HipstaPaks Tulum HipstaPak - Escape to the beach...

Venomator

MobiLifer
MobiStaff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 13 Pro
Available to download NOW... :thumbs:

The Tulum HipstaPak features the Juan Lens & Zama Fillum... ;)

Apparently you should "Escape to the beach" with this one... :D
image.jpeg

And, once again, more details courtesy of our good friend Eric Rozen over at Hipstography.com... :notworthy:

The Tulum HipstaPak
By Eric on January 2, 2016

To begin 2016 in style, Hipstamatic is taking us to Mexico and, more particularly, to Tulum, which is an ancient Mayan archeological site, located in the Yucatan Peninsula. It boasts some of the country’s most pristine beaches and is said to be Mexico’s most photogenic location.
So much from the tourist board… Now, on the practical side of things the Tulum HipstaPakconsists of a lens, Juan, and a film, Zama.

The beaches along the Mexican coast were the inspiration for Juan, a lens that adds contrast and slightly alters the colors.

Zama adds offset separation with the colors during development, causing interesting unexpected visual artifacts.

Don't forget to post your pictures and your first impressions on the Hipstography Facebook page.Hipsta New Year, once again and let’s make 2016 a photogenic year!

While I like Juan with some films, the Zama film is just weird. So strange that I am pretty convinced it's got bugs. And the purple obsession continues in Hipstaland.

These are Juan and Zama - maybe the only two I've played with that look ok.

With cherry shine to moderate the purples

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451852340.072238.jpg

With Berry Pop

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451852433.067077.jpg

And now for some OK Juan shots.

I like it best with BlankoC16 for nice pastels.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451852721.190907.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451852806.892367.jpg

And it looks good with the BW and monochrome films:

With Uchitel

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451852952.145138.jpg

With BlacKeys44

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451853025.021868.jpg

It brings out the color with BlacKeysBW - I did a few addtl tweaks

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451853246.584439.jpg

Now how strange is this? No matter what lens you pair Zama with you get this distortion and weirdness in the columns.

View attachment 72099

From the description, it appears that the chromatic aberration in Zama is intentional, not a bug, which I suppose is useful if you like the glitchy look. I do like the other two items, but think I'll wait until they're part of a retro pack.

PS - I love all these shots, even the "weird" Zama ones. I just love the way you compose your photos!

Thanks so much for all these examples!! I think your mono shots are beautiful... Also really like the first one using Berry Pop. Agree that Zama is a bit odd... :confused:

Not sure how this pak reflects the richness of the Mayan history :barf: - the icon graphic of the lens speaks to it more than the actual filters. <sigh>

Thanks all. That barn is up in Steamboat, Colorado. I've taken tons of photos of it in summer and winter.

I almost emailed Alan at Hipsta support to suggest that Zama is buggy. I remember when they released a lens fairly recently it did have a bug blowing out all the highlights - might have been the equally awful Louis IV - and there were also some issues with DType Plate. But I guess Zama was intentional. But as to where the Mayan/Tulum connection lies, it's a mystery to me.

They jumped the shark quite awhile ago, IMHO, although I keep new buying them all.

I'm not a big fan of the Zama. I took a day's photos with the combo and converted all to something else apart from the two below. The Juan lens seems to be ok but not remarkable in my book.

View attachment 72224
View attachment 72225
I actually think the first image looks kinda cool! And I love the colors/tones in the second image....the charcoal grey is beautiful.

I actually think the first image looks kinda cool! And I love the colors/tones in the second image....the charcoal grey is beautiful.
Thanks, the problem is I don't want to shot a load of pictures with so few being usable. It doesn't work well with photos that have a lot of dark:

image.jpeg

I changed the above photo to this:
image.jpeg

Also if there is a lot of colour...
image.jpeg

With a bit of a retro look:
image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom