TIFF & JPEG Explained - The Definitive Idiot's Guide...

jseye

MobiStar
Real Name
John
Looking forward to it!
...I think... :confused: :lol:

RoseCat (and Lisa) -

Beginning note: This is likely going to end up as a three or four part series of posts, so strap yourself in and get ready for the ride . . .

If you get to know what lies behind the simple phrase "You press the button, we do the rest", you will be a member of that highfalutin' group of photographers who really understand the mysteries of both Jpeg and TIFF. So that's where we'll begin.

In its earliest days, photography was a dark science - half chemistry and half alchemy - practised only by a few sorcerers of the medium. And about the only times the general public came into contact with photographs or photography was when they saw a photograph printed in a book or newspaper, or if they saved their money and visited a photographic studio to have their portrait taken sitting very still on an overstuffed sofa and immortalised in a genuwyne photo-graph.

The idea that an average person could own a camera and shoot, develop and print photographs of their own daily life and times was simply inconceivable.

Enter a Genius, a man who had the certifiably insane idea that he could and would make photography an inexpensive, everyday activity for ordinary people in all walks of life. Interestingly, he came of the same generation as Henry Ford, who had the certifiably insane idea that he could and would make owning and driving a motorised vehicle an inexpensive, everyday activity for ordinary people in all walks of life.

Our Genius first designed and built a cheap camera. Really cheap; cheap enough for anyone to afford. However, it did take passable pictures.

But . . . What about all the chemicals you had to mix and the tanks and trays and the clockwork timers and thermometers and the pitch black room - the darkroom - you needed to actually develop and print the pictures you had taken with your "affordable" camera?

Here's the point at which Genius became Genius Squared, and photography was catapulted into life's mainstream.

"Simple enough", said our Genius. "All you have to do is send the camera with the exposed film back to me at my factory and I'll not only develop and print your photographs and send them back to you but also send you a fresh camera loaded with a new roll of film."

That's how freaked-out crazy our Genius was. His idea went gold and then platinum and double platinum within a year.

The camera became known as the "Brownie". The name of our genius was George Eastman. The name of his photography company was (and is) Eastman-Kodak. Yeah, that Kodak.
The advertising motto he thought up to describe his photographic revolution was:

"You press the button, we do the rest"

"And what on God's Green Earth does this have to do with Jpeg and TIFF ?", you might be asking? Followed by, "Is this some kind of really demented Shaggy Dog story ?"

(Stay tuned for the next instalment . . . all will be revealed as we go along . . .)

R'gds,

John

"And what on God's Green Earth does this have to do with Jpeg and TIFF ?", you might be asking? Followed by, "Is this some kind of really demented Shaggy Dog story ?"

(Stay tuned for the next instalment . . . all will be revealed as we go along . . .)

R'gds,

John
Oh, this is great!!! I like it in installments like this... doesn't give me hurty head trying to read it all. :D :thumbs:

Bring on Part 2, please!!

The decades after World War II were the Golden Age of Kodak.

Very nearly every family had the Family Camera, and the family photo albums filled with birthdays, holidays, weddings, parties, graduations, and other accidents, incidents and transformations.

I remember that Kodak Ritual.

In my family it was my mother who would pick up the latest set of pictures from the drugstore when on her errands in town, and when the entire family had come home we would sit down at the kitchen table as she opened the bulky paper envelope of photos and laid them out on the table for all the world like someone laying out a hand of cards. The envelope was interesting in its own right as it had two compartments, a larger one for the pictures themselves, and a smaller, narrower one for the negatives. I was as fascinated by the negatives as the photos and, I suppose, this was the original catalyst that brought me into the photographic craft.

The photos would pass around the table with jokes and commentary, compliments and groans, then would be gathered up, again by my mother who would some time later assemble them into albums with captions and dates below each picture in her neat hand.

Fast forward, now, some forty years to the digital photography revolution.

When the first digital cameras came out I - like many other film shooters - had a good long laugh at this absurd piece of pie in the sky technology and promptly forgot about it for the next couple of years.

Forgot about it that is until - very suddenly it seemed - film became harder and harder to get, then damn near impossible and my favourite camera store emptied my favorite big display case that held all the used 35mm bodies and lenses and refilled it with . . . Digital cameras ? ? ?

Just as the CD caused the virtual extinction of vinyl LP records, the digital camera wiped out film based photography overnight.

The new technology of course was touted as being infinitely better. Shoot your photos, download them onto your computer, then print them or email them to friends. So simple, so powerful, so hip, so hassle-free, so . . . instantaneous.

Needless to say, the computer acronym "Jpeg" went mainstream just as fast as the new technology, and the old term "snapshot" vanished from the language like a snowflake in July.

Now I'll skip a few years in which I made the shift from film to digital, became somewhat proficient with a computer in a humble sort of way, and stumbled my way down this new electronic photographic superhighway. And we'll return for a moment to our Genius, George Eastman.

What, then, had really changed in Eastman's Vision for the average photographer, the Everyman?

Other than spending the money to buy in to the new technology, the new cameras and maybe a newer, zoomier computer, and spending a little time on the learning curve of the new and different buttons to press, absolutely nothing.

As a matter of fact, if you had stopped by George Eastman's grave just at the moment that digital triumphed over film, you would have found that he had busted out of his coffin and was standing upright in the hole shouting "Hallelujah ! ! !" at this latest iteration of his Vision.

His Vision had progressed from the comparatively unwieldy process of sending the whole camera - film and all - to his factory in Rochester, New York for the film to be developed and the photos printed and sent back to you, to the improvement of simply dropping that little cartridge of film off at the corner drugstore and picking up the photos a few days later to . . . This ! . . . the entire process, end-to-end, shutter release to finished photograph, contained in a tiny device you could easily fit in one hand. Digital photography had given a whole new level of meaning to the original motto:

"You press the button, we do the rest"

Except . . .

Except . . .

Except for one small detail that very few people cared about or even noticed. In this new electronic version of Kodak's paper envelope of pictures, there was no second compartment for the negatives and, indeed, no negatives at all.

"How so?", you might ask.

The Jpeg file and/or image is a finished image, the photograph complete.

Unlike the film process in which the information used to create the photograph is captured and stored in the form of a negative, a physically separate entity that is then used in a second process to create the actual photograph, the digital camera creates an internal file to store the information, then automatically transforms that file into the finished photograph, the Jpeg file. As a result of this process the original file is overwritten and lost, so there is no digital equivalent of a film negative for a Jpeg image.

And at this point both you and George Eastman might be asking "Who cares?"

After all, the film negative was just a necessary means to an end. If Eastman could have figured out a way to make a photograph without using a negative, he would have, and done it in a New York Minute, too. All you - and ol' George - really wanted was the finished photograph, and if digital photography doesn't need a negative then neither do I. Right ? ? ?

(The answer to this question and possibly a few others also will come in the next instalment . . . Stay tuned !)

R'gds,

John

Last edited:
Really great read John.

Is it possible to move this to a dedicated post?
@Dannywu - You mind reader you!... :eek:

I was planning to do this after working day finishes today as it really does deserve it's own slot... :rog:

However, since you've requested it, I will move it now... :D

Excellent read!! I'm starting to have little "aha" moments in anticipation of #3!

Also loved the trip down memory lane... I loved our Kodak camera with it's outta sight square flashbulbs that made that fun popping sound and automatically spun to an unused side after you took a shot.

I was usually one of the first to open the envelope to see what my shots looked like, and held the negatives up to the light - so groovy to see all the darks/lights opposite how they appeared in the photos.

I must say, the advent of the digital camera pleased the very impatient part of me, who could hardly wait to get the film back, and that hated having to take a whole roll of film in hopes of getting a couple good shots, and REALLY made the anal side of me happy who loved that you could immediately delete a crap shot and retake it and be left with only photos you liked. :D

Excellent writing, John. Things are already becoming clearer! Looking forward to part 3.

At the end of the last instalment I wrote:

"All you - and ol' George - really wanted was the finished photograph, and if digital photography doesn't need a negative then neither do I. Right ? ? ? "

To understand just where the negative disappeared to, and why, we need to take a broader look at the digital process that culminates - specifically - in the Jpeg image.

(Note: I wrote most of the following in a couple of posts on another thread, but have combined and edited them here, as this is where they fit into the overall discussion of Jpeg and TIFF.)

I look out my door into the front pasture and see a black and white cow. What actually happened here, in the instant my own two eyes recorded the image of the cow?

First off, light - that is to say Light with a capital "L" - was reflected off the cow and was gathered and focused by my eye's lenses (yup, just like camera's lens). That gathered light then landed on the light receptors, the rods and cones in my eye's retinas (yup, just like the pixels or photo receptors in the camera's sensor - its retina) and then was transmitted as hundreds of thousands of tiny electrical impulses up my optical nerves to my brain (yup, just like the tens of thousands of bytes of information electrically transmitted from the camera's sensor to the camera's central processor - its CPU or "brain").

Now things get a little more complicated and a lot more interesting.

Those electrical impulses travelling up my optic nerves are basically meaningless as an image; if you took any one of them by itself it would tell you nothing about the fact that there is a black and white cow in my front pasture. Equally, the bytes of information being transmitted from the camera's sensor to its CPU are utterly meaningless as an image, entire.

The image of the cow I see with my eyes only becomes an image when the neural structure of my brain acts as a translator and organises all those incoming nerve impulses into something I recognise as "black and white cow" (yup, just like the bytes of information only become a photograph when the programming of the camera's CPU acts as a translator and organises all those incoming bytes into something I recognise as "black and white cow").

You guessed it . . . The digital photography process is only a very crude and simplistic imitation - cobbled together out of glass and metal and plastic and batteries - of what our eyes & brain do every waking moment, and do far better and faster than the best digital cameras in the world.

And so we come to Algorithms, or, " Who is it really that runs the Digital Photography asylum?".

What we just established above is that - in imitation of the human eye-brain connection - the CPU of the camera receives a ginormous number of individual and unique pieces of data collected by the camera's sensor and organises them into something we recognise as the image of a black and white cow.

BUT . . . and you knew there had to be a BUT in here, didn't you . . . the CPU is just a stupid as the sensor. Neither one has any intelligence at all, nor do they have any ability to make decisions. They are electro-mechanical idiots that only do what they are told to do, nothing more, nothing less.

The "what" that tells the CPU what to do is the Algorithm. A very weird word that belongs in the class of words that really smart people with PHD's in Theoretical Reverse Ambivalence In No-Exit Logic Strings use casually whilst sipping their cappuccino.

It's actually dirt simple. All an algorithm is, is a very specific set of instructions designed to get you from a given point "A" to a given point "B" all the time, every time, no exceptions. Without an algorithm or algorithms to tell it what to do, a CPU is a perfectly useless piece of silicon that isn't worth the teaspoon of sand it was made from.

At this point you might be thinking "OK, great, but I really couldn't care less. I took my picture, I got my picture, I emailed it to my Mom. So shut up and ditch the subject, willya?"

Well . . . I would . . . but first I'm obligated to tell you that the picture you sent was not your picture. And that none of the pictures you have ever taken were or ever will be your own pictures.

This is the dark side of the Algorithm Moon.

To explain this clearly, though, I first need half a dozen people to look at my black and white cow. My question to each of them is simple: "Please have a look at the cow and tell me exactly what shade of black and what shade of white is the cow?"

What I will get is six conflicting answers. Answers that contradict one another. And six people ready to kill each other because their black and white is right, and everybody else's black and white is wrong.

"It's a black so black it's almost blue-ish, and the white is actually greyish."

"Nope. It's a brownish black and the white is sort of creamy."

"You're both dead wrong. The black has red highlights to it and the white is absolute pure white."

(you can continue with this just as far as you like . . . )

If you set up your tripod and take exactly the same picture with a half dozen cameras from different manufacturers, you will discover that you have six very different pictures. Different in exposure levels, different in white balance, different in color values, different in contrast, different in any standard you wish to apply. The same is true for all the different "camera" apps of mobile photography.

Why?

Because each manufacturer creates and uses their own proprietary algorithms - the instruction set that tells the CPU the steps it must follow - to create an image that they swear is truer to life (and to profits) than any other manufacturers' image. And those algorithms are created and tested against the biological eye-brain algorithms of their creators, and the Marketing Department, and Sales, and the Corporate Executives.

So what you see on the screen of your camera is, in fact, not at all your own image but a construct created by and for another set of eyes, another set of visual values.

To make it even worse, those people probably used existing "foundational" algorithms accepted as standard to the industry and put their own twist to them. Or used a foundational algorithm that had already had a couple tweaks to it, and then added their own twist.

In any event, not your picture at all, as I said, but a montage of other people's pictures projected to you for your viewing pleasure on the screen of your camera.

Ever wonder - usually with some frustration - why it was that the gorgeous scene you saw somehow - in a way you can't really put your finger on - wasn't the same at all in the resulting picture?

Or why, perhaps, when comparing your pictures to your memories of what you saw, you think for the hundredth time "I'm just not very good at photography?"

To misquote Bob Dylan, "it ain't (all) just you, babe . . . "

This is The World of the Jpeg Image.

Now, to be fair I have to say that most Jpeg images are really excellent and, as photographs go, represent to the best of their creators' abilities exactly what you framed on the screen of your camera.

They should be: the manufacturers of digicams spend an enormous amount of money and time on the development of their algorithms so that you, the end user, are over-the-moon happy with your pictures.

And most people are.

However, to return to the opening query of this writing, that digital photography no longer needs the negative (Right ? ? ? ), the Algorithm is What Happened To - and replaced - not only your negative but the need for the negative in the Jpeg image process. And, by the way, ultimately fulfilling George Eastman's grand Vision of seamless and painless and instantaneous photography for Everyman.

THE TRADEOFF

I write this in bold and capital letters because nothing in the Universe comes free.

There is no such thing as a Free Lunch, or Something For Nothing, or The Chicks For Free.

This includes digital photography . . . despite what the digicam manufacturers' ad campaigns say.

The TRADEOFF is that you - the Photographer - no longer have any control whatsoever over the photographic process. Granted, you still point the camera in the direction of your subject, but to the camera - and the photographic process - you are simply and only The Finger That Pushes The Button, and nothing more.

(This, dear readers, is where - at long last - the TIFF image . . . and the next instalment . . . take centre stage. Stay tuned!)

R'gds,

John

Wow!! Impressive presentation of information that would normally make me glaze over!
Yes indeed!! Beautiful writing John!! This is a really wonderful thread...

...and,

Ever wonder - usually with some frustration - why it was that the gorgeous scene you saw somehow - in a way you can't really put your finger on - wasn't the same at all in the resulting picture?

Or why, perhaps, when comparing your pictures to your memories of what you saw, you think for the hundredth time "I'm just not very good at photography?"
Ummm, YEAH. All the time.

#epiphanyreceived

The TRADEOFF is that you - the Photographer - no longer have any control whatsoever over the photographic process. Granted, you still point the camera in the direction of your subject, but to the camera - and the photographic process - you are simply and only The Finger That Pushes The Button, and nothing more.

(This, dear readers, is where - at long last - the TIFF image . . . and the next instalment . . . take centre stage. Stay tuned!)

R'gds,

John

Oh this surely explain so many things. Now I just need to ensure I pick the right 'eye' to capture the reality. :D

Keep this coming John! This is like Sesame Street, fun and educating :thumbs:

Can't wait for the next installment
@tycruickshank - Hi Tyler and welcome to MobiTog.com, nice to have you join us and get stuck in straight away... :thumbs:

I am sure it is in the darkroom already... ;)

When you have a minute, why not pop over to the Welcome Section and tell us a bit about yourself and your Mobile Photography and then get stuck in wherever the fancy takes you... :D

Can't wait for the next installment

Where we left off last, the poor digital photographer had been reduced to a state of Abject and Total Artistic Poverty. He or she had become The Finger That Presses The Button and nothing more. Pretty crappy state of affairs for anyone interested in photography as creative expression, visual inspiration, Art with a capital "A".

The above is actually something of a mis-statement: to be truly accurate I should say "the poor mobile digital photographer".

Why so ?

Because conventional digital photographers never lost The Negative when they made the shift from film to pixels. And in many ways this new "negative" was more versatile and waaay more sophisticated than the darkroom techniques that were used to manipulate the old film image. They - the users of conventional digicams -were in digital hog heaven.

The name of this new photographic Universe?

It was called the RAW file.

Digital camera manufacturers had figured out the algorithms that would take all the information received by the camera's sensor and deliver it as a readable image to the photographer, who could then adjust and transform the image (using specialised software) to meet both his or her standards of technical excellence and artistic vision.

This workflow swiftly became universally known as post-processing.

And what was it distinguished the RAW file format from the ubiquitous Jpeg?

There are two biggies . . .

The first thing you would notice is that the size of a RAW file is huge when compared to a Jpeg. One of the primary reasons for the Jpeg format's dominance in the world of image files is that it is small enough that the Internet can chew, swallow and digest literally billions of the suckers on a daily basis. If you tried that using RAW files it would blow every fuse and melt every wire in the world-wide web in about three nanoseconds flat. The Information Superhighway is gigantic, but it ain't that gigantic.

How do Jpeg files manage to deliver an image and stay relatively small at the same time? They all use some form of a process called "compression". If you take all the High Priest of High Tech Mystery out of Compression, what it amounts to is this:

You throw away a large part of the information collected by the sensor.

Huh ? ? ?

Eeeyup . . . Compression is a type of algorithmic component designed to eliminate as much of the original sensor data as possible while still delivering a "quality" image. I'll leave it to you to contemplate just what that sort of "quality" actually means . . .

RAW files on the other hand are also known as "uncompressed" files because none of the sensor data is thrown away.

The other biggest difference is the one we have already discussed earlier: Jpeg files use the manufactur's proprietary algorithms to deliver a finished image, and in doing so make major, and permanent, modifications to what is left - as the result of compression - of the original sensor data.

The RAW file delivers the original sensor data - and all of it - with no algorithmic modifications to pretty up the image. And though a RAW file may be used as a finished image, it is truly designed to be the "digital negative" of the digital photographic process.

BUT . . .

But . . .

There was one large and ugly fly floating in this delicious bowl of RAW digital soup.

Each and every conventional digital camera manufacturer had created their own proprietary (and secret) RAW file format, to be used on their own brand of cameras only. Canon RAW files simply can't be used in any way by Nikon, and NIkon RAW files - equally - plain won't work with Canon gear. Etcetera, for all the big-name digicam companies out there.

What did this do for mobile photographers who wanted to shoot in RAW ? ? ?

Dang and Double Dang, is what . . .

It shut them completely out of the game. Took the key out of their digital ignition and threw it away. Worse yet, Canon and Nikon and all of the digital big boys had zero interest in anything to do with phonecams and thus mobile photography.

Mobile photography using RAW - the digital negative - seemed doomed, DOA in any aspect you cared to look at it.

There was, though, one forlorn and lonely uncompressed image file format that stood out from all the rest. The difference? It was cross-platform. Anybody who cared to could use it; any software could be programmed to read and manipulate it.

It's name was TIFF.

( . . . and that is what we'll talk about in the next thrilling instalment of this Digital Saga . . . )

R'gds,

John

Seriously, this is really interesting reading! Thank you for helping me understand so much about the technical side of digital photography.

Back
Top Bottom