BargainWatch *post app bargains here*

Re Pho.to Lab Pro
Biggest issue I have is max output size is 1000x1000

This is a strange app in that it is backwards to virtually every other app out there. With this app you have to select the filter or effect etc before you load the picture so there are no previews, if you go back because you didn't like what you choose you have to again pick the new effect then reload the picture. They make reloading a bit easier as it creates a screen with recently loaded images so you can pick from there rather then photoroll.

There are some nice effects but again with the low resolution it's not aimed at being printed, rather it's aimed more at the social sites. I saw this app a day or two ago and thought I would try it. Right now I am going to keep playing with it but I am not a fan of downscaling.

Re Pho.to Lab Pro

This is a strange app in that it is backwards to virtually every other app out there. With this app you have to select the filter or effect etc before you load the picture so there are no previews, if you go back because you didn't like what you choose you have to again pick the new effect then reload the picture. They make reloading a bit easier as it creates a screen with recently loaded images so you can pick from there rather then photoroll.

There are some nice effects but again with the low resolution it's not aimed at being printed, rather it's aimed more at the social sites. I saw this app a day or two ago and thought I would try it. Right now I am going to keep playing with it but I am not a fan of downscaling.
Thanks for the heads up!

Re Pho.to Lab Pro

:eek:
:barf:

I've discovered CloudCam today. It's regularly $2.99 but currently is free in the U.S. Store. It advertises itself as a way to instantly take and upload photos to Google Drive and Dropbox, bypassing your devices camera roll completely. It is meant to help those with limited storage space. See my initial take and review I submitted on the App Store after the link. I only give the app 2 stars and my trademark o_O:confused: rating.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cloudcam-camera-app-for-dropbox/id624658188?mt=8

As a camera, the app is OK. But Dropbox and Google Drive (through Google+) already support automatic photo uploads from your iPhone. I don't see the need for a stand alone app. First, you can only use it with one cloud service at a time. Second, you're limited to photos taken within CloudCam. If you use the native camera, Camera+, or PureShot (my favorites), the app is useless. It does give me the option to upload photos from my camera roll that I've taken with the native app, but why would I do that when I can either upload to the Dropbox app manually or automatically? Also, the IFTTT service and its iPhone app lets you set up custom triggers to automatically upload every single photo you take took to the same cloud services, as well as Box.net and SkyDrive.

The only benefit is the app saves the photo directly to the cloud and not the camera roll by default, which saves space. The app does take photos in full resolution, and by default uploads the full resolution to the cloud. There is an option to save a copy of your photos to the camera roll as well, but the default setting is terrible: 640 x 480. You have to enable full resolution saves separately, which the device warns "will take up more space".

If you don't have a lot of storage space, or suddenly find yourself with no more room for photos (which happens to me a lot), this feature would come in handy. I could keep shooting photos without needing to delete any from my iPhone. But overall, for most users, the app is attempting to solve a problem that really doesn't exist. All it does is take the guess work out of saving your photos to the cloud. PhotoStream is simpler, but resizes the images to share between iDevices. If you're a savvy enough user to have a Dropbox or a Google Drive account, you probably already are using those services auto-upload features. I give this app 2 stars for effort, and will proably keep it around for those "you have no more room" moments. But $2.99 is steep in my book for an app that does nothing your iPhone can't already do with existing apps. If you're curious, grab it while it's free.

Another cross-platform app... PicShop on the Amazon App Store for Android, Free App of the Day... for any other cross-platform mobile photographers out there. ;)
Didn't realize I had it on my iOS devices already.

Last edited:
Currently all JixiPix for iPhone, iPad and Mac are on sale. iPhone and iPad apps are all currently $0.99, of course a couple weeks ago I bought three at full price, oh well.....
I picked up three more today that I didn't have. I have not bought Pop Dot Comics, just not really my tastes.
Snow Daze seems like a one trick pony.
PhotoArtista HD Sketch, I have been thinking about this one but have not seen anything done with it that blows me away, anyone that has it care to post something?

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1376882755.201650.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1376882799.421960.jpg

Larry, Here's 2 examples I made in ArtistaOil just today. I've had this app for probably over a year now but really only use it maybe once a month. When I'm looking for a specific type of abstract painterly look...or like in the case of these pictures I'll go back in image blender and touch up the face details a little more and will be layering in other pieces to this composition. So I'm just using this step as part of an overall look I'm trying to achieve in the end....it does have some really neat abstract watercolor effects, and very dark oil painting looks which are better suited for landscapes then portraiture IMHO. Hope this helps.

Some great apps are currently on sale! RUN, don't walk to the App Store! :D

PhotoArtista – Sketch, PhotoArtista – Haiku, PhotoArtista/HD – Oil, Vintage Scene/HD, Romantic Photo/HD, Artoon/HD, Portrait Painter HD, Pop Dot Comics/HD, Moku Hanga/HD, NIR Color/HD, Rainy Daze/HD, Dramatic Black & White.

PhotoArtista – Sketch, PhotoArtista – Haiku, PhotoArtista/HD – Oil, Vintage Scene/HD, Romantic Photo/HD, Artoon/HD, Portrait Painter HD, Pop Dot Comics/HD, Moku Hanga/HD, NIR Color/HD, Rainy Daze/HD, Dramatic Black & White.
Catherine, have you tried Artoon/HD?

Thanks for sharing @RoseCat! :) ... but 10 days before pay day :(

I have Carolyn, and it very subtle in most instances. But I have produced some really nice images using it. :)
Thank you very much, Robert! You know I wouldn't use it straight out of the app. I was born to layer and paint. It looks like it could play well with others. I like Moku HD, but I do not have the love for the other Jixi apps that others do. I have deleted all except Moku. I will try Artoon.

Back
Top Bottom