HipstaPaks Bucktown HipstaPak - First Friday, March...

Bucktown pak initial thoughts : With the BlacKeys IR film the sky is over done void of any detail appearing pitch black in bright light conditions - I don't particularly care for that effect thus I may elect to use it on a lower contrast light day or manipulate shots using this film with post op controls . As for the Scott S. lens there is quite a bit of intended contrast with blown highlights . Again a bit too much for me , so I would either use on a lower contrast light day or see what I could manipulate down a touch with post op controls . I would also look for a lower contrast lens to try with the BlacKeys IR film (i.e. Jimmy) as a next step . *I believe good B&W IR shots are those that are not over the top with excessive blacks and glowing whites that scream : "Oh , that's an obvious IR B&W shot" - but instead have just enough of that "ghostly" appearance and contrast to make viewers ask : "What's going on here" ? Just my $0.02 cents worth . Will I still buy the Bucktown Pak ? Yes , as I believe there is enough potential with this pak to stimulate exploration with-it - plus I like the majority of Hipstamatic B&W films and believe the BlacKeys IR is still worth supporting (in spite of my initial minor gripes) .

Examples to follow . . . ? :D

A pak which emulates traditional b&w infrared film was in my wish list for a long time. Unlike its color counterparts (Alfred and LouisXIV), for which I couldn't find any use as yet, BkIR seems to have potential for several kinds of photography, including experimental work. Black skies and white leaves, IR trademarks, are present in Bucktown pak.
IMG_9826.JPG
IMG_9822.JPG

Trying other lenses with BkIR film, I found out that Marshall lens creates some kind of solarization, by inverting part of the grayscale. See what Marshall/BkIR does to the sky and to the musician skin:
IMG_9828.JPG
IMG_9820.JPG

Shadow/Highlights and Vibrancy sliders alter these effects.

A pak which emulates traditional b&w infrared film was in my wish list for a long time. Unlike its color counterparts (Alfred and LouisXIV), for which I couldn't find any use as yet, BkIR seems to have potential for several kinds of photography, including experimental work. Black skies and white leaves, IR trademarks, are present in Bucktown pak.
View attachment 90119View attachment 90120

Trying other lenses with BkIR film, I found out that Marshall lens creates some kind of solarization, by inverting part of the grayscale. See what Marshall/BkIR does to the sky and to the musician skin:
View attachment 90121View attachment 90122

Shadow/Highlights and Vibrancy sliders alter these effects.

Why isn't there a 'true' Infrared app? Is it impossible? I'd love to take infrared photos with my phone instead of my DLSR and filter.

View attachment 90098

And following ideas of juryjone and chrisD46
View attachment 90093
Bucktown, Image Blender, Mextures
Love the new Pak!

Here are a few shots from the Colorado countryside. With Apollo. Some sliders involved too.

View attachment 90094

View attachment 90095

View attachment 90096

View attachment 90097
Well, you have both totally changed my mind about getting this pak!

Absolutely LOVE your first shot, Rodolfo and Lesley, WONDERFUL demo shots as usual!

Examples to follow . . . ? :D
Rain & poor light has kept me inside thus little experimentation ... I will say after further review I am now leaning more towards using the Bucktown pak as is and then play with the sliders in post processing . Conversely , what a hoot to see the Marshall lens give a solarized look with the BlacKeys IR (who would have thought ?) I'm sure there are additional interesting lens combos waiting to be discovered with the BlacKeys IR film ! One of the more intriguing paks in a while ...

Back
Top Bottom