Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
image.jpeg

Circus of the Absurd
Image Blender, VSCO, Snapseed

A recent Wrecking Yard request (thank you zenjenny!) led to resurrecting an image that's been in my camera roll for at least a couple years(?), waiting for something inspiring to happen. Also lying in wait were several bits and pieces I shot last fall while exploring an amusement park closed for the season, saved in my "to edit" folder.

As this piece unfolded, it became clear to me that it represented a lot of the feelings I've had the past few days regarding the USA's political climate. So, ultimately, this is the result of spending WAY too much time online reading FB posts and articles (thanks a bunch, 98° gross weather.) [emoji849]

Last edited:
Love this; and, yes a very accurate representation of the current political climate in the US!

View attachment 80108
Image Blender, VSCO

A recent Wrecking Yard request (thank you zenjenny!) led to resurrecting an image that's been in my camera roll for at least a couple years(?), waiting for something inspiring to happen. Also lying in wait were several bits and pieces I shot last fall while exploring an amusement park closed for the season, saved in my "to edit" folder.

As this piece unfolded, it became clear to me that it represented a lot of the feelings I've had the past few days regarding the USA's political climate. So, ultimately, this is the result of spending WAY too much time online reading FB posts and articles (thanks a bunch, 98° gross weather.) [emoji849]

Add a few hand drawn eyeballs and Jason would be proud of that. Brilliant. :thumbs::inlove:

View attachment 80108
Image Blender, VSCO

Fab! I'm fully into collages myself at the moment. Nice mix.

Fab! I'm fully into collages myself at the moment. Nice mix.
Thanks Ann!! A high complement indeed coming from the Queen of the Collage. :notworthy:

I simply used Image Blender for the entire thing... flattening each addition, then adding a new element to another area. It worked well, was fairly easy, and had a "flow"... Also, having lots of fodder to choose from was handy. I very rarely have that as I "shoot the shot" 100% of the time, and don't remember to "gather supplies" also.

Thanks Ann!! A high complement indeed coming from the Queen of the Collage. :notworthy:

I simply used Image Blender for the entire thing... flattening each addition, then adding a new element to another area. It worked well, was fairly easy, and had a "flow"... Also, having lots of fodder to choose from was handy. I very rarely have that as I "shoot the shot" 100% of the time, and don't remember to "gather supplies" also.
Really that is the secret, Catherine. Having lots of fodder. As I was doing this physical collage course I now have lots of background stuff to work with and it makes a huge difference. However, I thought I would try putting a similar thing together all on the iPad and found Procreate excellent for this, the beauty being that you can move the bits and pieces around afterwards. I have learnt to cut and copy pieces out of a large piece. Quite tricky to start off with but damn useful when you know how. Definitely thought I would put a video together for this. I still find it easier though to get the composition right with physical bits of paper when I create my background.

I absolutely love this collage although, I hope you don't mind me saying, but the white spot on the bottom right drags the eye away from the wonderful detail and if you tone this down it would be perfect.

I thought I would try putting a similar thing together all on the iPad and found Procreate excellent for this, the beauty being that you can move the bits and pieces around afterwards. I have learnt to cut and copy pieces out of a large piece. Quite tricky to start off with but damn useful when you know how. Definitely thought I would put a video together for this.
Procreate is another app that leaves me absolutely flummoxed. I WANT to master it, but I'm really *blocked*. A video would be amazing..... <hint hint hint> :whistle:

I absolutely love this collage although, I hope you don't mind me saying, but the white spot on the bottom right drags the eye away from the wonderful detail and if you tone this down it would be perfect.
You're absolutely right! Funny that I wouldn't notice it, because now you brought it to my attention it's screaming at me..... I think I was too *inside* this while I was putting it together.... Gonna fix that because now it's really really bugging me. LOL

EDIT: I fixed it. And while I was editing it (with Snapseed using the brush feature) I was wondering how in the world I didn't see the GLARING BRIGHTNESS before?? :confused: o_O Funny, that.....

Last edited:
This is another great collage, Catherine! Good balance.
I think you've got this collage thingy sewn up Catherine. Beautiful. :inlove::thumbs:
Thanks ladies.... :inlove: I think it's mostly because I love all the bits I have from the amusement park. I have enough for another collage.... maaaaybe two, but then the well is dry I think.

Thanks ladies.... :inlove: I think it's mostly because I love all the bits I have from the amusement park. I have enough for another collage.... maaaaybe two, but then the well is dry I think.

Okay, time for a collage thread with a theme . Eg: draw on wrecking yard fodder?

I love these images, Catherine! So well put together and such a timely message!! Artwork inspired by all the political craziness of last week. Truly a silver lining! :inlove:

Love the effect of that bit of green !
:)

I love these images, Catherine! So well put together and such a timely message!! Artwork inspired by all the political craziness of last week. Truly a silver lining! :inlove:
Thank you Lisa! :notworthy: I'm never usually political but this year, well.... it's a freaking circus. :barf:

Procreate is another app that leaves me absolutely flummoxed. I WANT to master it, but I'm really *blocked*. A video would be amazing..... <hint hint hint> :whistle:

You're absolutely right! Funny that I wouldn't notice it, because now you brought it to my attention it's screaming at me..... I think I was too *inside* this while I was putting it together.... Gonna fix that because now it's really really bugging me. LOL

EDIT: I fixed it. And while I was editing it (with Snapseed using the brush feature) I was wondering how in the world I didn't see the GLARING BRIGHTNESS before?? :confused: o_O Funny, that.....
I can so relate to this. I don't know why it's sometimes so difficult to evaluate one's own work. I think the best tip an artist gave me was to flip the photo horizontally and often the mistakes are glaring because your eyes see it completely differently. Or stand with your iPad in front of a mirror to see the reverse.

Back
Top Bottom