The MobiMash Project - DEMONSTRATOR

Such a cool image Kerryn! When I first saw the image of the granny with the shotgun, I had to laugh! Glad someone was able to use it!

AlyZen Moonshadow said:
Guys, seeing as some of us (myself included) were early off the block and already working on our composites before everyone's 5 images were submitted... I hope it's ok for us to submit more than one entry to this Demo? Just for the Demo, maybe?

What do you think? Also, it might be a good idea to have a deadline set for submitting the 5 images, before running the Challenge? That way the pool will be full and there won't be any stragglers or early starters. Ahem!! ;-)

I agree with Aaron on the first part Aly - no holds barred would also mean that ALL contributors are more than encouraged to submit as many entries as they wish... :thumbs:

With so many fine images to choose from it only seems right to have as many goes as you feel like, early starters or not... :)

As for the deadline for pool images - I'm not sure we need to necessarily, if there are images already 'pooled' that you want to work on why wait? And it will help maintain momentum in the project... :D

From MiPhone4 via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D

Here's my contribution. Not sure if I can recreate the exact same image in hi-res given that I used Grungetastic's dice throw (bad move) to play with Lisa's fence image...but I do know exactly what I did after with the images in Blender (first blended the fence with the airplane image using color burn and then added Aaron's texture using soft light), Filterstorm (to clean up Bryan's airplane image a tad) and ArtStudio (to get some motion on those blades using the smudge tool).

image-938688892.png

image-4131338758.png

image-1520102730.png

image-2197552649.png

Just followed AlyZen's advice to resize the final image in Iris. I think this resolution should be good enough for the book...?

I call it "Ripping Through the Canvas"

image-516242516.png

Just followed AlyZen's advice to resize the final image in Iris. I think this resolution should be good enough for the book...?

I call it "Ripping Through the Canvas"

Great image Mansi, well done! Please keep all your full resolution images stored safely as we'll have to email them to a central point when the book is created. Mobitog doesn't allow for a high enough upload size. Cheers Aaron

As there's been quite a few questions lately about image sizes/resolutions, I'll shortly be posting up a Thread about it. Hopefully it will be a helpful guide for anyone who's wondering about it. :)

AlyZen Moonshadow said:
As there's been quite a few questions lately about image sizes/resolutions, I'll shortly be posting up a Thread about it. Hopefully it will be a helpful guide for anyone who's wondering about it. :)

It's important to note AlyZen, there is a big difference in quality working with higher resolution images over resizing low resolution images. Resizing means that your effectively adding pixels that previously weren't there. Whilst some apps do this quite well, working with higher Rez images is preferable.

Here's a life in Lofi app review that explains a bit more about re-sizing.
http://lifeinlofi.com/2010/08/10/review-resize-photo-image-interpolation-for-iphone/

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

Very cool image Mansi! AlyZen, look forward to the thread!
Thanks, Bryan. Given the distinction that Aaron pointed out between low-res image conversions and working with high-res images to begin with, could you, Aaron and Lisa please send me the high-res versions of the airplane, texture, and fence? My e-mail address is [email protected]. Thanks!

For anyone who has asked me to send them a hi-res version of an image, I am not ignoring you!! I've been crazy busy with my students this week. I will send images plus post my mash-up(s) by this weekend. Thanks!

Aaron Davis said:
It's important to note AlyZen, there is a big difference in quality working with higher resolution images over resizing low resolution images. Resizing means that your effectively adding pixels that previously weren't there. Whilst some apps do this quite well, working with higher Rez images is preferable.

Here's a life in Lofi app review that explains a bit more about re-sizing.
http://lifeinlofi.com/2010/08/10/review-resize-photo-image-interpolation-for-iphone/

Aaron, I note your comment and thank you for the link.

However, I never resize a low-res image on its own, having learnt from past experience :). The way I process my images is, each time I add a new filter or effect to an image, I'm effectively adding pixels to it. More so when I blend or superimpose two or more images together. Everything goes into the mix, so to speak. I generally run an image through at least 3, if not more Apps. By the time I'm done processing, there's heaps of pixels intermingled, and that way I'm not exploding pixels into empty space when I resize to a larger resolution. I think it's important to leave the resizing until the very last step.

Another note on Sizes...the iPhone 4 saves at a default size of 1936x2592 pixels. That's without running the image thru any apps. This is a high enough resolution to support at least an 8x6 inch print at 300ppi. The higher the ppi (pixels per inch), the sharper the quality; industry standard is 300ppi. You can get a good quality print at 200ppi, that means your print is bigger but remember, the number of pixels in your image will be spread over a bigger area. That's why at 100ppi, when your image is 3 times the 8x6 inches, i.e at 24x18 inches, you'll see blurring or pixellation - because each pixel has been exploded to fill up a space 3 times its size.

Back
Top Bottom