Mysterious December 14th

Disastrous Wolf 7126

Curator of Collections
Real Name
Steve
Device
iPhone 11
Just saw a post on the Hipstamatic Reddit … mentioning an exciting drop of something from Hipstamatic on Dec. 14th. Anyone heard anything?

Looks like it will be some sort of new camera from their IG posts.

IMG_5871.jpeg

Just recently on IG they announced they are sending a “preview” by email to members, which I sssume is anyone who has downloaded the app?

Nothing received yet by me and apparently many others based on IG comments - will give it a little more time and then message them.

Evidently there is multi-exposure involved.
IMG_5878.jpeg

Just recently on IG they announced they are sending a “preview” by email to members, which I sssume is anyone who has downloaded the app?

Nothing received yet by me and apparently many others based on IG comments - will give it a little more time and then message them.

Evidently there is multi-exposure involved.
View attachment 198609
Deus ex capturis? :D

Looks like a Leica clone.

I got an email from Hipstamatic today about this.
IMG_2454.jpeg

Once I downloaded TestFlight, I was able to download the Beta of this new Hipstamatic (X). It looks like this:
IMG_0396.png

Here are a few of the intro pages in the app:
IMG_0392.png

IMG_0393.png

IMG_0394.png

Downloaded the preview. Seems to be an update to Hipsta x, which is now just hipstamatic I guess. More shooting options - multi exposure, fisheye, pinhole, different interface. More manual controls. Looks like a big improvement to me although I mainly edit with it and don’t shoot very often with classic or x.

Super interesting.. I really thought they were updating the old classic Hipsta w/ another camera choice. I’m a big fan of classic …hope it continues on forever…

Last edited:
So I experimented a bit today.

The new double exposure setting gave me interesting results here. First shot of a statue in the chapel, 2nd shot of the staircase.

Santa Fe’s Loretto Chapel is home to the “miraculous staircase” with two 360 degree turns and no visible means of support. It is said that the staircase was built without nails—only wooden pegs. Legend has it that in response to the sisters’ prayers, St Joseph (patron saint of carpenters) appeared one night as a simple carpenter, completing the staircase up to the choir loft, disappearing without pay or thanks upon its completion.

HMOriginal-19EDB78D-CD69-4ADE-9362-5576250D5E9F.jpeg

A pinhole shot.

Unlike the double exposure shots which can be totally edited, you have to set the camera for your preferred combo before you shoot in the pinhole setting, otherwise the pinhole effect disappears. I didn’t realize that til I got home.m

Top is the included Richmond combo. John S, BKSF and some sliders.

Below is similar shot with the colored pillars, which I wanted to get in the pinhole shot but assumed I could edit afterwards to a color combo.

HMOriginal-95EF2690-4A4E-48A6-8027-33E8F0CDC0FC.jpeg

HMOriginal-7BDB7BF8-B970-4D0E-B7C8-E84FA8E34A5F.jpeg

Well - just upgraded the X app to version 10. Lots of fanfare and snazzy visuals, but not a lot of difference. The viewfinder doesnt work, so I cant see a damn thing when shooting, but it does take photographs. The 'Shake to Develop' feature is just frankly irritating too. Nothing here to make me migrate fully from Hipstamatic Classic. I just hope they dont decide that this is the way forward and drop Classic support.

Well - just upgraded the X app to version 10. Lots of fanfare and snazzy visuals, but not a lot of difference. The viewfinder doesnt work, so I cant see a damn thing when shooting, but it does take photographs. The 'Shake to Develop' feature is just frankly irritating too. Nothing here to make me migrate fully from Hipstamatic Classic. I just hope they dont decide that this is the way forward and drop Classic support.
Yes ….never drop the classic! I want it in writing they won’t ever!

I got an email from Hipstamatic today about this.
View attachment 198617

Once I downloaded TestFlight, I was able to download the Beta of this new Hipstamatic (X). It looks like this:
View attachment 198618

Here are a few of the intro pages in the app:
View attachment 198619
View attachment 198620
View attachment 198621
Reading through the comments on Instagram on people’s thoughts on Hipstas new post related to”delay“ mode.

Kudos for them on trying something different…but it makes people angry! It‘s always been about being a fun fake camera .. the look the feel …now they’re trying to go even further. Maybe the animated video clip previews that pan around the new camera were too misleading …

Reading through the comments on Instagram on people’s thoughts on Hipstas new post related to”delay“ mode.

Kudos for them on trying something different…but it makes people angry! It‘s always been about being a fun fake camera .. the look the feel …now they’re trying to go even further. Maybe the animated video clip previews that pan around the new camera were too misleading …
Im still trying to figure it out. It said I had 18 presets, which I did, but I can only see 9.

Finally got a bug fix applied - seems I wasn't alone in my difficulties. Even with everything working - as a non member, as I still wont fork out for membership - Its not really blowing my skirt up. The interface is aesthetically better, but the square only format is too limiting. The Shake To Develop feature is just a silly gimmick. Aside from that, Im not seeing anything really justifying the hype ?

Finally got a bug fix applied - seems I wasn't alone in my difficulties. Even with everything working - as a non member, as I still wont fork out for membership - Its not really blowing my skirt up. The interface is aesthetically better, but the square only format is too limiting. The Shake To Develop feature is just a silly gimmick. Aside from that, Im not seeing anything really justifying the hype ?
I do like the wealth of combo option at my fingertips, but on the other hand, I kept it under 20 so I could get to know each one. I don’t like the ”no editing” BS. Telephoto is too close, wide to far, why can’t I just crop??? And the shake to develope…… blah. Why did we go digital in the first place?

I do like the wealth of combo option at my fingertips, but on the other hand, I kept it under 20 so I could get to know each one. I don’t like the ”no editing” BS. Telephoto is too close, wide to far, why can’t I just crop??? And the shake to develope…… blah. Why did we go digital in the first place?
After you shake it …how about delay it?
The option of having pics delivered in a digital envelope is hilarious….we all shoot so different with our phones then we ever did w/ real cameras ….cant imagine purposefully curating my pics for delivery.

Last edited:
After you shake it …how about delay it?
The option of having pics delivered in a digital envelope is hilarious….we all shoot so different our phones ….cant imagine purposefully curating my pics for delivery.
I used to do that when I dropped film off at the drug store. Maybe it appeals to the youngsters that haven’t lived it.

Looking back at this, you can edit anything from the app, Star. Just go into Photos app, Revert, do what you want and then go back into the app and reapply another combo. You can also import ordinary photos from your camera roll.

Now, having said that, I am a full member so don’t know whether that gives me more options.

Looking back at this, you can edit anything from the app, Star. Just go into Photos app, Revert, do what you want and then go back into the app and reapply another combo. You can also import ordinary photos from your camera roll.

Now, having said that, I am a full member so don’t know whether that gives me more options.
I do know about the whole revert thing. I also have a lifetime membership to the “camera club”. Prior to the update, I could crop a photo immediately and the effect was complete (frame included) on the crop. Now, if I revert and go back into the app formerly known as Hipstamatic X the editing feature does not work, and even if did, it never contained the 20 combos I created or got from others that I used. I have a couple of those combos in the original Hipsta, but not all.

Back
Top Bottom