APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #7 Art Games

Dragon on the loose.
4A2070EF-6453-4222-B99C-55F1089DB1C7.jpeg

I used to have iOrnament.... was very confused by it and thought “what the heck am I going to create with this??” and deleted it. Always humbled when others do the complete opposite of that and create amazing things.
I think it helps to think of it as a game. A bit like doodling. Something to fiddle with when you have spare time in a waiting room. After playing with it for a while some possibilities begin to emerge. I especially like the 3D spherical things it can make. Reading in the help files about the underlying math and geometry that makes it work is quite surprising.

Except for seeing the famous Escher tesselations I never had any experience with them at all and didn’t realize it was a “thing” until I read some of the Art Games things on Pinterest that zenjenny pointed us towards. I saw what you mentioned about starting with a piece of cardboard and cutting out a piece and taping it on the other side of the square, and then doing the same thing again it the top and bottom. It seems to me that when you draw a shape in iOrnament (make sure the background geometry lines are turned on) that as soon as you go outside the bounds of the current tile you are adding the piece onto the adjacent tile. It’s just like the cardboard square but without the scissors and tape.

I’m wondering, though, if the tesselation I remember from Escher could be made this way since in each iteration there is a progressive change in size or shape such that the design starts in one way and progresses into something else by the other side.
What you describe is exactly what we did, a cut on one side, taped to the other and a cut on top, taped to the bottom. The video I posted earlier demonstrates how to do that on Amaziograph and the same principal applies to iOrnament. The only way I can think to change the size is to warp it in another app. Hmmmmm.......

I found that using the layers in iOrnament made the colouring a lot easier. I think it defaults to your basic drawing being on the middle layer. For colouring in I used the layer below which made it easier since the lines were on top so painting just up to the line wasn’t necessary. I had the full width of the line to paint under which is a lot more leeway. Then other things you might want to draw on the top layer, such as finishing details, so if they don’t work out it is easier to erase them than if they were in the paint layer.
Also, for the first time, I saved the project within iOrnament so it could be continued later if I wanted. I saved a couple of progress versions so if I ended up getting too far off track I could go back to the half ways versions I saved.
There are a couple of things on the far right tool bar that are easy to touch by accident while working, especially if you rest your hand there while using the Apple Pencil, that will throw the whole design into some other planet, but once you figure out which one it was it goes back to normal again, whew!
I guess I have to work on finding out which planet I hit. I launched the thing outa the universe! But, this app is def worth working on. As you say there’s a lot more to it than I ever imagined.

What you describe is exactly what we did, a cut on one side, taped to the other and a cut on top, taped to the bottom. The video I posted earlier demonstrates how to do that on Amaziograph and the same principal applies to iOrnament. The only way I can think to change the size is to warp it in another app. Hmmmmm.......
What are you referring to about changing the size? In iOrnament you can just zoom in and out to get the size you want.

I guess I have to work on finding out which planet I hit. I launched the thing outa the universe! But, this app is def worth working on. As you say there’s a lot more to it than I ever imagined.
When you tap the “Tip” icon the extra tool panel appears on the left. If you tap the one with the triangle, circle and line, you can edit the size of the line you just drew. A circled appears at both ends of your line/curve and you can take hold of either circle and move it around to change the position and size of the shape you made to align it better with other elements in your tile. Also, in settings, you can turn on visibility of the lines that reveal the shape of your tiles.

Sigh. All good things must come to an end and I must close ‘Art Games’ for now. Thank you to all for participating! Don’t know about y’all but I’ve learned something about art, about apps, about channeling Picasso's ‘every child is an artist’ . . . and I’ve loved every single image for one reason or another :notworthy: :thumbs: :inlove: :) I wonder if there is room for a separate Art Games thread, and/or a separate Scribble thread? I’m open for feedback on that :D

Meantime I will pop next door and open up #8, and our lucky guest judge can get judging :confused:

Link to #8 here

Sigh. All good things must come to an end and I must close ‘Art Games’ for now. Thank you to all for participating! Don’t know about y’all but I’ve learned something about art, about apps, about channeling Picasso's ‘every child is an artist’ . . . and I’ve loved every single image for one reason or another :notworthy: :thumbs: :inlove: :) I wonder if there is room for a separate Art Games thread, and/or a separate Scribble thread? I’m open for feedback on that :D

Meantime I will pop next door and open up #8, and our lucky guest judge can get judging :confused:
This round was a lot of fun.

I’m wondering, though, if the tesselation I remember from Escher could be made this way since in each iteration there is a progressive change in size or shape such that the design starts in one way and progresses into something else by the other side.

The progressive change in size mentioned here.

I. LOVE. THIS. IDEA. Kind of a take on EOS... I think it should be a regular challenge... :sneaky:

Here’s my butterfly on a flower...

View attachment 120955
Procreate Pocket

Love this idea - both as a game and to get the ball rolling while we work on our masterpieces :thumbs: :D I’ve played this with my granddaughters. With three between 5 and 15, and all five years apart, there’s a history now of each growing in to and out of the game, which adds its own flavour to the experience.

Mr Riz, intrepid traveler, wonders to what next adventure his trusty red balloon will transport him.

View attachment 120962

Mr Riz (named in honour of his creator) hopes the kids like their Christmas present.

View attachment 120972

I saw a rooster's head and completed it in Sketchclub

View attachment 121026

Rizole’s Scribble looked like an old granny to me. :lol:

View attachment 121146

Edit: sorry, forgot to add the app - Procreate.

I confess to getting the paint brush (why is there no paint brush brush in SketchClub?) and the easel from Pixabay and making them into drawings in Icolorama.
View attachment 121157

Thank you to rizole Rizole for the squiggle. I turned it in Procreate, added another petal and Distressed FX-ed it.

View attachment 121164

View attachment 121265

Sadly, time is nearly up for this week’s Art Games (link here for some options) . younger, has Joana completed her drawing yet? TomHH, I think Jilly extended a personal invitation to you? :D ValeriGail, where are you ? :weary: RHKing ??

Blue suede shoes at the jazz & blues club.
View attachment 121332
The scarf is the very same one that Snoopy wears as the Red Baron character, always flying straight back.

And before I have to close the thread, I’d love to see some more responses to rizole ’s family scribble game. That’s it above - what can you make of/with it? dscheff , it’s not like you to pass up such an, um, challenging challenge :lol: terse ? We have a rooster, a granny, a balloon, flowers, a French Painter . . . ... rizole, what are your kids’ records for versions of one scribble?
Fabulous stuff. I'm a bit chuffed with the results, thanks for taking part. Interesting to see many interpretations
I've never played this digitally before so scribbles has always been a one shot thing. Nice to get multiple responses.
Sorry to not add anything I produced to the thread save scribbles which Isn't mine to claim. .

Fabulous stuff. I'm a bit chuffed with the results, thanks for taking part. Interesting to see many interpretations
I've never played this digitally before so scribbles has always been a one shot thing. Nice to get multiple responses.
Sorry to not add anything I produced to the thread save scribbles which Isn't mine to claim. .

You made a major contribution - fun & creativity :notworthy: :thumbs: :)

If only for the letter and the spirit of this particular challenge, the sharing of apps and processes,
the daring to go where angels fear to tread, the sheer range and volume of images
and general over & above artistic generosity and participation, it has to be
@
FundyBrian Brian and @Starzee Star.

4DD3247C-4E8A-4E65-87B1-0AB983A99076.png

Awarded equally: however, since Brian evaluated APPstract #7, maybe he can rest on his laurels and Star can choose a theme and be the judge for #8. Or some other arrangement that they work out.

Special thanks to rizole for introducing a new game — and kudos to all who ran with it.

HMs to everyone else - I loved this week! :notworthy: :inlove: :notworthy:

If only for the letter and the spirit of this particular challenge, the sharing of apps and processes,
the daring to go where angels fear to tread, the sheer range and volume of images
@

View attachment 121384
Awarded equally: however, since Brian evaluated APPstract #7, maybe he can rest on his laurels and Star can choose a theme and be the judge for #8. Or some other arrangement that they work out.

Special thanks to rizole for introducing a new game — and kudos to all who ran with it.

Whoohoo FundyBrian and Starzee !! I couldn’t agree more with your choices, Jen. (And I love the fab medal you created.) :thumbs: I absolutely loved this week’s challenge. :inlove: And I’m hoping @rizole’s Scribble Game will live on - so much fun!

@

View attachment 121384

A fair and just decision - both FundyBrian Brian and Starzee produced fantastic images and should, quite rightly, share the crown. Great work from everyone. I wish I could have participated a bit more, but apathy took hold last week. I hope to be better this week.

@

View attachment 121384

This challenge felt like an invitation to go boldly forward into the vast playground beyond my safety zone, and to do so with child-like abandon, with the assurance I would receive only encouragement for my efforts.
Thanks for the honour and to share it with Starzee only adds to it.
I’m quite happy to have Star choose the next theme and be the judge.

@

View attachment 121384

Thank you and congrats to Brian!

I am loving this challenge! I’m a little stressed to try to think of one next week, I’ll check with my friend Google.

Last edited:
This challenge felt like an invitation to go boldly forward into the vast playground beyond my safety zone, and to do so with child-like abandon, with the assurance I would receive only encouragement for my efforts.
Thanks for the honour and to share it with Starzee only adds to it.
I’m quite happy to have Star choose the next theme and be the judge.
Errr, umm, thank you?

Back
Top Bottom