admit that this is the first I hear of vertical streaks and purple hue issues with JPG files and iOS 7. We'll certainly be adding PNG support in our next update.

That said, I think it's important to point out that compression quality plays a major role in how lossy JPG files are. A compression quality of 100% is virtually lossless and very much comparable to that of PNG. So one must make a distinction here.

Also, I would like to clarify that using the Open in menu doesn't bypass the issue because files must first be converted to data in whatever format supported by the app before being transmitted.

Hope this helps shed some light on how file are handled internally within apps.

Back
Top Bottom