Dreamy film produces weird edges on save

juryjone

MobiLurver
Real Name
Jerry Jobe
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
Here's a problem I get with Dreamy film, no matter the lens, flash, or device (iPad or iPhone). I liked the result as shown in Hipstamatic.
5b8d8e90bc3683f74d740fd957c006db.jpg

But when I save it, I get weird edges. Look at the statue and plants at the lower left and inside the window.
7883cbc3e2e70edb742055598320cdf4.jpg

Does anyone else get this?

Here's a problem I get with Dreamy film, no matter the lens, flash, or device (iPad or iPhone). I liked the result as shown in Hipstamatic.

But when I save it, I get weird edges. Look at the statue and plants at the lower left and inside the window.

Isn't it supposed to look like that ?

To me it looks like there's a "grunge" frame associated with the film that apparently you can't toggle off?

To me it looks like there's a "grunge" frame associated with the film that apparently you can't toggle off?

I wouldn't consider it a frame, because it extends into the center. And there's the issue that I don't see any problems until I look at the saved image. The image in the app doesn't show the wild artifacts.

I wouldn't consider it a frame, because it extends into the center. And there's the issue that I don't see any problems until I look at the saved image. The image in the app doesn't show the wild artifacts.

I zoomed in on your original and can see the little blue dots now that I know what I'm looking for. Very strange!

I tried to replicate but my photos do not do this. Other than small dust bunnies that I apologize for you see nothing bad when you zoom in.

d2bfd7283f53fb9654212ea8dda15c3e.jpg

Does it happen in other films? Or cameras?

HipstamaticPhoto-505152865.927664.jpg

HipstamaticPhoto-505160441.734740.jpg

I tried to replicate Jerry's problem, but my images don't show that horrible blue edge that blights Jerry's photo. These were done with the same combo - the second one was put through twice.

I've taken a couple of photos, one with Hipstamatic and one with the native camera, that did not have a problem with Dreamy. They were not pre-sharpened and did not have strong highlights. Maybe it's a combo of film and initial image, rather than an easily reproducible software problem.

I tried to replicate Jerry's problem, but my images don't show that horrible blue edge that blights Jerry's photo. These were done with the same combo - the second one was put through twice.

Jill, could the gray line along the highlight in the vine and the dot on the highlight to the left be a manifestation of the problem? Do you see those in Hipstamatic before saving?

4b5c18d83e348e56021552b20a49b454.jpg

Jill, could the gray line along the highlight in the vine and the dot on the highlight to the left be a manifestation of the problem? Do you see those in Hipstamatic before saving?

4b5c18d83e348e56021552b20a49b454.jpg
Yes it is. Well spotted. I didn't notice that, but you're absolutely right. I wonder which part of the combo causes that. Maybe the flash?

I don't have a problem in this image with the Neville lens/Otto film combo. Off to try some more!
5d0831c6af4c94ee79765370e1eade5d.jpg

Yes, Neville used to be one of my favourite films and I had to stop using it because of this. It occurred after Hipstamatic 300. Only occurs with white, juryjone.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! I didn't get it within the white, but look at the yellow and green stray pixels lining the windows. Neville/Otto.
0b1801323bc38a104f99c15d25ef14fd.jpg

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! I didn't get it within the white, but look at the yellow and green stray pixels lining the windows. Neville/Otto.
0b1801323bc38a104f99c15d25ef14fd.jpg
This is just so annoying. Can any of them actuallly be trusted? Must we enlarge every image to be sure that it's okay? Just suppose that we wanted to have them enlarged and printed. I would be very disappointed (very) if this happened on a print.

IMG_0625.JPG
On the left, Dreamy; on the right, Neville/Otto. As far as I'm concerned, this should be their top priority after fixing crashes. No more new paks, no new features - even before fixing cropping. The problem is blatantly obvious with this image, but as Jill says, we should not have to inspect images at the pixel level after save. I would certainly not use Hipstamatic for anything I wanted to print until this is fixed.

Last edited:
View attachment 86206 On the left, Dreamy; on the right, Neville/Otto. As far as I'm concerned, this should be their top priority after fixing crashes. No more new paks, no new features - even before fixing cropping. The problem is blatantly obvious with this image, but as Jill says, we should not have to inspect images at the pixel level after save. I would certainly not use Hipstamatic for anything I wanted to print until this is fixed.
Is there any chance that this has been fixed in the latest update? I'm off to see.

Edit: No is the answer. Dreadful. This is Dreamy (ha!).
HipstamaticPhoto-505239221.791254.jpg

Yes, Neville used to be one of my favourite films and I had to stop using it because of this. It occurred after Hipstamatic 300. [/USER].
Same here.
I reported the Neville issue months ago. Allan said he transfered the problem to the Hipsta developer.
After so much time without fixing that issue, I conclude that they must have other priorities.

Last edited:
View attachment 86206 On the left, Dreamy; on the right, Neville/Otto. As far as I'm concerned, this should be their top priority after fixing crashes. No more new paks, no new features - even before fixing cropping. The problem is blatantly obvious with this image, but as Jill says, we should not have to inspect images at the pixel level after save. I would certainly not use Hipstamatic for anything I wanted to print until this is fixed.
:barf: :poo: :barf:

Back
Top Bottom