Winter around Alma

Temporary return of winter.
We headed to Moncton yesterday for errands & groceries. The day started out looking spring like. Roads clear, light rain. Then large flakes replaced the rain. Soon it was accumulating fast on anything facing the wind. After a short doggie walk I had to use my car snow brush to clean the snow off Woofie before getting her back into the car.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1430306648.754569.jpg

Birch trees bending under wet snow. Lots of big snowflakes in the air. Actually, clumps of snowflakes stuck together. Incidentally, this isn't a B&W.

Last edited:
In a short time 10cm had fallen. Below the surface it was slush. Very messy on the road. Especially dangerous since so many people had already removed their snow tires. All of the road and roadside, sidewalk area had been clear. People in spring footwear were trying to keep their feet dry. Dancing from one footprint to the next.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1430307056.478198.jpg

After about 3 hours the snow changed back to rain and a lot of the snow was soon gone. You could still see roadside snow ridges where the snowplows had cleared the snow from the road but elsewhere the recent snow was gone.
About halfway way home we noticed there were no longer any signs of today's snow. It had not snowed in our home area. We often see localized weather like that.

Last edited:
Temporary return of winter.
We headed to Moncton yesterday for errands & groceries. The day started out looking spring like. Roads clear, light rain. Then large flakes replaced the rain. Soon it was accumulating fast on anything facing the wind. After a short doggie walk I had to use my car snow brush to clean the snow off Woofie before getting her back into the car.
View attachment 64836
Birch trees bending under wet snow. Lots of big snowflakes in the air. Actually, clumps of snowflakes stuck together. Incidentally, this isn't a B&W.
View attachment 64837
Just a few minutes before all the trees had been bare of snow.
These pictures all made with iPhone 6, Fusion.
In a short time 10cm had fallen. Below the surface it was slush. Very messy on the road. Especially dangerous since so many people had already removed their snow tires. All of the road and roadside, sidewalk area had been clear. People in spring footwear were trying to keep their feet dry. Dancing from one footprint to the next.
View attachment 64838
After about 3 hours the snow changed back to rain and a lot of the snow was soon gone. You could still see roadside snow ridges where the snowplows had cleared the snow from the road but elsewhere the recent snow was gone.
About halfway way home we noticed there were no longer any signs of today's snow. It had not snowed in our home area. We often see localized weather like that.
Lovely!!
I kind of like it when Mother Nature decides to be a little schizo.... :thumbs:

I decided to end this winter in Alms thread when the snow has gone. Although it is officially Spring, Winter has not yet let us go. It is an unusual year and I am enjoying making a note of the signposts of the season.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1430394583.025620.jpg

Here's a view of part of my yard. The land is all on a slope here, generally south-facing. We still have well over 50% snow cover.

You could imagine these 3 pictures as an arc from left to right on the west side of our house. Here I'm looking mostly behind the house slightly to the west but mostly North. The bright patch indicates the path into the woods. The trees are about 15 feet from the house.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1430395045.061905.jpg

The foreground bank of snow extends all across the back of the house and is still a good 3-4 feet deep in places.

Here's a neighbour's place where we buy our eggs. They are not just free-range but there's nothing to keep them off the road, except distance. They have quite a variety of chickens and some ducks.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1430395413.958171.jpg

I approached stealthily so as not to frighten them and crouched down. Then, several moved gradually towards me, not afraid at all. It shows they are all well treated.

Here's a neighbour's place where we buy our eggs. They are not just free-range but there's nothing to keep them off the road, except distance. They have quite a variety of chickens and some ducks.
View attachment 64864
I approached stealthily so as not to frighten them and crouched down. Then, several moved gradually towards me, not afraid at all. It shows they are all well treated.
How wonderful!!! :inlove:

Today, Woofie & I will be attending my daughter's birthday "pawty". Her dog is 2 today. 4 other doggie friends are invited. My birthday is tomorrow, the big 65!

I made 125 pictures of the doggy birthday pawty but unfortunately they were all on my DSLR because of the fast action involved. I got a couple of great shots but not iPhone. Oh well. You'll have to imagine dogs running around chasing each other and trying to capture the ball/frisbee or whatever else was in play. There was a group walk on the trail nearby. Lots of dog treats. A special dog birthday cake made with some meat. Looked good, too. Take home doggie bags of treats for all the dogs. The whole thing went off much better than I could have imagined.
While there I took advantage of their fibre-op wireless internet connection to do some software updates on my MacBook Pro. It was amazingly fast. 41Mb/sec over wireless. At home we're lucky to get 1.5.

Happy birthday Brian!! I would've loved to see the doggy party pics, but I will use my imagination!

A remarkable shortage of cameras at a photographer's birthday. I had to get out my own iPhone to have this picture made.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1430788096.537304.jpg

It was a successful event. We didn't run out of dishes or cutlery. Lots of food for all. The cake was pineapple carrot cake with pineapple cream cheese icing. Yum!
I had a friend there I first met in 1975 and another from 1977. Those two met for the first time!

A remarkable shortage of cameras at a photographer's birthday. I had to get out my own iPhone to have this picture made.
View attachment 65073
It was a successful event. We didn't run out of dishes or cutlery. Lots of food for all. The cake was pineapple carrot cake with pineapple cream cheese icing. Yum!
I had a friend there I first met in 1975 and another from 1977. Those two met for the first time!
Oh, it sounds (and looks!) like a wonderful day!! And man does that cake look yummy!!!! <drool> :D

For our dog walk yesterday we looked for somewhere a bit more sheltered. It was mild but the wind was strong and cold. In sheltered areas it was quite pleasant.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1431292210.104530.jpg

In a low spot with spring runoff I noticed this fish-like pattern on the water.

Walking around the yard today I confirmed that the last of the snow has gone, except in the woods behind the house. Now that the snow has gone we have lots of these.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1431292766.667797.jpg

This is piles of dirt excavated by Star-nosed moles digging tunnels underground. They eat earthworms, etc., and they soften the ground by redirecting water through their tunnels into new territory to dig in. The water softens the soil for digging. Makes a mess. Sometimes you step on the ground and it sinks down 2 or 3 inches. Lots of filling to be done to level out the ground again. This particular digging measures about 4 feet across.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1431293607.556849.jpg

Now that the rhubarb has appeared I have decided to declare this thread ended. I wonder what I'll do next.

Back
Top Bottom