Refine Details/Focus & Improve ShockMyPic Res :: Rusko-Tutorial

Rusko-Berger

MobiFan
Real Name
Nick
Rusko-Tutorial: Refine Details/Focus & Improve ShockMyPic Res

TOOLS: For this tutorial you'll need ShockMyPic and tools that scale and re-size canvas, plus allow layering. I use Filterstorm 4 and ArtStudio here.

OVERVIEW: If you're like me, you love ShockMyPic, but sometimes get frustrated that you can't make the effect smaller and finer than its lowest setting. In this tutorial, I'm going to show you how to bend Shock to your needs...and make the effect any size you need.

As a side benefit, this technique can also be used as an alternative method of improving the focus of your image...without employing sharpening. Shock isn't just a handsome effect. When you subtly deploy it in the fashion I'm demonstrating (possibly including further selective layering and masking), it's a powerful tool to tighten an image up and improve its legibility, even when you're playing it fairly straight in your edit.

CONCEPT: Here's your "key" to Shock: it consolidates *and* inter-connects visual elements in your image using its serpentine, blocky lines. Information grouping is important in visual communication and artistic pursuits as it allows you to present the viewer with clearer and more organized stimulus, and Shock's algorithm makes very pleasing choices in its pixel groupings.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359256806.251470.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359256838.283950.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359256860.863413.jpg

THE PLAN: Feed Shock *fractions* of your image, then re-combine them. I'm Shocking quartered image sections, which effectively halves the size of the effect/doubles its resolution.

The remaining steps involve re-combining the image. In Photoshop, it wouldn't bear mentioning, but with iApps, it's a bit tricky to keep things centered and properly registered to-the-pixel. I use Filterstorm since I can make Automations (macros) to use for other projects. I also use ArtStudio for its multiple layers, but you could use any app that allows layering/combining, such as FS, Superimpose, Blender, etc.

Note: My image, from Hipstamatic, is 1936 x 1936 pixels wide. Make your life easier by using even numbers--crop if necessary.

THE STEPS: In Filterstorm (FS), I re-size the canvas four times to make four new images; one for each quadrant (upper left, upper right, etc).

1.) In Filterstorm, re-size canvas. Start by making an image that is the upper quarter, alone. Set anchor point: choose upper left lock to make your actions "radiate outward" from that corner. Input new size: 968 x 968. Make an Automation (FS doesn't let you edit or copy macros, so the eight macros made here aren't used here--just in future projects.) Save the new image. Repeat this for the other three quarters. Don't forget to keep changing the corner lock appropriately.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359256897.049763.jpg

2.) Open ShockMyPic. In settings, make sure the effect is on the lowest setting. Process your four quartered images and save them out.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359256913.092234.jpg

3.) Back to FS. we are going to scale the Shocked images (960 x 960) back up to 968 x 968, then put them back into a 1936 x 1936 image--in their proper locations. (Doing it this way means that you don't have to fiddle around, manually positioning the quarters together--a total pain in the iApps.)

Scale to 968 x 968. Then, re-size canvas to 1936 x 1936. Again, for upper left, click the upper left corner lock. For background color, pick a crazy color--more on this later.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359256984.191884.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359257029.500523.jpg

4.) Open ArtStudio to combine the four quartered and positioned Shock images.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359257044.502002.jpg

As a base (just to be sure it's all registered properly) I use the original image. Load the four quarter/position pieces in as layers. Select the flat colored areas and delete them. (As I mentioned above: if you chose a crazy background color that isn't shared by any edge pixels in your original image, you can use a magic wand tool to delete the background. If the wand selects image colors, you can just use the rectangular selection tool, no problem.)

Now...you're done! You should have a 1936 x 1936 image with double the Shock resolution!

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359257065.503395.jpg

All the best,

Nick

Wow Nick! Great indepth and detailed tutorial! :thumbs:

I must admit, my brain started spinning after trying to figure out automations, scaling, putting the bits back together. I see any sort of math and my brain goes on vacation. :confused:

You have an amazing grasp of Filterstorm <jealous>... For me, seeing a video or being with someone while they do this is probably key for me. :)

Wow Nick! Great indepth and detailed tutorial! :thumbs:

I must admit, my brain started spinning after trying to figure out automations, scaling, putting the bits back together. I see any sort of math and my brain goes on vacation. :confused:

You have an amazing grasp of Filterstorm <jealous>... For me, seeing a video or being with someone while they do this is probably key for me. :)

Thanks, Rose!

I did all the math for ye! ;)

Really--if you ever feel like giving it another go: Ignore automations (I just mentioned it since it saves buckets of time in the future). Only do a single quarter, all the way through, just to get a feel.

I've always meant to make tutorial vids, but the last thing my prodigious ADD needs, at the moment, is another long, deep tangent. Maybe someday...

:)

I will try it... :thumbs:

I just learn better by seeing/doing. I couldn't figure out ReTouch for the LONGEST time (not sure why now), and my friend Robin showed me on her iPad and it was a total AHA!!! moment. I'm sure if I sat down with someone for an hour or so I could learn Filterstorm well. Right now all I'm proficient in is cloning, sharpening, scale, and adjusting brightness, contrast etc. I know it does SO MUCH MORE, but haven't taken the time to try and figure things out. :coffee:

Well, My first attempt went a bit awry. Having never used Artstudio I had to fiddle around a bit with the controls and might have done something wrong.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1359324213.939480.jpg

I used the wand and cleared the selected colors. Not sure what happened.
Other than that it worked out great. I'm gonna dive back in and give it another try.

Wow, this is awesome! :)
Thanks for the original tutorial Nick. I now have a project to fuel my already critical level insomnia.
Going to try this out tonight ... and I have just the image for it too!!!

I tried something a bit different as I do not have ArtStudio.
The image was split and shocked and then had the canvas resized exactly as outlines by Nick.
Well almost, I set the background canvas colour of each resized piece to black.
My reassembly took place in Layover.
The pieces were then loaded as layers in Layover.
I set the blending mode for each layer to Screen and moved the slider all the way over to the left.
This had the desired effect (I think).
I would love some feedback from the more technically minded app'ers out there (a.k.a. Nick) to please let me know what they think of this amendment to the process.

Note: Ack, sis and poofey I just noticed that Layover resized the output down to 1024 x 1024 from 1536 x 1536.

Here are the two images:

The Nick-ified image:
IMG_8825.JPG

The original image:
IMG_8789.JPG

Thank you, Nick! I wish the developers of ShockMyPic could push their coding a little further, and offer more resolution. This is the best work-around I have encountered. I have been using the Effects >DeNoise >Anti-Alias option in iColorama with ShockMyPic, but it is still coarse. Great thinking, articulate tutorial, and it is generous of you to take the time to share your discovery!

Just an FYI, if your image is a different size...then divide by 2 and that would be your size number you put in FS.

Ex

Your current image is 1916x1916. Divide 1916 by 2 = 958
then in FS input 958x958.

I was wondering why my image wasn't lining up properly. I hope this helps others.

Thank you, Nick! I wish the developers of ShockMyPic could push their coding a little further, and offer more resolution. This is the best work-around I have encountered. I have been using the Effects >DeNoise >Anti-Alias option in iColorama with ShockMyPic, but it is still coarse. Great thinking, articulate tutorial, and it is generous of you to take the time to share your discovery!

I do too ! I've always loved Shock - sometimes I want the squiggly's other time not so much. I use blender ( A LOT ) to reduce the squiggles Glaze also works depending on the image...I've been trying Nick's method and...:confused: have hurty -head. A video would help me... I'm with RC on this one !:) But I'll keep at it !

I do too ! I've always loved Shock - sometimes I want the squiggly's other time not so much. I use blender ( A LOT ) to reduce the squiggles Glaze also works depending on the image...I've been trying Nick's method and...:confused: have hurty -head. A video would help me... I'm with RC on this one !:) But I'll keep at it !
Oh no, not hurty head. I hate it when that happens

Back
Top Bottom