B&W RESULT:#28 Black & White Challenge

When I have to judge a challenge, I open each image in a separate browser tab and then cycle through, tab by tab, over and over, closing tabs here and there until I'm left with just a few for the final decision. Once in a while, the winner grabs me on the first time through, and that's what happened here.

First goes to Larry MotownLarry for "Chloe": A beautiful portrait, soft without being in the least fuzzy or blurred, mainly high-key light but with enough darks to give it shape and interest. I love the pensive, direct gaze, the positioning at the right of the frame, the way the edges of her hat and arm fade into white, and the overall understated, no fuss look. It looks effortless, although I'd guess a fair amount of sweat went into it. Helluva portrait, Larry. You need to enter this somewhere, and you definitely need to print it.

img_1006-jpg.95002

Second goes to sinnerjohn for "The Fly": What's not to like? It's sharp, detailed, and strange, with some ick factor for extras. It may have been a lucky shot, as John said, or not, but so what? Even if luck puts you in the right place at the right time, you still have to make the shot and then (with a shot like this) have enough sense to leave it pretty much alone.

20170615_141320-01-jpeg.95096

Third goes to rizole for "Bed rock": The image is sharp and contrasty, with dramatic clouds and good detail. But the kicker, for me, came on my second look, when I discovered the reclining figure that makes the image unusual. I know I would have been tempted to mess with localized adjustments to make the figure jump out more, but it's better this way.

20170521_162513-01-jpeg.94957

And an Honorable Mention goes to Mingmarlama for "Smoky_image": Nice capture of the smoke (not that easy to do), and with the white smoke being off center to the right, my eye is drawn past it to the dark side-lit figure, then further into the shadowy background, then to the bright square in the left background, and from there back to the white smoke again.

img_1560-jpg.94962
Thank you.
Brilliant pic MotownLarry.
Well done fellow winners.

When I have to judge a challenge, I open each image in a separate browser tab and then cycle through, tab by tab, over and over, closing tabs here and there until I'm left with just a few for the final decision. Once in a while, the winner grabs me on the first time through, and that's what happened here.

First goes to Larry MotownLarry for "Chloe": A beautiful portrait, soft without being in the least fuzzy or blurred, mainly high-key light but with enough darks to give it shape and interest. I love the pensive, direct gaze, the positioning at the right of the frame, the way the edges of her hat and arm fade into white, and the overall understated, no fuss look. It looks effortless, although I'd guess a fair amount of sweat went into it. Helluva portrait, Larry. You need to enter this somewhere, and you definitely need to print it.

img_1006-jpg.95002

Second goes to sinnerjohn for "The Fly": What's not to like? It's sharp, detailed, and strange, with some ick factor for extras. It may have been a lucky shot, as John said, or not, but so what? Even if luck puts you in the right place at the right time, you still have to make the shot and then (with a shot like this) have enough sense to leave it pretty much alone.

Third goes to rizole for "Bed rock": The image is sharp and contrasty, with dramatic clouds and good detail. But the kicker, for me, came on my second look, when I discovered the reclining figure that makes the image unusual. I know I would have been tempted to mess with localized adjustments to make the figure jump out more, but it's better this way.

And an Honorable Mention goes to Mingmarlama for "Smoky_image": Nice capture of the smoke (not that easy to do), and with the white smoke being off center to the right, my eye is drawn past it to the dark side-lit figure, then further into the shadowy background, then to the bright square in the left background, and from there back to the white smoke again.

img_1560-jpg.94962
Congrats super judge Larry :lol: thanks for the 2nd Ted and YAY to everyone else. :thumbs:

img_1006-jpg.95002

img_1560-jpg.94962
Marvellous judging Ted. All of these could have been taking the top spot, so it can't have been easy to choose between them. Is congratulations in order for Larry? Judging two challenges next weekend. Some might say it serves him right for producing such great images. Loved the fly, missed the person laying in the rocks, but now love that image even more and Mingmarlama's smoky image is just great. A fabulous week to be a black and white image. I'm off to the Gallery to hang Larry's gorgeous image.

img_1006-jpg.95002

img_1560-jpg.94962

Perfect result from perfect judge. [emoji4]
Congrats to all the winners (Larry,sinnerjohn,rizole) and participants.
All the images are great and inspiring.
And thnx for honourable place. [emoji120][emoji120] I don't think I'm deserving coz just look at other images damn they are so cool and awesome.

img_1006-jpg.95002

img_1560-jpg.94962

Excellent choices, I loved the portrait.

Back
Top Bottom