B&W RESULT:#59 Black & White Challenge

Over all, 1st place goes to WildPlace for The wee chapel at Col de Ibañeta.
image-jpeg.105035

I love the simplicity of this but get a complex, emotional reaction from it I'm not sure I can describe.
There's a sense of otherness, the sky and landscape merge and blend into each other around the structures which have strong, geometric lines and angles. The only connection to a solid reality is from the drifts of snow that stop everything floating in an indistinct void by fixing them to the hills on the right and grounding the whole thing.
It's wonderfully composed and looks good at any scale. It could make a stamp or a huge poster without losing any impact.
I love the textures, the dark adds mystery and mood and without other context it could have been taken several decades ago or just yesterday.
I'd have given 2nd place to her Cedar of Lebanon but I'll save 2nd for someone else and give her a double 1st :)

WildPlace gets the win but I'm going to break format a little now because I can :mobibabe:.
I've split the remaining winners into two categories: Still Life and Landscapes.

In the still life category I'm rating them in the following order:
Pond Ice by RoseCat (Beautiful, surprising)
Intersect by dscheff (Delicate, nice use of negative space)
E By Gum by JillyG (Bold, striking, funny, art deco, colonial propaganda)

In the Landscape category:
Not sure I’m posting the right way in this challenge, if not please let me know by younger (It's just fun and nice to see someone doing something a bit different in the B&W challenge)
Passing by and In-seine by sinnerjohn (Who always produces excellent urban landscapes (but I can't bear his puns :p))

Honourable Mentions to sdimbour for her landscapes, FundyBrian's log, Lynne.Peterson 's Hummmm....where should I go next and commiserations to carlos who posted a great portrait but not in B&W unfortunately.

Sorry if I've missed you off the list, it has been another solid week of quality work from everyone.

Oh my goodness, i just logged on, the first time in 24 hours, thanks so much rizole and everyone for your very kind words, i'm feeling a bit stunned at the moment and :notworthy:

Well done to the other people mentioned as well, some great images as usual :)

Oh my goodness, i just logged on, the first time in 24 hours, thanks so much rizole and everyone for your very kind words, i'm feeling a bit stunned at the moment and :notworthy:

Well done to the other people mentioned as well, some great images as usual :)
Well done, well done. I loved this image.

image-jpeg.105035

I love the simplicity of this but get a complex, emotional reaction from it I'm not sure I can describe.
There's a sense of otherness, the sky and landscape merge and blend into each other around the structures which have strong, geometric lines and angles. The only connection to a solid reality is from the drifts of snow that stop everything floating in an indistinct void by fixing them to the hills on the right and grounding the whole thing.
It's wonderfully composed and looks good at any scale. It could make a stamp or a huge poster without losing any impact.
I love the textures, the dark adds mystery and mood and without other context it could have been taken several decades ago or just yesterday.
I'd have given 2nd place to her Cedar of Lebanon but I'll save 2nd for someone else and give her a double 1st :)

WildPlace gets the win but I'm going to break format a little now because I can :mobibabe:.
I've split the remaining winners into two categories: Still Life and Landscapes.

Not sure I’m posting the right way in this challenge, if not please let me know by younger (It's just fun and nice to see someone doing something a bit different in the B&W challenge)
Passing by and In-seine by sinnerjohn (Who always produces excellent urban landscapes (but I can't bear his puns :p))

Honourable Mentions to sdimbour for her landscapes, FundyBrian's log, Lynne.Peterson 's Hummmm....where should I go next and commiserations to carlos who posted a great portrait but not in B&W unfortunately.

Sorry if I've missed you off the list, it has been another solid week of quality work from everyone.
image-jpeg.105035

That’s so nice, thanks for that! Congratulations Yvonne and all the others too! :) :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom