To -really- close an app...

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
...or not?

Ever so often, I'm reading tons of drivel from both camps: Yes, you should close all (background running) iToy apps daily and NO you shouldn't. Ever.

All I can say is: I do. Always. And on New Year's 2015/16, the woman next to me got mad at her iP4s, since she couldn't snap a pic of a bottle of wine (as a memo). Oh, NOT AGAIN! Why won't this piece of **** phone let me take pics anymore? she fretted. Can I try a solution, I asked, grabbed her phone, double tapped the HOME button and started to close apps. And closed apps. And closed apps...

Afer some 2-3 minutes of swipe-closing apps I almost had a fit, people around me laughing, but finally I could hand her the phone and say: Now, try again. Needless to say, she had no problem snapping her memo shot. She had no clue about "really" closing apps - and thus, never had done that!

So, at least for older iPhones (3x, 4x) you MUST close every gdmn app at least once a week, since, for example, iP4s has half the memory of iP5 (memory, I said, not storage space), and it gets overloaded/hogged down quickly. And that goes for my (older) iPad Mini as well. For the new fancy overpriced iToys (6x), I'm not so sure.

Here's something read-worthy, from a former Apple Tech guy:

http://www.payetteforward.com/is-closing-iphone-apps-bad-idea-no-heres-why/

I am very obsessive about closing apps, and never keep any running, except maybe the camera app when I'm on a photo walk. I also hard restart the iPhone about once a week-ish.

I turn mine off every night -- is that the same thing?

I close apps obsessively, too - just seems...untidy to leave them open :D When I pick up DH phone I often have a Christer-like experience: swipe swipe swipe swipe what the... why do you have thirteen apps open?? Since last week. :lmao:

I do close my apps from time to time. But it's more a habit than a need. The apps are already in memory on your device, regardless if they are running in the foreground or sleeping in the background. It's not like on a computer with a hard drive, where an app is first loaded from disk into memory. If an app behaves strange in some way then it's good to close and reopen it.

Funny thing that this discussion is coming up every now and then. Here is some talk from an Apple guy:
http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/10/should-you-quit-ios-apps-answer/

PS: Another one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-phone-won-t-quicker-longer-battery-life.html

Yeah, maybe I should've clarified: my 5 cents or whatever has nothing to do with battery life (but almost every darn article/comment on the internet do). It's about sluggish ol' iPhones starting to behave so badly that ppl almost smash them against the nearest wall. So, I'm stubborn about this: close apps. Not so much to jerk out a few more battery life minutes, but to stop your phone from crashing and refusing to snap more pics.

Oh btw, to get a healthy battery - DRAIN it. Every time possible. DON'T charge it x times a day, as soon as it hits 50%. Let it drain, that is let it chew away below 1% and shut itself down. Then, charge it to 100%. Rinse. Repeat.

Result: better battery life and no headache from battery shortage in the middle of a heavy photo frenzy.

:coffee:

Yeah, maybe I should've clarified: my 5 cents or whatever has nothing to do with battery life (but almost every darn article/comment on the internet do). It's about sluggish ol' iPhones starting to behave so badly that ppl almost smash them against the nearest wall. So, I'm stubborn about this: close apps. Not so much to jerk out a few more battery life minutes, but to stop your phone from crashing and refusing to snap more pics.

Oh btw, to get a healthy battery - DRAIN it. Every time possible. DON'T charge it x times a day, as soon as it hits 50%. Let it drain, that is let it chew away below 1% and shut itself down. Then, charge it to 100%. Rinse. Repeat.

Result: better battery life and no headache from battery shortage in the middle of a heavy photo frenzy.

:coffee:
I definitely close my apps to save battery life....but I have a 5S and haven't experienced much crashing so far (knock on wood), but it has gotten hot on occasion for no apparent reason.

Thanks for the reminder about letting the battery drain down....something I haven't been doing and should get back to (kinda like flossing.... :lol )

I definitely close my apps to save battery life....but I have a 5S and haven't experienced much crashing so far (knock on wood), but it has gotten hot on occasion for no apparent reason.

Thanks for the reminder about letting the battery drain down....something I haven't been doing and should get back to (kinda like flossing.... :lol )

:thumbs:

Btw, just remembered this: on my ol' 4s, I once opened a video shooting app by mistake, quickly closed it and opened the app I was supposed to check (messages) just before sleep. Woke up next morning with a "dead" phone. From 98% battery to 0% and auto shutdown. At first, I was confused. Then, I realized: that gdmn video app running (or maybe crashing) in the background drained the battery.

So: YES, apps running in the background eats battery. Close them. Period.

Yep. I'm fairly obsessive about closing apps. Mostly, I do it for the battery, but things just seem to run better. I also turn it off a few times a week and let the battery drain as far as I can, whenever I can.

I also use the Battery Doctor app, which seems to help clean up whatever processes and junk files Apple allows it to access.

I know the newer phones have much longer battery life and more processing power. My little ole 5C needs all the help it can get to make it through the day!

I also use the Battery Doctor app, which seems to help clean up whatever processes and junk files Apple allows it to access.

Gotta try that one, thanks :thumbs:

Update:

Umm... there's a bunch of apps using the same name, Battery Doctor. Which one do you use?

Last edited:
On my 6s Plus I never had those battery drain out of nowhere. But I had this on my old 5s. Once I had battery drain even with all apps closed and iPhone switched off and on again and even after a reset (hold home button and on/off button till it goes off). Only thing that helped was going into the settings > reset > reset all settings. When nothing else helps, this is the answer.

On my 6s Plus I never had those battery drain out of nowhere. But I had this on my old 5s. Once I had battery drain even with all apps closed and iPhone switched off and on again and even after a reset (hold home button and on/off button till it goes off). Only thing that helped was going into the settings > reset > reset all settings. When nothing else helps, this is the answer.

I think the 4s, maybe the previous 4 as well, and the 5 are the worst phones concerning battery, memory hiccups and so on. Since my "new" iPhone is an used 5, I can't speak for any model after the original 5. But I've already guessed that the 6x series has better batteries. My 5 is the model with absolutely worst battery issues, in fact so big that Apple admitted the errors and replaced them for free. But I got mine a bit too late. Insanely f***ed-up battery that I've now replaced and since then - no problems. But I still close all apps and recharge the battery in the proper way :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom